[OB] Swearing on Roshar (Oathbringer Edition)

ccstat

On 11/18/2017 at 9:52 PM, ccstat said:

"What in Kelek's name”—(Talik) notable because Rysn is amused at the usage of a Vorin curse by a Reshi trader

Upon further examination, I don't find this one as all that odd anymore.

Talik is a Reshi, but we know he spent time in Thaylenah learning to be a merchant. Per the Coppermind, Thaylenah is primarily a Vorin nation, in spite of the Passions. Spending a good deal of time in a Vorin nation would probably help one pick up some choice curses from it.

Maybe we can use that as a clue, if we see any other foreigners using Vorin curses.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:52 PM, ccstat said:

To my knowledge, the list is exhaustive for WoK, WoR, and Edgedancer. I have added all the new instances from OB of which I'm aware, but I'm sure that I have missed some.

This is important work you are doing here, seriously awesome post,

Added two I failed to include earlier (Vev knows - Shallan, and Merciful Domi - Riino)

12 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

This is important work you are doing here, seriously awesome post,

12 hours ago, Extesian said:

This is wonderful. Bless you. 

Thanks! I'm glad it's being appreciated. 

On 11/24/2017 at 6:05 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Upon further examination, I don't find this one as all that odd anymore.

Good point. I've edited the commentary.

Edited by ccstat

I can't be the only person who would occasionally like a This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules* or This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules thrown in the dialogue once in a while, even the most extroverted characters could benefit from the occasional hard swear, id imagine a word like either of those two would be universal (no names of gods or anything like that) 

Edited by Obvcop

9 hours ago, Obvcop said:

I can't be the only person who would occasionally like a storm or rust thrown in..

FYI, this site has a swear filter that replaces common Earth profanities with various in-world curses from Sanderson's works. :)

(Although it looks like your post has also been modded in accordance with site rules.)

Edited by ccstat

• 3 weeks later...

I think Malata's 'Frozen' as a derogatory remark is more linked to her bond with spark and her order than her region.  Similar to how Starving applies only with Lift, I feel Frozen refers to the abrasive/divisive nature of Dustbringers and their tendency to set things on fire.

Given the heat nature of her spren, and how much she seems to communicate with it, frozen as a derogatory seems like it would be a Dustbringer insult for others.  Almost if Windrunners called people 'Earthbound', or Lightweavers disparaged people's art, or Jasnah attacking people's logic.

• 2 weeks later...

Also "Blood of my fathers" or something along those lines is used frequently by Dalinar

EDIT: Just saw the hidden comments in the original post and it was there. Well done, a rather thorough investigation I would say.

Edited by AC12

• Chaos locked this topic