[OB] We have a new Shard....??

joesleepsalot

Edit: never mind this theory, I did some digging and figured out “intent”

I’m reading through part 2 and am about 99% sure I caught a new Shard Hint. That being said, I’m an extremely busy person and I don’t have time to live on this website and research every topic ad nauseum (like I did with all things Tolkien when I was in college) before I post. So if it’s already been posted my apologies.

the part where Odium appears to Dalinar at the end of part 2... in both the NOOK and Hardcover version, Odium capitalizes the word “Intent”. Here’s the quote:

“Ah, all right then,” Odium said. He smiled, a twinkle in his eyes. “Oh, don’t fret so. These things must be done properly. I will go if you release me, but only if you do it by Intent.” Pg 550 hardcover, 595 in NOOK. 

We know that Odium s bound somehow, that Honor and him had an agreement. There are rules Odium must follow with regards to his current restricted status. 

My best guess is that Intent is one of the shards, and Honor/Odium made a binding agreement about something (which stipulates the conditions of Odium’s imprisonment) in the name of Intent. Brandon doesn’t randomly capitalize words, especially in the context of us having our first interaction with Odium. Having a typo in such a high visibility scene would be a no-no. He’s also not one to make accidents like that. 

In OB, “Intent” appears 32x. Only once is it capitalized. It appears 28 times in TWOK, capitalized once only as the first word to a sentence: “actions are not evil. Intent is evil, and Jasnah intent had been to stop men from harming others.” (573, nook, relevance probably is zero) 

Arcanum Unbounded: pg 14 in nook, discussing the investiture rules on Sel. “In addition, the rules of perception and intent are greatly magnified on Sel...” intent is mentioned again as a vital portion of the investiture on Sel, pg42 in nook. 

I did a quick search on my nook for all appearances on “intent” in literally every cosmere book. Every form of investiture in the cosmere relies on the user’s intent as a critical piece. And Odium just capitalized it. 

Perhaps someone whos lucky enough to ask Brandon the next question could ask him about this theory lol. If I’m in left field and there’s already some other expanded theory/word on Intent, I’m all ears. 

Edited by joesleepsalot

I did something similar. I thought I had picked out 3 new shards: Wisdom, Purity, and Fortune. 

Then I went back and realized that only Fortune was really defensible and I'm pretty sure it's capitalized like Intent, Connection, and Passion are capitalized instead of being a new shard.

I still think that two of the three could be shards though.

Yeah, it can be vague. Intent capitalized is, well, the intent of a shard; what the shard is supposed to do: Cultivation, Honor, Preservation, Ruin, etc are all Intents of the shards. Wisdom could be a shard, but it's very vague; it could be Hoid's manner of speaking, or it could be him casually name-dropping a new shard. Trouble is also that he uses "wisdom" at the start of his sentence, so we don't know wheter it should be capitalized in that sentence. Purity... Is that from that theory about a planet in... Threnody's (?) system? I can't remember it from Oathbringer. As for Fortune, it's a Spiritual property, just like Connection, Investiture and Identity, and appears as such in the Feruchemical table. I personally think it is related to the ability to predict the future.

• Chaos locked this topic