A few questions about Allomantic Metals. Spoilers: All

WalterWhiteVevo

Hey everyone I'm new to these forums but I had a few questions that I wanted to ask that I got from reading the original Mistborn trilogy as well as the newer Wax and Wayne books. My first question has to do with the way the preservation used the mists in The Hero of Ages to snap allomancers. If my memory serves me correctly, (and please do correct me if I'm wrong cus it's been a while) 1/16th of those who fell ill to the mists became especially sick. Those who became especially sick turned out to be atium mistings. We later learn however that atium is not one of the 16 base metals, but one of the God metals. This means that there are at least 17 possible mistings. Shouldn't 1/17th of those who fell to the mists become atium mistings then? Also, what about malatium, is it possible to have a malatium misting? And finally, what about lerasium, is it possible to have an alloy of lerasium?

Edited by WalterWhiteVevo

It should be 1/16 because Preservation removed aluminum (spoilered for length)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/35/#e2524

Spoiler

wicktacular

At the end of the first Mistborn trilogy it's really significant that 1/16th of the soldiers who got really sick are now atium Mistings.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

wicktacular

But we know that there's more than sixteen metals. Wh--

wicktacular

questioner's paraphrase, delete after review: So, were the other remaining group of soldiers that fell sick all still Mistings of the other base metals?

So were there-- were 1/16th of the rest of them just *inaudible* just not significant?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Sixteen that he-- when Preservation set that all up. He, number one, was not all there. But he was trying to create sixteen as a symbol to say, "Hey, catch this. I've given you a clue-- uh-- help." And so it was devised specifically for that. "*inaudible* Something's going on here."

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, they would have been Mistings of other types as well.

wicktacular

Did he bump one of the other types then to make it sixteen?

Brandon Sanderson

Chromium.

wicktacular

Okay. Do you have in your head *inaudible*?

wicktacular

Chromium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's right. It would probably have been one of the metals that was difficult to get at that level of technology. It would have been chromium - chromium would be hard gather at that time. Actually, no, it would have been aluminum. *about a minute later, while signing someone else's book* Hold on, there's a caveat to that last answer. Let me finish signing this and expand on that. *pause* So, it would still have been aluminum, but not for the reason your thinking. It would have been aluminum, but there's an asterisk next to that answer.

wicktacular

Okay. Interesting.

Brandon Sanderson

Hard to get chromium.

wicktacular

I've been thinking about--

Brandon Sanderson

Oh no! He bumped aluminum. Yeah, he bumped aluminum. Sorry I had to-- I changed my mind.

wicktacular

Oh!

Brandon Sanderson

*a moment later*

Okay, Chad? I have a <qualification> for you. I'll do this and then we'll...

*a moment later*

So...

wicktacular

On the sixteen or the *inaudible*...

Brandon Sanderson

The sixteen. So the answer is "yes," but it's not something-- it's not what you're thinking it is. 

wicktacular

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Alright, there's an asterisk on it, okay? There's an asterisk on it, it's not what you're thinking. Uh, you're making-- you're making assumptions.

Assuming that removing aluminum mistings also removed duralumin mistings, there should have also been malatium mistings.

Lerasium alloys make people into mistings

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/9/#e7624

Spoiler

Questioner

I was also wondering if... I just finished reading the Ars Arcanum in the back of Bands of Mourning and I heard it mention that god metals could be alloyed to give different abilities or traits.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Could you give an example of one?

Brandon Sanderson

So, you could alloy lerasium with certain metals of the sixteen in the table and get, if you had just enough lerasium, it would make them a misting of those powers.

Hi WalterWhiteVevo, welcome! Great questions! I will do my best to answer them.

15 minutes ago, WalterWhiteVevo said:

We later learn however that atium is not one of the 16 base metals, but one of the God metals. This means that there are at least 17 possible mistings.

This is a good question! Bravo to you for noticing the discrepancy here. Brandon has said that Preservation intentionally modified the Metallic Arts to include Atium and Malatium and to remove two other metals. See this link to Arcanum, the new repository for all of our collective knowledge: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/35-arcanum-unbounded-hoboken-signing/#e2524 Note, I searched "preservation+atium" to find this.

19 minutes ago, WalterWhiteVevo said:

Also, what about malatium, is it possible to have a malatium misting?

It used to be possible to have a malatium misting but it no longer seems to be. Here is the Arcanum link where I searched "malatium+misting": https://wob.coppermind.net/events/165-steelheart-san-francisco-signing/#e3000 

21 minutes ago, WalterWhiteVevo said:

And finally, what about lerasium, is it possible to have an alloy of lerasium?

Indeed it is! Here is a WoB (word of Brandon) from Arcanum. I searched "lerasium+alloy" to find this one: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/9-calamity-philadelphia-signing/#e7624

There ya go! I think that covers it, eh? Be sure to check out Arcanum. It has a ton of info. Just be careful as it also has spoilers for all of the Cosmere books so if you have not read all of them yet tread carefully.

It's possible he misspoke there, since in other WoBs he mentioned cadmium and bendalloy specifically, and they're genuinely impossible to have been sourced during the Final Empire era while aluminum was available and known to have an application to the Metallic Arts so it would be strange for that one to have been removed, even if it's effectively useless to a Misting. You can also see in the WoB where he says aluminum that he's bouncing between it and chromium (which aren't even linked metals) and when you read the full quote you can see that he was clearly dividing his attention, which makes it seem more likely that he simply goofed there. Despite being The Man With All The Answers he does sometimes make mistakes, especially later in signings when he's been talking to fans for hours and it's getting late.

Edited by Weltall

8 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

It should be 1/16 because Preservation removed aluminum (spoilered for length)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/35/#e2524

Reveal hidden contents

wicktacular

At the end of the first Mistborn trilogy it's really significant that 1/16th of the soldiers who got really sick are now atium Mistings.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

wicktacular

But we know that there's more than sixteen metals. Wh--

wicktacular

questioner's paraphrase, delete after review: So, were the other remaining group of soldiers that fell sick all still Mistings of the other base metals?

So were there-- were 1/16th of the rest of them just *inaudible* just not significant?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Sixteen that he-- when Preservation set that all up. He, number one, was not all there. But he was trying to create sixteen as a symbol to say, "Hey, catch this. I've given you a clue-- uh-- help." And so it was devised specifically for that. "*inaudible* Something's going on here."

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, they would have been Mistings of other types as well.

wicktacular

Did he bump one of the other types then to make it sixteen?

Brandon Sanderson

Chromium.

wicktacular

Okay. Do you have in your head *inaudible*?

wicktacular

Chromium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's right. It would probably have been one of the metals that was difficult to get at that level of technology. It would have been chromium - chromium would be hard gather at that time. Actually, no, it would have been aluminum. *about a minute later, while signing someone else's book* Hold on, there's a caveat to that last answer. Let me finish signing this and expand on that. *pause* So, it would still have been aluminum, but not for the reason your thinking. It would have been aluminum, but there's an asterisk next to that answer.

wicktacular

Okay. Interesting.

Brandon Sanderson

Hard to get chromium.

wicktacular

I've been thinking about--

Brandon Sanderson

Oh no! He bumped aluminum. Yeah, he bumped aluminum. Sorry I had to-- I changed my mind.

wicktacular

Oh!

Brandon Sanderson

*a moment later*

Okay, Chad? I have a <qualification> for you. I'll do this and then we'll...

*a moment later*

So...

wicktacular

On the sixteen or the *inaudible*...

Brandon Sanderson

The sixteen. So the answer is "yes," but it's not something-- it's not what you're thinking it is. 

wicktacular

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Alright, there's an asterisk on it, okay? There's an asterisk on it, it's not what you're thinking. Uh, you're making-- you're making assumptions.

Assuming that removing aluminum mistings also removed duralumin mistings, there should have also been malatium mistings.

Lerasium alloys make people into mistings

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/9/#e7624

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

I was also wondering if... I just finished reading the Ars Arcanum in the back of Bands of Mourning and I heard it mention that god metals could be alloyed to give different abilities or traits.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Could you give an example of one?

Brandon Sanderson

So, you could alloy lerasium with certain metals of the sixteen in the table and get, if you had just enough lerasium, it would make them a misting of those powers.

Thanks for the reply, very helpful!

8 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Hi WalterWhiteVevo, welcome! Great questions! I will do my best to answer them.

This is a good question! Bravo to you for noticing the discrepancy here. Brandon has said that Preservation intentionally modified the Metallic Arts to include Atium and Malatium and to remove two other metals. See this link to Arcanum, the new repository for all of our collective knowledge: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/35-arcanum-unbounded-hoboken-signing/#e2524 Note, I searched "preservation+atium" to find this.

It used to be possible to have a malatium misting but it no longer seems to be. Here is the Arcanum link where I searched "malatium+misting": https://wob.coppermind.net/events/165-steelheart-san-francisco-signing/#e3000 

Indeed it is! Here is a WoB (word of Brandon) from Arcanum. I searched "lerasium+alloy" to find this one: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/9-calamity-philadelphia-signing/#e7624

There ya go! I think that covers it, eh? Be sure to check out Arcanum. It has a ton of info. Just be careful as it also has spoilers for all of the Cosmere books so if you have not read all of them yet tread carefully.

Thank you for the super helpful reply. Also I'll be sure to check out Arcanum!

• Chaos locked this topic