The Lord Ruler Survived Decapitation?

Quazar87

I think WoB said that he wasn't being truthful there. I can see this happening, since losing the head would disconnect you from your source of gold, and screw you over. The solution is, of course, to implant gold metalminds into your skull, which should be enough to regrow at least the vital organs in a pinch.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lord Ruler would probably also be compounding Pewter, making a clean decapitation pretty much impossible.

Hitting someone with a koloss blade only to have it get stuck and slowly be pushed out by the healing of compounded gold? That would be terrifying.

You could successfully cut the Lord Ruler's head off by simultaneously cutting his head off with multiple koloss battle axes, but setting that up would be pretty hard

Maybe you could immobilize his brain through pain to stop him from reflexively activating his regeneration, then cutting his head off.

Hmm... Seems like the only sure-fire way of killing the Lord ruler is by using Nightblood to cut his head off.

If you're sure he's not burning Nicrosil, you could just try a Shardblade. Gold shouldn't be able to heal that, since a lifetime of sitting around in a hospital won't heal it, so a few years of concentrated healing shouldn't either.

If you're sure he's not burning Nicrosil, you could just try a Shardblade. Gold shouldn't be able to heal that, since a lifetime of sitting around in a hospital won't heal it, so a few years of concentrated healing shouldn't either.

INTERVIEW: Apr 15th, 2013

Reddit AMA 2013 (Verbatim)

KURKISTAN ()

Does a limb that has been "severed" by a Shardblade have any Hemalurgic bindpoints? If the same limb was then cut off more conventionally, would a Bloodmaker ferring be able to grow it back?

BRANDON SANDERSON

A severed Shardblade limb needs repair to the soul before it would function again. A Bloodmaker would be able to heal it without needing to grow it back.

Gold isn't concentrated healing. It's based on Cognitive perception– you heal to how you view yourself, and how you are viewed by others.

Wouldn't the Lord Ruler be a more powerful Compounder than Miles in the same way that Elend was a more powerful Allomancer than the other Mistborns, since their powers come direct from the source rather than diluted through the generations?

Gold isn't concentrated healing. It's based on Cognitive perception– you heal to how you view yourself, and how you are viewed by others.

If you've cut his neck with a Shardblade, his soul's gone. If his soul's been burned out through his eyes I doubt he'd be able to use any sort of Investiture to heal himself.

Regrowth was able to heal Szeth from a Shardblade hit to the spine after falling for hundreds of feet. Feruchemical gold works under the same principles, so if TLR is fast enough to heal before it reaches the brain, he's completely fine. Hit him in the head, however, and even he's dead.

Regrowth was able to heal Szeth from a Shardblade hit to the spine after falling for hundreds of feet. Feruchemical gold works under the same principles, so if TLR is fast enough to heal before it reaches the brain, he's completely fine. Hit him in the head, however, and even he's dead.

Well, he can't heal when he's dead. Assuming he compounds gold continuously while you swing, it all depends on how quick Shardblade kills are, and how quick Feruchemical gold works. The question is if the Blade could effectively "sever" the spine before Feruchemical gold can repair the damage.

You might be right, but Szeth was healed by an external force rather than an internal one. And dying that way specifically cut off his spiritual connection to his Honourblade, and might mean that he doesn't even have a soul any more for all we know.

If he didn't have a soul, I think he'd be rather dead.

I don't see why that has to be the case. And it seems like being soulless would be a big advantage for a wielder of Nightblood.

Edited by Wrath

I don't see why that has to be the case. And it seems like being soulless would be a big advantage for a wielder of Nightblood.

Being soulless would mean you couldn't use it. And when Shardblades sever the soul, it kills whatever they sever. Lack of soul kills. Cognitive healing can regenerate the soul, which is what happened to Szeth. Kaladin managed it earlier. Edited by Shaggai

Being soulless would mean you couldn't use it. And when Shardblades sever the soul, it kills whatever they sever. Lack of soul kills. Cognitive healing can regenerate the soul, which is what happened to Szeth. Kaladin managed it earlier.

Just a minor clarification here– even before he was revived, Szeth's soul wasn't fully gone, just mostly. If it had gone all the way up his spine to his brain, he'd have lost his soul, and that couldn't be regenerated. I think you meant that, but I'm not quite sure.

Just a minor clarification here– even before he was revived, Szeth's soul wasn't fully gone, just mostly. If it had gone all the way up his spine to his brain, he'd have lost his soul, and that couldn't be regenerated. I think you meant that, but I'm not quite sure.

I thought that Shardblades severed the soul from the body, but it can be regenerated as long as the brain is in good enough condition. I might have been misinterpreting that though.

Here's a question though: If you lose your head, does the gold in your stomach still work for you? Can you still burn it in your body? Your head? I'm guessing that you would need gold on/in your head if you wanted to survive decapitation. 

• Chaos locked this topic