Storing Identity with a soulstamp

Sirscott13

So suppose you were to soul stamp yourself to change your identity, but then you used feruchemy to store that sense of identity. You do this repeatedly with a soul stamp and store the identity. Could you use this identity stored to change your abilities at a whim? 

For example you soul stamp yourself so that you are a warrior, store that, then stamp yourself the next day you stamped yourself to be an expert marksman, then stored that. You did this with many different identities so that during a battle you could just tap the metal mind and change in and out of a different identity with different skills. One moment you are a monk who kicks but with his bare hands, then you pick up a sword, tap a swordsman skill and slice a few opponents, then tap an acrobat personality to leap around the battle field and so on and so forth

Speculations?

So suppose you were to soul stamp yourself to change your identity, but then you used feruchemy to store that sense of identity. You do this repeatedly with a soul stamp and store the identity. Could you use this identity stored to change your abilities at a whim? 

For example you soul stamp yourself so that you are a warrior, store that, then stamp yourself the next day you stamped yourself to be an expert marksman, then stored that. You did this with many different identities so that during a battle you could just tap the metal mind and change in and out of a different identity with different skills. One moment you are a monk who kicks but with his bare hands, then you pick up a sword, tap a swordsman skill and slice a few opponents, then tap an acrobat personality to leap around the battle field and so on and so forth

Speculations?

This sounds like the most awesome version of Multiple personality disorder I'ver ever heard of. :-)

The best part is that you do not have to create a perfect soul stamp. Even if the stamp only takes for a minute, you store it, then store another minute, followed by another, and another, so that when you do tap it, you can tap a continuos stamp even if it was not perfect. 

There was a similar topic here that might give you food for thought as well. 

I think it's pretty safe to say though, that its probably not this simple ;)

For Shai to use a soul stamp on herself, she had to have had the basics of the trainings and such for each identity/persona that she took on. For her Warrior personality, she had to live with that warlike tribe and train in their ways for a good amount of time. 

There was a similar topic here that might give you food for thought as well. 

I think it's pretty safe to say though, that its probably not this simple ;)

For Shai to use a soul stamp on herself, she had to have had the basics of the trainings and such for each identity/persona that she took on. For her Warrior personality, she had to live with that warlike tribe and train in their ways for a good amount of time. 

That is interesting, granted I am being very simple in my theory. I am treating this as a fun experiment. I would like to think it could work but limited to the region (so you couldn't tap the identity on another planet). 

Course, there's the whole issue with Sel magic not working away from the homeland...

Cosmere Q&A - 17th Shard (Verbatim) ODIUM'S_SHARD

Can magic systems from one world work in any given other?

BRANDON SANDERSON

For some, it will take quite a bit of work, but it's possible to get them each to work. Sel's magics are regional, and so they are going to be tough. Scadrial's magics are the easiest.

Tough, not impossible. We also already have a Sel-born Worldhopper.

Edited by Pechvarry

Tough, not impossible. We also already have a Sel-born Worldhopper.

Yeah, that is what I was bringing up. Based on his appearance in tWoK, either 1) his magic is working and he's using Aon Shao based magic to cover up his Elantrian nature: "Galladon, stunned, rose... his skin a dark metallic silver" OR 2) being so far from the regional base of his investiture (the Dor), has reverted him to a more normal looking human. 

His presence on Roshar doesn't indicate that Sel magic does or does not work, only that he is there. 

As to whether a soulstamp would work to store a different identity? Makes my brain hurt!

It's hard enough speculating on how the magic systems are really working on their own world without trying to figure out how they interact when on others! ;)

Would you even be able to tap your alternate identities? After all, you can't tap someone else's metalminds, and that is based on Identity. If the stamp is different enough from normal you, then you'd have to be stamped again with it to tap from that stamp's metalminds.

not necessarily, Your own identity changes through out your life and and feruchemists can tap that identity stored tribute when they are at the end of their life even if that attribute was from the beginning of their life. 

The way Identity is soul stamped isn't changing who they are, just their history. History doesn't mean different tapping. I am sure TLR is quite the different person then he was when he was a kid. 

• Chaos locked this topic