[OB] Urithiru is a central location for spren

Lazarus52980

There seems to have been a lot of talk in the Oathbringer chapters about spren appearing in Urithiru seemingly more often than we have seen then before.  It's possible that Mr. Sanderson just wants to show us more types of spren, or wants to display the emotions of the characters through the appearance of them, but it seems to me that we see spren FAR more often in Urithiru than we've seen them other places.  Is it possible that there is some sort of spren gathering place in the cognitive realm where Urithiru stands?  What implications would that have for the people in Urithiru?  Could it mean that a listener in Urithiru (Such as Rlaine) could more easily bond a spren and change forms even when not in a highstorm?  

Also, there is a spren city whose name escapes me.  Maybe Urithiru is at the same location, but just in the physical realm side?

Or it could be the cracks between the Cognitive and Physical realms have widened now that people are starting to bond spren again. Thereby, other spren are able to show themselves more often. It might not be a location thing. 

Edit: a word

Edited by ChazBolt

4 minutes ago, ChazBolt said:

Or it could be the doors cracks between the Cognitive and Physical realms have widened now that people are starting to bond spren again. Thereby, other spren are more able to show themselves more often. It might not be a location thing. 

That's an interesting point.  The might explain the "rare" gloom spren that showed up around Kaladin.   I guess we'll have to wait until we see  more locations in the world to see if this plays out as you propose.

I am guessing that @Lazarus52980 was alluding to the city of Silverlight.  I don't think that is likely, simply because I would expect a Cognitive City to exist in a relatively uninhabited space to minimize disruptions.  I also feel like we'd have had a hint on the maps of Shadesmar.

That being said, don't lose sight of the physical/cognitive connection.  It could be an effect of the bonds, or it could just be that a lot of our characters have attracted spren, and we know (WoB, I think?) that people with spren tend to attract more spren.

As for the gloomspren, plainly it is time for another Honorspren-led hunt!

Gloomspren appeared with Kaladin, so I don't think it's Urithiru.

The cause could be the everstorm stirring the CR and pushing some spren to act differently or to move to a part of CR where they are more likely to briefly manifest in the Physical Realm due to momentary attraction.

Land on Roshar is Sea in Shadesmare and vice versa.  It is possible that there is something about Urithiru that attracts spren or makes them more willing to appear there, but I don't think it lines up with Silverlight or any other CR spren city/village.

Unless...... Spren live in floating cities like Cloud City or New Genesis!

1 hour ago, Lazarus52980 said:

That's an interesting thought.  I don't see why some could not, but it might be hard for anyone but Kaladin to visit them...

Elsecallers were called the true masters of the CR. WR may not even be able to enter it without help. In fact I see no reason for the all KR to be able to enter the CR in like Jasnah did, it's probably the EC and WS due to Transportation, LW to a degree plus Lift, but she isn't the average surgebinder.

3 hours ago, Aleksiel said:

Elsecallers were called the true masters of the CR. WR may not even be able to enter it without help. In fact I see no reason for the all KR to be able to enter the CR in like Jasnah did, it's probably the EC and WS due to Transportation, LW to a degree plus Lift, but she isn't the average surgebinder.

We've already seen Kaladin glimpse the Cognitive Realm when he was practicing his surgebinding for the first time. 

It's obviously much easier for those with transportation or soulcasting, but I don't think it's a complete limitation. 

Just now, Calderis said:

We've already seen Kaladin glimpse the Cognitive Realm when he was practicing his surgebinding for the first time. 

It's obviously much easier for those with transportation or soulcasting, but I don't think it's a complete limitation. 

Surgebinders interact with the CR in way non-surgebinders can't, yet a glimpse is not the same as entering it physically. I suppose it could go either way, but I am skeptical. EC, LW and WS are supposed to have a better/higher ability to interact with CR, EC being the 'true masters'. If any surgebinder can waltz in the CR, it really cheapens it. 

8 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

Surgebinders interact with the CR in way non-surgebinders can't, yet a glimpse is not the same as entering it physically. I suppose it could go either way, but I am skeptical. EC, LW and WS are supposed to have a better/higher ability to interact with CR, EC being the 'true masters'. If any surgebinder can waltz in the CR, it really cheapens it. 

The only ones capable of fully entertaining are Elsecallers and Willshapers via transportation. 

Soulcasting just "glimpses" albeit more heavily than what Kaladin did. In order to fully enter, like Jasnah did, you need either a perpendicularity, or transportation to... Make a temporary perpendicularity. 

Spoilered for length and a SH reference. 

Spoiler

Bromo_Sapien

When somebody travels into the cognitive realm, what happens to their physical self? To their body? Like Elsecalling or through a Shardpool?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, well it depends on the way they’re doing it. The two ways you’ve mentioned transport the physical body. It’s actually creating a rift and slipping them through. But there are other ways that you kind of peek in, where you’re body’s saying it’s a little more astral projection-y in those cases.

Bromo_Sapien

So their physical self would also be in the cognitive realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Bromo_Sapien

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Which is weird.

Bromo_Sapien

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

But yes, um...

Bromo_Sapien

As opposed to somebody like Kelsier who died and no longer has a physical self.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, right. Or when Shallan is soulcasting and peeking in, and things like this. Like… Um… It can still be dangerous, because what’s happening is that little soul bubble there that’s manifesting into a version of your soul and then things can get at it in different ways and stuff. So... But yes, going in physically means you just pop between realms, and yeah, yeah…

Bromo_Sapien

And when they leave the cognitive realm their physical self just leaves the cognitive realm the same...

Brandon Sanderson

Yep, mhm, yep.

Bromo_Sapien

Perfect.

Brandon Sanderson

Basically you’re transferring into investiture and popping out of investiture, so...

So Shallan "glimpses" the Cognitive in the same way as Kaladin, soulcasting just makes her inherently better at it. At least that's my interpretation. 

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The only ones capable of fully entertaining are Elsecallers and Willshapers via transportation. 

Soulcasting just "glimpses" albeit more heavily than what Kaladin did. In order to fully enter, like Jasnah did, you need either a perpendicularity, or transportation to... Make a temporary perpendicularity. 

Spoilered for length and a SH reference. 

Reveal hidden contents

Bromo_Sapien

When somebody travels into the cognitive realm, what happens to their physical self? To their body? Like Elsecalling or through a Shardpool?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, well it depends on the way they’re doing it. The two ways you’ve mentioned transport the physical body. It’s actually creating a rift and slipping them through. But there are other ways that you kind of peek in, where you’re body’s saying it’s a little more astral projection-y in those cases.

Bromo_Sapien

So their physical self would also be in the cognitive realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Bromo_Sapien

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Which is weird.

Bromo_Sapien

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

But yes, um...

Bromo_Sapien

As opposed to somebody like Kelsier who died and no longer has a physical self.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, right. Or when Shallan is soulcasting and peeking in, and things like this. Like… Um… It can still be dangerous, because what’s happening is that little soul bubble there that’s manifesting into a version of your soul and then things can get at it in different ways and stuff. So... But yes, going in physically means you just pop between realms, and yeah, yeah…

Bromo_Sapien

And when they leave the cognitive realm their physical self just leaves the cognitive realm the same...

Brandon Sanderson

Yep, mhm, yep.

Bromo_Sapien

Perfect.

Brandon Sanderson

Basically you’re transferring into investiture and popping out of investiture, so...

So Shallan "glimpses" the Cognitive in the same way as Kaladin, soulcasting just makes her inherently better at it. At least that's my interpretation. 

So we agree, at least I don't see this as contradicting anything I said.

We see Jasnah create a floating raft, and why couldn't an astral projection of your mind fly if you knew it could.  This may be a bit like Kaladin's slave brands.  He stills sees them as a part of him so the stormlight doesn't heal them,  If part of you was the ability to fly then what in the CR would stop you.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Urithiru is a central location for spren
  • Chaos locked this topic