Shai pronunciation

Faceless Mist-Wraith

Question

10 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

I've always pronounced it like "bye", but sharper.  (I presumed that if it was supposed to be the other way, her name would have been spelled "Shei".  

That was my assumption too, since that's how Chinese and Japanese sounds are normally Romanized. But Brandon pronounces it like "Shei."

Nonsensical pronunciations... a timeless quirk of the fantasy genre! 

6 hours ago, ryshadium90 said:

I've always rhymed it with "bye"

On that note, how to pronounce Susebron?

Is the accent on the "u" or the "e"? I put it on the "u" then I reread Siri calling him Seb, so maybe the accent is on the "e"? It kind of sounds better that way. 

In the audiobook the narrator pronounces his name “Soozibron” with the accent on the u.

I’ve always read it Shai as “shy” in my mind, I tend to imagine if a name is spelled a different way in a book than it typically is in real life, it’s meant to be pronounced differently too (if it rhymed with “hay” I would imagine would be spelled “Shay” after the normal spelling). It seems silly not to use the familiar spelling if it’s meant to be pronounced the same way

I think most of the Aon's have long Vowel sounds Raoden is Ray-o-den. Even though I pronounced it R-ow-den for the longest time. So I think it would be Shay. Which sadly would probably mean Sarene's name would be pronounces Sa-ree-nee. As opposed to Sa-Ray-Nay, which I personally think sounds better.

Scratch all that...For some reason I thought there was an Aon hai.

Edited by theuntaintedchild

11 hours ago, theuntaintedchild said:

Which sadly would probably mean Sarene's name would be pronounces Sa-ree-nee. As opposed to Sa-Ray-Nay, which I personally think sounds better.

Yep, again with the audiobook, sa-ree-nee is exactly how they pronounce it

20 hours ago, theuntaintedchild said:

I think most of the Aon's have long Vowel sounds Raoden is Ray-o-den. Even though I pronounced it R-ow-den for the longest time. So I think it would be Shay. Which sadly would probably mean Sarene's name would be pronounces Sa-ree-nee. As opposed to Sa-Ray-Nay, which I personally think sounds better.

Scratch all that...For some reason I thought there was an Aon hai.

The long vowel thing is an Arelish convention - you take the name's base Aon (Rao for Raoden, Ene for Sarene, Kii for Kiin, etc.) and you pronounce them properly (with two long stressed vowels), while all other vowels usually remain closed. So RAY-OH-den, sar-EE-NEE.

Shai is not from Arelon (or Opelon, which is very similar culturally), so her name doesn't necessarily follow the same convention. 

28 minutes ago, Argent said:

The long vowel thing is an Arelish convention - you take the name's base Aon (Rao for Raoden, Ene for Sarene, Kii for Kiin, etc.) and you pronounce them properly (with two long stressed vowels), while all other vowels usually remain closed. So RAY-OH-den, sar-EE-NEE.

Shai is not from Arelon (or Opelon, which is very similar culturally), so her name doesn't necessarily follow the same convention. 

I thought Opelon was the Aonic name for Sycla.  

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, Argent said:

That's true. Hrathen is a good example of this. Same planet different culture.