Brandon's Writing Class - 2014

WeiryWriter

So I'm super excited about this, the first video of this years session of Brandon's writing class has been uploaded to youtube!  I wasn't sure if it was going to be recorded this year so this makes me very happy.  Woohoo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJP0amotbE&feature=youtu.be&a

Edit: And the second as well?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnI8ZPYBzA

Edited by WeiryWriter

Any idea which was the lecture he gave out a WoR? I'd love to see people's reactions.

And *ahem* learn about writing, of course. :)

I think it was last week's, which hasn't been uploaded yet.  Anyway, that one hasn't been uploaded yet I think.

You know I've been watching these for years, and a few times I tried following along with the writing but I always stopped because I didn't have a writing group, I think.  Out of curiosity, is there anything like that going on here at 17th shard?

Edit for clarity:  I know about the writing excuses section, I meant is there any group here (or anyone interested in forming one) that submits weekly updates of their work for each other to give feedback on like the way Brandon has people do it in his class?

Edited by Talenelat

I would definitely be interested in forming one as well.  I like the idea of a group being a small handful of people that will read each other's work and critique it.  I always appreciate my friends reading my work but when the only comments I get back are "It was really good." I get annoyed.  That really doesn't tell me anything ;)  I can't grow with "good"!

I would definitely be interested in forming one as well.  I like the idea of a group being a small handful of people that will read each other's work and critique it.  I always appreciate my friends reading my work but when the only comments I get back are "It was really good." I get annoyed.  That really doesn't tell me anything ;)  I can't grow with "good"!

Exactly! Writers make much better critiquers than readers. Unfortunately, the only writer that I know and see regularly is my Grandma, which makes it worse.

Certainly! I just need about a week to get my world organized before I start writing. What do you say we submit samples of previous work first? And how would we do this? Email works, I guess. Or Google Drive. If you have another suggestion, I'd welcome it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

There are some administrative issues going on that they are currently trying to get resolved.  Hopefully they will become available soon.

It looks like this finally got resolved:

Travis M. Smith

@BrandSanderson As a fan and internet student of yours, I'm dying to experience your 2014 lectures. Anyway I can watch or listen to them?

Peter Ahlstrom

@Catsen14 This has finally been resolved, but the videos won't be on YouTube. Instead they will go on BYU English department website soon.

(source)

When they do get posted I'll try to remember to post about it here.

• 1 month later...

When they do get posted I'll try to remember to post about it here.

Hey I remembered! They can now all be found on the BYUEnglish youtube channel.

Lecture 1

Lecture 2

Lecture 3

Lecture 4

Lecture 5

Lecture 6

Lecture 7

Lecture 8

Lecture 9

Lecture 10

Lecture 11

Lecture 12