Who was that guy on the Shattered Plains

the_archduke

In Words of Radiance during the march on Narak, Shallan and Dalinar were talking.  Shallan revealed to Dalinar what she was.  They were then interrupted by a messenger telling of a skirmish with Parshendi.  They go to investigate and that is when Shallan makes the discovery of the red eyes of the Stormforms.  The man who meets them by the parshendi corpse is called out as darkeyed and not a soldier (I can't find his name this second because I was listening to it on audio book during my commute).

The reason I ask the question, is the darkeyed man calls Dalinar by his first name and no one seems to think this is strange.  It struck me while listening that this was very strange.  Shouldn't a random darkeyed man call him Brightlord?  Dalinar doesn't think it is strange because he doesn't comment on it at all.

What's his name? There's a worldhopper called Felt that we see on the Shattered Plains who acts as a messenger. That might be him. I don't have a copy of WoR on me right now so this might not be him but I'm pretty sure his name is mentioned somewhere. 

Edit: Nope ignore this totally wrong guy

Edited by cloudjumper

He was a darkeyes, but clearly well respected, though he didn't bear an obvious military rank.

This is the same guy that was the huntmaster for the hunt that went wrong in WoK. Interesting that even with that disaster, he is still in roles of responsibility.

21 minutes ago, lyht said:

This is the same guy that was the huntmaster for the hunt that went wrong in WoK. Interesting that even with that disaster, he is still in roles of responsibility.

Not really. The hunt disaster was in no way his fault. 

• 1 month later...

Just reviving this post since it is the official Bashin thread.  It took me until my third reading of WoR to realize this guy was 100% a shoutout to Vanin from WoT.  Fat guy, scout, not dressed in a uniform like the entire rest of Dalinars forces including his own sons, doesn't look at all like a soldier, and addresses Dalinar by name instead of honorifics.

• Chaos locked this topic