Hello World (er, Cosmere)

Shadowmancer

My name is David, and I first got my start on Sanderson in 2009 when a dear friend introduced me to Mistborn and Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians. I love deep Cosmere theories, rigorous debates, long walks on the beach, Anime binge-watching, and writing far too many stories at a time (my current WIPs are at 5). I will ask and answer questions, and I love sharing excerpts of my works.

Thanks!

Hey, welcome to the Shard, @K David Murdock! Have an upvote and a free spiked delicious cookie!

Spoiler

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Which Cosmere book is your favorite? Which non-Cosmere book is your favorite?

Welcome! What genre do you write in? Is having 5 WIP at once a good thing or an inevitable-mistake-I-really-need-to-focus thing? We have a good community over in the Creator's Corner subforum where people share story snippets or worldbuilding ideas, etc. and a good writing group in the Reading Excuses subforum, if either of those interest you.

46 minutes ago, ccstat said:

Welcome! What genre do you write in? Is having 5 WIP at once a good thing or an inevitable-mistake-I-really-need-to-focus thing? We have a good community over in the Creator's Corner subforum where people share story snippets or worldbuilding ideas, etc. and a good writing group in the Reading Excuses subforum, if either of those interest you.

Is having more than 5 WIP and several plans for stories at once a bad thing too?

Well, not necessarily. As a very casual writer, I've found that I can only work on 2 things at once without them starting to sound the same or getting my plot/character wires crossed. Maybe other people have more brain space for that than I do.

3 minutes ago, ccstat said:

Well, not necessarily. As a very casual writer, I've found that I can only work on 2 things at once without them starting to sound the same or getting my plot/character wires crossed. Maybe other people have more brain space for that than I do.

Yeah, I guess. Most of my stories aren't anywhere near being written, but I've thought about them a whole lot and have everything planned out. I just don't know how to get it on the page. :P

1 hour ago, ccstat said:

Well, it's more of a I-get-distracted-easily-oohshinynewplot! kind of thing. I have made significant progress on two of them, but the others are just in the basic worldbuilding and plot-crafting phase.

My genre is fantasy base with everything else piled on top. Magic exists, then I throw in mystery, romance, epic journeys, politics, futuristic, urban, etc. My most advanced WIP is an epic fantasy (because I hate myself and chose the hardest thing to do first) and the other is a futuristic-dystopian-urban fantasy- noir- shapeshifter novel, and that's the one that's giving me the creativity to continue slogging my way through the other.

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Hey, welcome to the Shard, @K David Murdock! Have an upvote and a free spiked delicious cookie!

Reveal hidden contents

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Which Cosmere book is your favorite? Which non-Cosmere book is your favorite?

Haha, thanks for the cookie! I like all the Alcatraz books, but maybe my favorite book out of all authors (if that's what you meant) is East of Eden. Dang, that book makes me think so much every time I read it.

1 minute ago, K David Murdock said:

Haha, thanks for the cookie! I like all the Alcatraz books, but maybe my favorite book out of all authors (if that's what you meant) is East of Eden. Dang, that book makes me think so much every time I read it.

Oh, I meant just non-Cosmere Sanderson books, but that works too. :P