Intoduction

Jamppa4life

Hello
I am a 26 year old dude from Finland and I have been a frequent lurker for a couple of months and now finally I made an account.
Before a couple of years ago I could count on my fingers how many books iv'e read. Then one summer while working between my engineering studies I got so fed up with listening to the same hit singles over and over and over again on the radio of my ear protectors. I realized that knowing all the hit singles word to word was a useless superpower so I decided to give audiobooks a chance. I had never tried any audiobooks so I should start with something light, I started with A Song OF Ice And Fire... At work I would listen, then after work at home I would read (I bought the books that summer). I flew through the series and started "rereads" until I was starting to yearn for more stories to delve into.

I went over to the internet to find suggestions and I kept seeing the same series. Kingkiller chronicles, Farseer trilogy, Mistborn, Stormlight Archive etc.
I went through kingkiller, farseer and started Malazan (couldn't get into it) and I kept seeing Mistborn and Way of kings being recommended but I was hesitant (don't know why) to start Mistborn, maybe it was the young adult feel I got from the reviews and introductions to the series.
So one summer when working offshore I decided to give The Way of Kings a go as audiobook, and I was very intrigued by the prologue, after the first chapter I was in.
I made it maybe a third into the audiobook when summer was over and I returned to shore, then somehow I didn't continue the audiobook. I was in a slow part of the audiobook and I returned to school so I didn't have time to listen as much, Way of kings was dropped.

I graduated and began my work career and decided to finally give Mistborn a chance, I could always drop it after the first book.

I was blown away.

I flew through era 1 and continued to era 2 in record time, then I went back to era 1. I felt like I must read more from this author and started reading up on this Sanderson dude. I did not even realize that I already had experience with his work, that one book I dropped a year ago?
I decided to give Way Of Kings another chance and when the story hooked me in there was no letting go. Since then I have read all the published works from the Cosmere and there is no question about who is my favorite author.

I have visited on this forum many times and now being lured by Aether Of Night I have finally made myself an account. I am a classic lurker who reads a lot of theories and seldom have I written on any forums so excuse me if my rattles and formatting don't always make sense, I am learning.   

Pleased to meet you! Have a picture of my fantasy section in my shelf.

IMG_20170722_124158.jpg

Hey, welcome to the Shard, @Jamppa4life! Have a free spiked delicious cookie!

Spoiler

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Which Cosmere book has been your favorite so far?

Heya, welcome! Have an upvote!

You've included answers to most of the questions we usually use as icebreakers, so good job there!

I've also recently finished Arcanum Unbounded, and subsequently finished the published Cosmere. Since then, I've filled the void by reading Branderson's unpublished works (Prose White Sand, Mythwalker, scrapped parts of published books) and just picked up Aether of Night. Other than that, I'm here, biding my time until Oathvember.

Well, It'll be good to see a new face around here. And, as always, I feel like I should dispense some valuable advice; Do not, under any circumstances, eat the cookies.

18 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Hey, welcome to the Shard, @Jamppa4life! Have a free spiked delicious cookie!

Reveal hidden contents

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Which Cosmere book has been your favorite so far?

Thank you but I am trying to keep an eye on my form so I will have to decline the cookie.

As for my favorite Cosmere book so far, I am torn between Hero of Ages and Words of Radiance so I will give an cop-out answer and say Arcanum unbounded. I bought it solely for Edgedancer and Secret History but I ended up enjoying all the stories in the book immensely. Emperors soul, Shadows for Silence, Sixth of the Dusk etc, all of them were excellent. Even Allomancer Jack was a good read even though the short stories in era 2 about Allomancer Jack were probably my least favorite parts.

I have have read these sorts of books (collections of short stories) but I haven't read any of them like I did Arcanum unbounded, I just usually give a story or two a chance and the rest I don't bother with.