Possible Shard Fortune

ElephantEarwax

I was reading SH and when Kel was listening through the window, one elder said, someone was worrying about fortune being stolen. I have seen ideas where fortune being feruchemical, but I believe they drank it. Could it be that there is a shard Fortune somewhere and it was shattered and captured, or they have a piece of the shardpool from Fortune. That seems plausible, and that explains how they could live so long+stay in the cognitive realm(if they are dead?).

Edited by ElephantEarwax
Grammar

The Feruchemical Spiritual properties are not unique to Feruchemy: things like Investiture, Connection, and Identity are properties that play into all cosmere magics. Fortune is a similar property; you can do stuff with it through Feruchemy, but it's also something you can work with in other magic systems (I believe "drawing upon Fortune" was the phrase used in SH). (For what it's worth, I think Connection was what they were drinking, to maintain their power as Elantrians when they were far from their homeworld. But that's neither here nor there.)

2 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

I was reading SH and when Kel was listening through the window, one elder said, someone was worrying about fortune being stolen. I have seen ideas where fortune being feruchemical, but I believe they drank it. Could it be that there is a shard Fortune somewhere and it was shattered and captured, or they have a piece of the shardpool from Fortune. That seems plausible, and that explains how they could live so long+stay in the cognitive realm(if they are dead?).

Fortune is a Realmatic concept that is used in Chromium Feruchemy.  Other examples of "drawing upon Fortune," as Elrao stated to Alonoe, are sadly unpublished as yet.  The Ire's tipple of choice is simply liquid Investiture (note its similarity to the mysterious liquid that Hoid applied to his oar/"boat").  More information on those who "died, but did not" as Preservation so obtusely described them can be found in Elantris.  

2 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

Fortune is a Realmatic concept that is used in Chromium Feruchemy.  Other examples of "drawing upon Fortune," as Elrao stated to Alonoe, are sadly unpublished as yet.  The Ire's tipple of choice is simply liquid Investiture (note its similarity to the mysterious liquid that Hoid applied to his oar/"boat").  More information on those who "died, but did not" as Preservation so obtusely described them can be found in Elantris.  

Thanks, I missed that, I'll have to reread Elantris. I haven't reread it since I started looking into the deeper cosmere and I missed a lot. 

• Chaos locked this topic