"what's going on with Roshar"

Calderis

There's a WoB that I remember raising questions, about Szeth hearing the screams of those he's killed, because Brandon answered that it was something to do with "what is going on on Roshar" 

I've been rummaging through WoBs most of the day, and I just ran into this

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1052#68

QUESTION

Szeth a lot of the time throughout Words of Radiance is referring to the fact that he's hearing his victims scream in his head. Is that actually his conscience screaming at him or has he possibly already bonded to a spren in some way, that is displeased with-

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is not the spren. Good question. It is not...the spren is not a spren that is a...for one of the orders.

QUESTION

But it is related to--

BRANDON SANDERSON

I didn't say that. I just said it is not a--it is not a blade. It is not one of those.

TAGS

szeth ,  guilt

Is the answer about what is going on, as simple as the actions of the Unmade? That WoB makes me think that the fragile mental state Szeth was in at the time left him open to the influence of an Unmade and that that's what caused the screams. 

Anyone else have an explanation I'm not seeing? 

Firstly, I should say that WoB makes very little sense to me :( its strangely worded. But I think what he's saying is that Szeth's screams are not from a 'dead' Shardblade, that he has an Honorblade therefore the screams are unrelated to the sword. Saying the spren was not for one of the orders seems to be saying Szeth's sword is not a Nahel spren trapped in sword form. 

Secondly, I think Szeth's screams are from damage to his spirit web and the way his cognitive self is interpreting that damage. It sounds like if it were Unmade it would be 'magical' but this is more realmatic cause and effect. 

BLIGHTSONG

Is anything magical going on with the screams Szeth hears?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uhhh, Szeth's screams. Uhhm, I'm trying to decide how to answer this. It is not, see here's the thing. What we would call magical may not be considered magical in the Cosmere, but it depends on your definition of magic. Would Szeth if he were on our planet and have done those things would he hear those screams, probably not, but would someone else in the Cosmere who had gone through what he had gone through hear those screams, yes.

BLIGHTSONG

So it has to do with the spiritual realm?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yea, mhmm, yea.

Thirdly, I'll post this because I think nan balat instead may be the victim of what you're proposing. 

Q: There's a scene where you can see from the perspective of Nan Balat, Shallan's brother, where he's maiming an insect. It's described as soothing his aches. Is that in any way related to how Kaladin feels depressed and down during the Weeping even in his early childhood?
A: What's happening to Nan Balat is magically enhanced. What's happening to Kaladin is mostly just chemical depression. Be he is really too young to be diagnosed with depression during some of these events, but he's got the seeds in there. So Kaladin is not magically depressed. Kaladin is just legitimatly a person with depression. Nan Balat... What's up with him is... ah... being exaggerated by certain forces moving in on Roshar. (last bit is a bit indistinctive)

I think nan balat is either feeling an Unmade (a force "moving in on Roshar) or something greater, like Odium breaking down whatever barriers keep him trapped. 

4 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Firstly, I should say that WoB makes very little sense to me :( its strangely worded. But I think what he's saying is that Szeth's screams are not from a 'dead' Shardblade, that he has an Honorblade therefore the screams are unrelated to the sword. Saying the spren was not for one of the orders seems to be saying Szeth's sword is not a Nahel spren trapped in sword form. 

I agree it's oddly worded. It seems like he was trying to avoid saying something without giving a RAFO. My thoughts on what he'd said were that they were coming from something, but it's not from a spren as we'd normally think of them, which is why my brain jumped to an Unmade. 

That first WoB of yours kills that thought though because of the words "someone else in the Cosmere." 

So as usual, thanks. I definitely hadn't seen that WoB before. 

12 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

There's an Unmade, I can't remember which, but he's described as the Winds of Death, or Screams of Death or some such. Pretty sure it's in the Diagram. I'm to tired, so ill edit this after work with better identification.

Well, there is this epigraph:

Yelig-nar, called Blightwind, was one that could speak like a man, though often his voice was accompanied by the wails of those he consumed.

I've felt before that there was a connection between this and Szeth hearing the screams of his victims. 

Edit: it's from Jasnah's notes in WoK. 

Edited by Scriptorian

• Chaos locked this topic