Adonalsium questions

King Cole

Question

7 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, King Cole said:

I have some questions about adonalsium that I need for a theory im working on.

1. Did he create humans

2. Did he stand for good/evil

3. Did he use his power often

4. Did a "mind" possess him? 

1.  In several places, yes.  (See: Sixth of the Dusk for one example of non-Shardic humans)

2.  Don't know.

3.  Probably.  

4.  Don't know, although I have a question in mind for GenCon that might shed some light.  

18 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

"The 17th Shard has taken to calling Adonalsium "Uncle Andy."  How accurate a moniker is this?" 

As far as I knew, that exists entirely because some people don't want to type out/can't remember how to spell Adonalsium. 

What makes you think there's more to it? Not trying to criticize, just curious. 

Just now, Calderis said:

As far as I knew, that exists entirely because some people don't want to type out/can't remember how to spell Adonalsium. 

What makes you think there's more to it? Not trying to criticize, just curious. 

Nothing, just fishing for things.  Adonalsium's benevolence and anthropomorphism in particular. 

I would say that we know that the answer to #1 is "yes," but the other three are definitely "don't know." I strongly suspect that, yes, Adonalsium had something like a Vessel, and the reason for the Shattering was that (s)he/it died, and things were going crazy.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:29 AM, King Cole said:

I have some questions about Adonalsium that I need for a theory I'm working on.

1. Did he create humans

2. Did he stand for good/evil

3. Did he use his power often

4. Did a "mind" possess him? 

1. Most likely. We know that Humans existed before the Shattering, so it's not much of a stretch to assume Adonalsium created them.(He built Roshar and the Parshendi after all)
  2. Almost certainly not. Brandon has gone to great lengths to point out that the Shards themselves are neither good or evil, so it stands to reason that the same applies to their original form. His intent was "to create sapience," and that isn't inherently good or evil.
  3. Debatable. He created the whole of Roshar, he likely created life on several other worlds, some tings on Yolen, etc.. He used his power a fair number of times, but without a timescale, we can't say he used his power "often"
  4. Technically, yes. Poor wording on your part, as a vessel and sentient Investiture both have a "mind." To answer what you actually meant:
    Subject of debate. I personally think that Adonalsium was a massive chunk of Investiture that gained sentience of its own. Others think there was a vessel involved, there's a third theory floating around somewhere, but I can't remember it at the moment.