Finally posting!

TheProphet19

Hello all! My name is Spencer, and I am a rabid fan of Mr. Sanderson, and near equally as rabid a fan of this site.

I have never posted or really even signed up for a forum before (I'm a bit of a luddite by principle) but after reading nearly every theory, discussion, joke, etc. on this site I decided to leave my days of lurking behind and actually try to contribute here.

I get a little bit attached to things I like, so after reading all of Sanderson's books I started reading here instead. With the exception of new threads and very old ones, I've seen just about everything here. I honestly feel like I know some of the more prominent members (read: people who post a LOT). I think this is one of the best communities I have encountered, and could not resist becoming a part of it!

I'm unfamiliar with all your fancy post-edits and spolier tags and such, so I may refrain from posting much before I figure all that out...is there a thread explaining it all that I have somehow missed?

Favorite BS book: Warbreaker

Favorite BS Male Character: Kelsier

Favorite BS Female Character: Silence

Side notes:

I have high-functioning autism, and work with people with autism. After hearing several people have theorized that David (Steelheart) and Joel (Rithmatist) have autism, I would like to have a serious-but-friendly discussion on the matter, as it would be interesting to make a determination one way or the other under the DSM-V. Also might want to discuss the young boy from Elantris that Brandon has stated as having autism, especially as he is said to be the main character for Elantris 2. Where should I place such a thread, as it is far from a Cosmere theory, but may contain spoilers? Seperate threads in seperate book sections?

Thanks to any and all that read this post, and especially those who can answer my questions.

Finally, someone else who appreciates Warbreaker! Everyone around here seems to cite Mistborn or Way of Kings as their favourite. It's good to not be alone.

I have to say that I'm unfamiliar with autism, so I wouldn't be any good in a discussion on the subject, but maybe try posting it in the General Brandon Discussion forum, titling it as a discussion of autism in his works? I believe there was a thread discussing the influence of the LDS on his writing in there as well, so as long as you say, from the beginning, that you want to talk about all of his writing and there will be spoilers, I don't see much of a problem.

Hi Spencer.  Welcome to 17S.  Like you, this is the only online presence I have.  But, it is a great community and we are glad to count you among us.  

For your edification, here is a quick primer on how the business works here.  If you wish to put something in spoiler tags, simply enter the following code without the * :

[spoiler*] Spoilier text you wish to be in the tag

You'll also notice that at the bottom right of each post is a multiquote and a quote button.  Personally, I have no idea what the virtues or functions of multiquote are.  But, if you wish to reference text from someone's post within the thread you are posting in, press the quote button and the text of their post (less any quotes they had in their post) will appear in the 'Reply to this topic' text entry box.  You then can edit out bits that distract from the portion you wish to reference if you desire.  

If you wish to quote text that is external to the thread, you'll notice that in the text entry toolbar there is a button which resembles a speech bubble from a comic strip.  Click that and you get a generic quote box which you may fill with any test you like.

To create a link in your post, you'll notice a button in the text entry toolbar which resembles a chain with a green circle.  Highlight the text which you wish to turn into a link (e.g., source, go here, etc.), push the chain-like button, and then paste the URL for the link in the prompt that pops up.

You may also find smiley faces and such useful to give clarity to your comments (particularly to let people know if you are joking or whatever).  To access a selection of these smiley faces (or emoticons), click the happy face button in the text entry toolbar. 

Lastly, I will note the reputation system.  You'll notice that below each persons profile picture there is a green or grey (hopefully not red) box with a number and a title.  This is a fun little system that allows the community to give you brownie points for posts that you make that they think are poignant, clever, funny, or whatever.  To give said brownie points, I again direct your attention to the bottom right corner of member posts.  You will see an up-arrow in a green box and a down-arrow in a red box.  If you like a post for whatever reason simply press the green up-arrow button.  It is up to you to decide under what conditions you will press the red downvote button.  For me personally though, I only do this if someone's posting is offensive or insulting in some way. 

Some general etiquette, if you just posted and wish to say something more before someone else has happened to post, it is customer to click on the edit button in the post you just made and add the information you wanted to say.  If it has been a day or so since your previous post, a double post (a new post directly adjacent to a previous post) is perfectly acceptable.

I hope this is helpful.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Personally, I have no idea what the virtues or functions of multiquote are. 

When you click multi-quote, it should create a little box at the bottom right of your screen. Keep pressing multiquote on multiple posts and it will add them to that box. Once you've selected all the posts you want to respond to, click the reply to all button and it will create a reply box that has quotes from all those different posts. Makes it easy to respond to multiple people without having to make multiple posts.

When you click multi-quote, it should create a little box at the bottom right of your screen. Keep pressing multiquote on multiple posts and it will add them to that box. Once you've selected all the posts you want to respond to, click the reply to all button and it will create a reply box that has quotes from all those different posts. Makes it easy to respond to multiple people without having to make multiple posts.

I always just clicked the quote button in each post that I wanted to reference and formatted accordingly.  

I applaud you, sir! I actually got into BS with Warbreaker; my cousin was reading it on a trip to the beach, and he let me read the prologue. It was the best written thing I had ever read. I didn't get to read it then, but managed to preorder the paperback and get Elantris with a sad heart at the time that I didn't get to read the book I wanted to, but as I read "Sanderson's debut novel", I was hooked just like Warbreaker. Warbreaker was next, and the color he painted the world with was so beautiful that I nearly pulled an all-nighter every day for about a month.

Finally, someone else who appreciates Warbreaker! Everyone around here seems to cite Mistborn or Way of Kings as their favourite. It's good to not be alone.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite BS novel, but it's definitely up there; sorry to disappoint. :-)

• Chaos locked this topic