Hey! Also: aluminum bullets?

TeleWorms

I've finally emerged from the depths of what I like to call 'The Sanderson Sinkhole'! Having binge-read Elantris, the first Mistborn trilogy and the Stormlight Archives over the past few months, I think that I should be able to get by on the forums with relatively little exposure to spoilers while still answering some of my questions.

Speaking of which, I just finished The Alloy of Law and now have something to ask: How practical do you think would aluminum bullets be? If they were possible, would they be pure aluminum or some sort of alloy? 

I haven't looked any of this up yet, but rather just wanted to know your thoughts on the matter.

With that over, I'm off to start on Warbreaker (and to get over my fear of how large the Cosmere is turning out to be).

Welcome to the Shard! It's always nice to see a new face, have an upvote.

As for aluminum bullets, I'm not sure. I don't think duralumin can't be Pushed/Pulled, so I don't think aluminum alloys would have the same Investiture resistance as pure aluminum. As for its availability and practicality, I have no idea. Seems to be really expensive.

Also, which book has been your favorite so far? Personally, I've loved all of them so far (except maybe Elantris, though it wasn't too bad), but if I had to choose a favorite, it'd be either Warbreaker or WoR.

Edit: Almost forgot, have a cookie! It's totally not spiked!

Spoiler

cookie.jpg

Edited by StrikerEZ

Thanks for the welcome! Honestly, I'd have to say that WoK has been my favorite book so far, followed closely by WoR. Way of Kings was my first cosmere book, as well as my first try at reading epic fantasy. I haven't read Warbreaker yet, though I intend to do so soon. 

As an addition to the question about aluminum bullets, how much does real-world science affect them? I've always been a sucker for testing earth science to books, and Mistborn wasn't subject to exception. I looked into it briefly and found that the general consensus is that aluminum isn't really a bullet-worthy metal on Earth because, depending on the grade and alloy of the aluminum, the metal will sort of just, melt into the barrel of some guns What does this mean for the aluminum (or guns, for that matter) in Mistborn? Is it different from the kind we have on earth, or is it not affected in the same way that ours is? Have I been pursuing a pointless question by trying to apply real-world science concepts to a fantasy book? Maybe.

And I'm just gonna... tuck that "cookie" away. 

7 hours ago, TeleWorms said:

Thanks for the welcome! Honestly, I'd have to say that WoK has been my favorite book so far, followed closely by WoR. Way of Kings was my first cosmere book, as well as my first try at reading epic fantasy. I haven't read Warbreaker yet, though I intend to do so soon. 

As an addition to the question about aluminum bullets, how much does real-world science affect them? I've always been a sucker for testing earth science to books, and Mistborn wasn't subject to exception. I looked into it briefly and found that the general consensus is that aluminum isn't really a bullet-worthy metal on Earth because, depending on the grade and alloy of the aluminum, the metal will sort of just, melt into the barrel of some guns What does this mean for the aluminum (or guns, for that matter) in Mistborn? Is it different from the kind we have on earth, or is it not affected in the same way that ours is? Have I been pursuing a pointless question by trying to apply real-world science concepts to a fantasy book? Maybe.

And I'm just gonna... tuck that "cookie" away. 

Hmm...I didn't know that about real aluminum bullets. I'd assume it's like Agent34 said, but then I think if any of the bullet wasn't aluminum, you could still Push/Pull it. Of course, if just an outer layer of aluminum is enough to block Investiture, then I think the outer layer of the bullet could just be aluminum, while the bullet itself is some other metal. Honestly, this is a pretty good question, probably one better suited for the theorists over in the theory section or in the Q&A section.

The aluminum used in the Vanisher's guns was indeed an alloy, and was still Allomantically inert, so you can have a bullet containing enough aluminum to inert that will be stronger than pure aluminum. It looks like you can actually use pure aluminum bullets, but they don't fly well because they're so light and deform so easily. And they'll also have less stopping power, just because of their weight. But, when your alternative is not hitting an Allomancer at all... well, I'll go with aluminum.