3rd Bondsmith (SA Spoilers)

Steelheart

Question

6 answers to this question

It's not the third Bondsmith, it's the third Bondsmith spren. In Words of Radiance, the number of Bondsmith spren was said to be "specific." In the Stormlight Archive Pocket Companion, it was confirmed that this meant there were only three spren that a Bondsmith could bond with, so there could only be three Bondsmiths at a time.

Right now, there is only one Bondsmith we know of, Dalinar, who has the Stormfather. Nightwatcher is a similar spren to the Stormfather, but for Cultivation (and also appears to rule the Cultivationspren the same way the Stormfather rule the Honorspren), so many of us believe she could also pair with a Bondsmith. For the third spren, we've got very few concrete ideas. It could be a powerful Odiumspren (but he doesn't have a single powerful spren like Honor and Cultivation; the Unmade, as a collective, fill that role). It could be something like Cusicesh, the large spren we saw in Axies' interlude in WoK; although we know it is not as powerful a spren as Stormfather and Nightwatcher. It could be a thus-far-unseen spren of Adonalsium, or maybe a 50/50 Honor/Cultivation mixture.

That doesn't mean anyone has currently bonded it. Just that there is one more spren out there that could be bonded to create a Bondsmith.

My general understanding of it is that one of the Bondsmiths makes a bond with the Stormfather, which in this case is Dalinar. It is highly presumed that the 2nd Bondsmith bonds with a spren of Cultivation, although at this point the book hasn't mentioned who that Bondsmith is. So the question about the 3rd Bondsmith is mainly asking "which spren does the last Bondsmith bond with if the first two bond with Honor and Cultivation?" 

I also know that Gavilar was on the path to becoming a Bondsmith as well. Interesting to think about which spren he would have bonded with. 

5 hours ago, Andy92 said:

I also know that Gavilar was on the path to becoming a Bondsmith as well. Interesting to think about which spren he would have bonded with. 

Gavilar was receiving the highest or Visions. I'm pretty sure he would have bonded the Stormfather. 

Dalinar changed his life and only became suitable as a Bondsmith after the guilt over Gavilar's death. 

Id love for a certain dowager queen to bond the Nightwatcher. 

As for the third bondable spren, I think it is likely an old spren that predates the arrival of humans on the planet. There were things around before the refugees showed up on Roshar. 

56 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

I thought the idea of the Nightwatcher been a spren to Cultivation in the way that the Stormfather was to Honor was a theory, a very strong theory but still not confirmed. Did I miss the confirmation?

Here you go.

the_archduke

What is the relationship between Nightwatcher and Cultivation?

Brandon Sanderson

I expected a hard RAFO, but he said Nightwatcher compared to Cultivation is similar to Stormfather compared to Honor.

Edited by Pagerunner