What is Yolish Light Weaving?

King Cole

Question

20 answers to this question

You can learn a little about Yolish Lightweaving if you read sample chapters of the unpublished book Liar of Partinel, one of the prequels to the planned Dragonsteel series. (The structure of Dragonsteel is a bit unusual itself; Brandon was going to write a duology, starting with LoP, and then jump ahead to a five-book main series several hundred years later. Large chunks of Dragonsteel were incorporated into Way of Kings and the Stormlight Archives, so the Dragonsteel series will be much shorter when it actually gets written.) Brandon worked on LoP in 2007 after writing Warbreaker; he completed a draft, but he didn't like how it had turned out, so he scrapped it. It would be the earliest cosmere book, taking place before the Shattering of Adonalsium. His work on the Wheel of Time interrupted his plans, and he wound up writing Stormlight instead of fixing up Dragonsteel.

The chapters aren't canon, although some elements of it have been referenced elsewhere (light Lightweaving, obviously, and the fain life was mentioned in AU). Notably, Brandon tried to repurpose Aethers, a magic system from one of his other unpublished books, although he didn't like how they fit. So, large chunks of this will be non-canon. But you can indeed see some Lightweaving at work.

Lightweaving most likely appears in Dragonsteel, as well; Brandon had written that book (the first of 5 mentioned above) as his master's thesis back in 2000, but it wasn't good enough to publish. A few lucky people have been able to read it, but Brandon discourages them from discussing it for a number of reasons: major spoilers for the cosmere as a whole, elements that will change when he eventually rewrites it, and also he feels it is just badly written. But the Shattered Plain sequence originally appeared there, until Brandon repurposed it for Stormlight. But all that goes to say, Lightweaving on Yolen has been a part of Brandon's master plan for a long time, so I don't expect that it will look too different from what is in the LoP sample chapters.

It originates from Yolen, the planet the Vessels, Hoid and Frost are from. Hoid is Yolish Lightweaver. Khriss in WoR's Ars Arcanum says that Rosharan Lightweaving is similar to the original Yolish version.

That's about what we know.

1 minute ago, King Cole said:

I've seen Yolish Lighweaving mentioned many times but I have no idea what it is from, did I just miss it?

It's from then Non-Canon Liar of Partinel. Unless you've actively looked for that, you haven't missed anything. 

5 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

It originates from Yolen, the planet the Vessels, Hoid and Frost are from. Hoid is Yolish Lightweaver. Khriss in WoR's Ars Arcanum says that Rosharan Lightweaving is similar to the original Yolish version.

That's about what we know.

Ah, I totally forgot we have a Canon reference to that. Sorry for causing confusion. 

Yeah, we know it's something Hoid can do that predates the Shattering and according to Khriss, Lightweaving on Roshar is similar to the original Yolish version. We have some examples where we assume he's using it (most obviously to explain why he doesn't always look the same between books) but the exact mechanics of it aren't yet defined. Brandon has mentioned on occasion that many of his magic systems have certain underlying mechanics in common, even if the actual practice differs. For example, he's mentioned that Hoid's 'know where he needs to be' ability uses the same underlying mechanism as Feruchemical Chromium but it may not actually be Feruchemcy that he's using. Yolish Lightweaving vs Rosharan Lightweaving would be another manifestation of that.

6 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Whats the liar of Partinel?

Brandon's attempt at writing Hoid's origin story, samples of which can be found on his website. He wasn't satisfied with it, discourages fans from reading the samples and has warned us not to take anything in it as canon, though parts of it have been confirmed via WoB or other sources as 'at least somewhat accurate for purposes of theorizing'. He plans to rewrite it as one of the final works in the cosmere along with Dragonsteel.

54 minutes ago, TheCremling said:

Who's Frost?

He's the person that Hoid exchanges letters with in the epigraphs of the first two Stormlight Archive books and seems to have a non-intervention policy and some relationship with the (in-universe) Seventeenth Shard. And he's a dragon.

Whenever Brandon does signings, people are able to ask him questions while he's signing their books. (Or standing outside in the cold because the library closed down and kicked them out, but that was just one time.) That, and pieces of information trickle out from his alpha readers, who have been with him since beginning and have read Dragonsteel and Way of Kings Prime. For Frost, in particular, someone who had read Dragonsteel recognized that the Letter was written to a dragon ("you old reptile" being a literal description, not a generic insult), and connected that with Frost, a character from Dragonsteel. They asked Brandon at a signing, and got confirmation, and that's how that information got out into the public.

The Coppermind draws from these sources; there are quite a bit of cool tidbits that you don't get in the books. You can also go to the Theoryland Interview Database, which documents most of what Brandon has said over the years. The site was originally founded for the Wheel of Time, and when Brandon took over that series, they incorporated his signings into their database as well. I'd actually recommend looking event-by-event, starting with the Way of Kings tour in 2010 and going forward from there, skimming past Wheel of Time answers to get to the cosmere stuff. (I would be remiss if I didn't mention my collected Reddit quotes. Theoryland's big blind spot is Brandon's social media, so there is some pretty important stuff in there, as well, that you won't be able to find in Theoryland.)

There is quite a lot of 'hidden' info floating around out there. The best way to get up to speed is just to be patient; rummage through Theoryland, look through old signing threads in the Events and Signings forum, read through topics and see what kinds of quotes people are linking to. It will take a while to absorb it all, and even those of us who have spent way too much time on it still find new stuff on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Whenever Brandon does signings, people are able to ask him questions while he's signing their books. (Or standing outside in the cold because the library closed down and kicked them out, but that was just one time.) That, and pieces of information trickle out from his alpha readers, who have been with him since beginning and have read Dragonsteel and Way of Kings Prime. For Frost, in particular, someone who had read Dragonsteel recognized that the Letter was written to a dragon ("you old reptile" being a literal description, not a generic insult), and connected that with Frost, a character from Dragonsteel. They asked Brandon at a signing, and got confirmation, and that's how that information got out into the public.

Wait, people have read DragonSteel?

14 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Wait, people have read DragonSteel?

There are people who have read DragonSteel. Sample chapters of Dragon Steel are sent in out sometimes by Bran San for some newsletters or some such. More over, Dragon Steel used to be available for public reading from BYU library. (No longer available now AFAIK). So yeah, some people have read either whole or a few parts of Dragon Steel.

9 minutes ago, Reborn radiant said:

There are people who have read DragonSteel. Sample chapters of Dragon Steel are sent in out sometimes by Bran San for some newsletters or some such. More over, Dragon Steel used to be available for public reading from BYU library. (No longer available now AFAIK). So yeah, some people have read either whole or a few parts of Dragon Steel.

Its not available anymore is it

Just now, King Cole said:

Its not available anymore is it

As far as I know. I read somewhere on FB recently that Brandon copy righted it and is not releasing it anymore. I don't know the validity of the source, but it makes sense. He does release a few chapters to some people ( who have applied for something, I think? I don't know about this a lot) still though.

I don't recall any Dragonsteel sample chapters being sent out, and Brandon has been very tight-lipped about the book recently. (He'll usually send something more recent, like a short story or an Oathbringer excerpt, in a newsletter. But he has gone back and sent out White Sand excerpts.) Like all Masters Theses, there was a copy in the library at BYU, where Brandon got his degree. It was the only thesis that had to get rebound, so many people were borrowing it! I think there still is an active copy floating around, but you pretty much need to be at BYU to get a hold of it, and stalk the bookshelf it lives on.

24 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I don't recall any Dragonsteel sample chapters being sent out, and Brandon has been very tight-lipped about the book recently. (He'll usually send something more recent, like a short story or an Oathbringer excerpt, in a newsletter. But he has gone back and sent out White Sand excerpts.) Like all Masters Theses, there was a copy in the library at BYU, where Brandon got his degree. It was the only thesis that had to get rebound, so many people were borrowing it! I think there still is an active copy floating around, but you pretty much need to be at BYU to get a hold of it, and stalk the bookshelf it lives on.

Is it possible to find any of his unpublished works online?

17 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Is it possible to find any of his unpublished works online?

If you contact him on his website, you can get Aether of Night and the original White Sand draft (which covers what all three of the graphic novels will cover). Brandon asks those he sends it to to not share it with others, so you cannot find anything online.

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

If you contact him on his website, you can get Aether of Night and the original White Sand draft (which covers what all three of the graphic novels will cover). Brandon asks those he sends it to to not share it with others, so you cannot find anything online.

I subscribed to his newsletter and got a White Sands draft, is this that one? Also, how would I go about contacting him?