Adonalsium 3.0 and the theme of Resurrection

ZenBossanova

Of course, Brandon is a Mormon, and in Mormon thought, the 3 most important things are the Creation, the Fall, and the Atonement/Resurrection. 

Adonalsium is the powers of Creation. Let's refer to this as Adonalsium 1.0.

There seems to be some suggestion that the shards of Adonalsium were more powerful after the Shattering. Perhaps that is just the result of more Investiture being available, because of his death. Let's compare this to the Fall and refer to this as Adonalsium 2.0. 

We know that cracks and damage to people's souls are ways that the magic can take hold. Perhaps this is also true of Adonalsium. 

Brandon has said that one of the themes of the Cosmere is Resurrection. (This seems like an appropriate Easter post!) 

If Adonalsium is resurrected, let's refer to this as Adonalsium 3.0. I propose that it will be more powerful than any of the either pre- or post- Shattering magics that we have seen. 

2 hours ago, Dragon314 said:

Wow. I like that. Do we have a specific WoB on being more powerful?

Mostly, it is just reading between the lines, but there are some WoB

Spoiler

Interview: Apr 15th, 2013

Reddit AMA 2013 (Verbatim)

Phantine ()

Are there any magic systems in the cosmere that aren't shard based?

Brandon Sanderson

This depends on definitions. The effects of Adonalsium permeate everything, and Adonalsium is also the source of the Shards. It is possible to find a magic that isn't DIRECTLY powered by a specific shard, however, though most of these would have been set up before the shattering and would be much smaller in scope than things like Allomancy and Surgebinding.

Spoiler

INTERVIEW: Feb 20th, 2015

QUESTION

What can you tell us about what magic was like in the cosmere before Adonalsium was Shattered? Was it very different or…

BRANDON SANDERSON

Magic was... It was-- I mean-- It was similar, different in some fundamental ways but the things that were done you’ll be able to see other-- You’ll be able to see the pieces.

Emphasis mine

I know this might seem like getting religious, but as a Mormon myself, I can say that the main thing we focus on is Christ. Plenty of the other things are definitely up there, like the Atonement, the Fall, the Creation, etc, but the original focus is Jesus Christ. Not trying to step on any toes or get all opinionated, but I just wanted to clarify slightly, as it's something that's important to me.

I do agree that Adonalsium seems to have the powers of creation, since it's kinda a WoB in Arcanum Unbounded that Adonalsium made the original humans, although it's also possible that it could just be the world of Dragonsteel, which weren't created, and the shards knew them from that. It also helps that it has been confirmed that Adonalsium was taken from the Hebrew word Adonai, meaning God.

Breaking in some way is definitely a part of the books, but I don't know if it's as much a overarching theme as it is just really good writing. We do kinda have a break the cutie in Warbreaker, and the breaking thing in SA is very apparent, so I do agree with you on that.

And I do think there is a plan out currently for the resurrection of Adonalsium, although I can't remember where I've heard it. So I agree with all your points, just not sure if the original premise is exactly correct.

6 hours ago, Yata said:

The simple fact they hold 1/16 of Adonalsium's power make them for definition weaker. Don't mix "Investiture avaliable to mortal" with the "Investiture avaliable to the source"

There is a lot of room for splitting hair here, especially as we know so little about things before the Shattering. But there is that WoB 

Spoiler

Phantine ()

Brandon Sanderson

This depends on definitions. The effects of Adonalsium permeate everything, and Adonalsium is also the source of the Shards. It is possible to find a magic that isn't DIRECTLY powered by a specific shard, however, though most of these would have been set up before the shattering and would be much smaller in scope than things like Allomancy and Surgebinding.

1 hour ago, Bridge Boy said:

I know this might seem like getting religious, but as a Mormon myself, I can say that the main thing we focus on is Christ. Plenty of the other things are definitely up there, like the Atonement, the Fall, the Creation, etc, but the original focus is Jesus Christ.

I appreciate that clarification. I was referring the the three most important events. I can DM you some references if you like. 

2 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

There is a lot of room for splitting hair here, especially as we know so little about things before the Shattering. But there is that WoB 

Hide contents

Phantine ()

Brandon Sanderson

This depends on definitions. The effects of Adonalsium permeate everything, and Adonalsium is also the source of the Shards. It is possible to find a magic that isn't DIRECTLY powered by a specific shard, however, though most of these would have been set up before the shattering and would be much smaller in scope than things like Allomancy and Surgebinding.

You should reread the WoB that you keep posting. Consider that Adonalsium's power permeates everything, while a Shard specifically permeates a single world. As Yata said: "Investiture available to Mortal" is not the same as "Total Investiture." Additionally, Brandon states that current systems are "DIRECTLY" powered by Shards, which implies that other systems are not directly powered by Adonalsium. Were they "directly powered by Adonalsium" then they should have ceased functioning. Since they didn't, their source of Investiture still exists, whereas the only source of Adonalsium's Investiture that still exists after the Shattering would've been somewhat separate from him to begin with, else it would have become part of a Shard.

Yeah if you consider the Adonalsium influence as Cosmere wide you may notice how also with 16 times the power of a Shard (or a bit more than that to be honest) the average level of power is less than the actual Major Shardworld (who are less than 16).

Notice this could be caused not mainly from an absence of Investiture (I think a Shard alone could provide almost unlimited Investiture to the whole Cosmere) but mainly for a Connection issue or other Realmatical Reasons

3 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

I appreciate that clarification. I was referring the the three most important events. I can DM you some references if you like.

Okay, sorry to get a tad defensive then.

On the note of similarities though, an additional event would be the war in heaven, which there might also be evidence for a parallel in the books or books-to-be. Adonalsium got shattered somehow after all.

Edit: Just remembered where I'd heard something about Adonalsium being resurrected. It was a theory that Hoid was trying to collect different pieces of investiture to revive Adonalsium, or become the new one. Not a whole lot of evidence for it, but it does give a reason why he's collecting so many bits of power.

Edited by Bridge Boy

Also as a mormon, I don't think you should read much into it. He is taking ideas from all kinds of sources from Carl Jung to Korean art. He deliberately structures the writing to avoid looking to support one religion or another for a variety of reasons. It expands his potential audience somewhat, it allows the reader to think what they will of the God Beyond, and it gives him more variety to work with, just to name a few.

9 hours ago, Yata said:

Yeah if you consider the Adonalsium influence as Cosmere wide you may notice how also with 16 times the power of a Shard (or a bit more than that to be honest) the average level of power is less than the actual Major Shardworld (who are less than 16).

Notice this could be caused not mainly from an absence of Investiture (I think a Shard alone could provide almost unlimited Investiture to the whole Cosmere) but mainly for a Connection issue or other Realmatical Reasons

Perhaps we should say that Investiture is more available and more easily used, or applied, now. 

Evidently, there has been some kind of a change.

Phantine ()

Brandon Sanderson
Emphasis mine

2 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

Perhaps we should say that Investiture is more available and more easily used, or applied, now. 

Evidently, there has been some kind of a change.

Sure if you are in one of the few places where a Shard decided to Invest into. But as I said you didn't talk of "avaliable investiture" before ;-)

• Chaos locked this topic