Other Possibilities for Known Magics

Omniforce

I've been thinking lately about some different ways magics could be used. First in foremost is Gravitation. This surge literally allows someone to MANIPULATE A FUNDAMENTAL FORCE OF PHYSICS! Admittedly the ways it has already been used are awesome, but I believe the surface has barely even been scratched. A lot of people have thrown around how cadmium/bendalloy could be used to achieve FTL by the manipulation of the space time fabric. I think Gravitation is actually more practical for this. Just iimagine, in the middle of a highstorm, Kaladin draws in the stormlight from miles around, and bends the space time fabric of the universe until a wormhole forms between roshar and scadrial. Another surge I like is Abrasion. While I don't think it is able to be used to the same awesome affect, its possibilties are fun. We all know that Abrasion allows a user to increase or decrease friction between objects. Lift uses this to climb sheer surfaces. I think that this priniciple could be turned up to eleven though. Instead of increasing friction against a solid, do it against gas, namely air. While I don't think flight it possible, maybe an edge dancer could cause objects to stick in the air and use them as steps. Or even tie ropes around your wrists and pull a spider man. Actually, now that i think about it, Lift would make a damnation good spidergirl with her abilities, and just being herself. Aside from that tangent, tell me if you have any other ideas for weird, novel, or just plain awesome uses for abilities.

The gravitation surge is awesome, but doesn't appear to protect someone from the force of gravity just alter it's direction. Reverse lashings only seem to pull things separated from the ground with any real force. Those two elements combined seem like unless there are some major things they haven't figured out yet, opening a wormhole would most likely rip the radiant apart. 

When it comes to Surgebinding FTL, I wouldn't use Gravitation for wormholes. I would use Gravitation for basic movement. For actual FTL, I would use the Surge of Transportation. I don't know the exact way the Oathgates use it, but seeing that it can also be used to transport people into the Cognitive Realm, I would propose using it as a form of hyper-drive, transporting a spaceship into the Cognitive, and exiting at the destination.

As for my own ideas, using Breath to awaken a computer, creating sentient machines.

23 hours ago, Omniforce said:

First in foremost is Gravitation. This surge literally allows someone to MANIPULATE A FUNDAMENTAL FORCE OF PHYSICS! Admittedly the ways it has already been used are awesome, but I believe the surface has barely even been scratched. A lot of people have thrown around how cadmium/bendalloy could be used to achieve FTL by the manipulation of the space time fabric. I think Gravitation is actually more practical for this. Just iimagine, in the middle of a highstorm, Kaladin draws in the stormlight from miles around, and bends the space time fabric of the universe until a wormhole forms between roshar and scadrial.

As far as we've seen, binding the surge of gravitation functions by manipulating the spiritual connections between entities in order to affect how they treat gravitational forces, which then results in the physical effects we observe. I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to suggest, but I don't think it's possible with what we know gravitational surgebinding could do.

Lift uses this to climb sheer surfaces.

In order for friction to allow you to climb sheer surfaces, there would need to be some force, no matter how slight, between you and the surface. A 90-degree or greater angled surface would be impossible to climb as she would just fall off. This is because while she is manipulating the coefficient of friction, in order for this to actual produce a force of friction, a normal force must be applied. 

While I don't think flight it possible, maybe an edge dancer could cause objects to stick in the air and use them as steps

The air molecules would just move out of the way. Too much empty space and nothing would be preventing them from moving out of the way of the object. Friction is a fairly negligible factor when considering buoyancy and drag in liquids or gasses. It's really only a consideration between two solid objects as far as I know.

• Chaos locked this topic