Telepathic Technology (BoM Spoilers)

Faceless Mist-Wraith

This is a theory/idea based on the medallion technology we see in BoM. In it we see how the medallions can give people feruchemical powers. So, if you had two medallions that gave people F-copper, could you potentially create a telepathic telephone? 

It would work by having one medallion connected to another by one continuous copper wire. The first person would then place their hand on their medallion and use its powers to create an unkeyed coppermind. They would store their current thoughts in the wire, which since it is one continuous piece would be considered one metal mind. The second person would then use the second medallion to view what was stored in the copper mind and give their response. Each user would see that someone has responded by seeing that the copper mind has been modified.

Obviously due to the copper wire this would be limited over a smaller distances, but I think that this could have interesting applications, especially as Scadrial moves closer to the modern age.

Very creative idea.

I think it's possible, but would have several drawbacks.  First of all, you would forget the message that you had just sent, making for a very frustrating conversation.  Second, you'd have to put three types of metal into one wire, which I'd imagine would be difficult.  Finally, they already have long-distance communication devices (used by Kelesina to communicate with Edwarn).  So I think this would be possible, but largely useless.

Edited by Markus

I thought about that as I was typing up the theory. The only way I can think of that would help get around that would be to store only weak memories, so that you still have enough to remember the basic conversation.

5 hours ago, Markus said:

Second, you'd have to put three types of metal into one wire, which I'd imagine would be difficult.

What do you mean by the three types of metal? I don't follow you there.

I agree that the effort involved makes it highly impractical, especially when there are already simpler solutions, I just thought it could be an interesting application of the technology.

I like the idea in general because the possibility of using the metal inside of wires (such as copper, but other metals are also possibilities) as a type of a metalmind opens up a lot of possibilities. As the computer age advances, you may start seeing certain Mistborns as some sort of cyborg...part man, part machine. Similar to the old Inquisitors with spikes, but with a modernized twist. 

7 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I thought about that as I was typing up the theory. The only way I can think of that would help get around that would be to store only weak memories, so that you still have enough to remember the basic conversation.

What do you mean by the three types of metal? I don't follow you there.

I agree that the effort involved makes it highly impractical, especially when there are already simpler solutions, I just thought it could be an interesting application of the technology.

Is it possible to store weak memories?  I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

Oh, I thought that the nicrosil and alluminum would go through the wire too.  That wouldn't be neccesary though, you're right.

I agree, it is definently a very interesting idea.

• Chaos locked this topic