can a splinter have a vessel

bdoble97

Question

As far as I know we have an exact definition of Vessel (with a capital V).

QUESTION

Would it be possible to create a potential Vessel that has a Connection to all 16 Shards? Through a combination of birth planet, genetics, Hemalurgy...

BRANDON SANDERSON

[Hems and Haws] You… So, terminology--the Vessel holds the Shard. Lots of people have connection to Shards without holding them
WoB

That said I certainly don't think @skaa deserved a downvote for an honest (if slightly terse) contribution to a debate that is almost entirely opinion/speculation about a matter of terminology rather than real content. Tough crowd.

47 minutes ago, zabracks said:

That's actually a really interesting parallel. Taking it a step further, I wonder whether Wax is a Splinter of Harmony at this point.

Splinters are pieces of investiture which gain sentience, and which have never been living entities. Additionally, it doesn't look like Harmony actually did anything to help Wax come back other than ensure that he didn't go Beyond before Marasi arrived with the Bands of Mourning, and maybe provide a slight connection back to the body.

16 hours ago, Argent said:

What happens when a Vessel (technically that person is about to become a Vessel, but that's a technicality we can ignore) picks up a Shard? Well, we don't have a great many examples of that, but both Vin and Sazed lose their physical bodies but retain their minds. Their awareness is transferred to the Cognitive realm, where they seem to continue existing without much change

I think their awareness is primarily or at least largely in the Spiritual Realm rather than the Cognitive, actually, though they can perceive and in some way manifest in all three realms.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='spiritual realm'

Brandon Sanderson

No no no... For instance, Elend burning atium and duralumin pulled most of him into the Spiritual Realm.

Argent

Oh, that's what happens there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. He kind of got yanked into- You also have seen people ascend with the powers and dip into the Spiritual Realm for a little bit.

Argent

So, Vin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. But they could be on both, or either, or both at the same time. But you have seen Vin stick into the Spiritual Realm. And it happened to Sazed/Harmony...

Paladin Brewer

How far can a shardholder see beyond his own world?

Brandon Sanderson

In the spirit realm they can see infinitely.

Argent

Which is segue to Shards Investing in Shardworlds. So is it kind of a...passive...the more a Shard stays on a world, the Investiture kind of seeps…

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it does. Once you’ve got a Perpendicularity, you are starting...That’s trouble for going other places. But you’ve gotta remember, going other places means multiple things to someone actually holding a Shard. They can exist in the Spiritual Realm, where all things are one. And they can even kind of comprehend it.

In addition to this, powers in general come from the Spiritual, so Vin's and Sazed's ability to influence the physical world must be somehow encoded in their now modified sDNA.

That depends on what sDNA actually is, which I don't think is confirmed. I always understood sDNA to be the inheritable part of the spiritweb, which was fixed barring Hemalurgy, lerasium etc., while the spiritweb as a whole could change through life as Connections are built, diminished etc. So I'm not sure either a Shard Vessel or a Returned has modified sDNA. Their Spiritweb as a whole is definitely changed -- in the Shard's case, very dramatically!

The changes a Returned experiences are definitely less dramatic, but they also hold far less Investiture - the equivalent of only 2000 Breaths
So I think it's ultimately a question of definitions. A Returned definitely doesn't experience the radical transformation a Shard Vessel does, but that might be a matter of scale.

Maybe I misspoke. Shards definitely have a strong presence in the Spiritual, but their mind - by definition - resides in the Cognitive. Vin can see the entire world of Scadrial when she Ascends, and Kelsier figures out that while Ruin can do the same, he can only focus on one thing at a time. Location is very much specific to the Cognitive realm, as are minds. So sure, Shards have access to the Spiritual, and they have a lot of access to it, but it's not where their active conscious awareness resides.

I'm curious about what the guy who asked this Q&A question thinks about the discussion so far. Hi, @bdoble97. Is there anything about our answers that you want clarification on? As you can see, while there are beings that have Splinters in them (the Returned), whether or not they can be called Vessels is apparently a totally different matter.

7 minutes ago, skaa said:

I'm curious about what the guy who asked this Q&A question thinks about the discussion so far. Hi, @bdoble97. Is there anything about our answers that you want clarification on? As you can see, while there are beings that have Splinters in them (the Returned), whether or not they can be called Vessels is apparently a totally different matter.

I love all the in-depth response. Is a spren a spliter that has a vessel with that vessel being the Knight Radiant it is bonded to. 

26 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I love all the in-depth response. Is a spren a spliter that has a vessel with that vessel being the Knight Radiant it is bonded to. 

As spool has said it's just the way Rosharans name splinters. However there are many spren on Roshar that do not bond, and many that bond but do not bond to Knights Radiant. The ones that do don't use the KR as a vessel though, they are already self-aware splinters that choose to bond (through a mechanism of Honor, based on that which He used to create Heralds with the Shardblades). Shardic power can take a Vessel but if it doesn't it will tend towards sentience. So KR spren have no Vessel they are just self-aware Splinters that in bonding Ruth certain people allow those people to access Honor's power in the form of specific surges (manipulation of basic forces).