Odium shard killing

Gizmosowner

Question

5 answers to this question

We know a rough timeline of some events.

He went after Ambition first, but couldn't find (him?)
He then took out Devotion and Dominion on Sel (they were the first, so this is the best point to try mapping out timelines)
After D&D, he took out Ambition at some unspecified time.
Odium visits Roshar, gets trapped there for a long while and does Desolations
Around 2 Millennia(by my best estimates) pass, and Honor is killed around the same time as the Recreance occurs.
Remaining 2200-2500 years to the present date in Stormlight Archives.

The problem with reverse engineering it is that we only have a statement by Brandon that is subject to change about how long ago the Shattering was.

6,000 years before Prelude in Stormlight. [2]
Debate about how long the Desolations took ensues... I'm siding with the "there were only 9 Desolations" camp and using the Heraldic Epochs for this.
Dalinar's vision with Midnight Essence gives us a lot of things. Midnight Essence are a sign of an impending Desolation. The date is the Eighth Epoch, 337.
   -If I combine those 2 things with the assumption that after each Desolation is a new Epoch, I can assume (for theoretical convenience) that each Epoch lasted around 350 years.
   -350 years x 9 Desolations (so that Aharietiam was #10 for you Vorin people) is 3,150 years, give or take a few decades.
      -This would give Odium about 2,800 years for Ambition and D&D

Mistborn Era 1 takes place around 300 years before Stormlight(because Alloy happens around that time)
Elantris takes place "far earlier. It's quite... It's not thousands" compared to Hero of Ages. I'll use 1,400 years because it'll be convenient in a minute.
That puts Elantris a few centuries before Rashek's Ascension. The physical city of Elantris was built "hundreds of years if not over a thousand years" before the book takes place. If we put that at another 1,400 year gap, that puts the total time-gap at 3,100 years before Stormlight Archive. (Around the same time Odium got trapped, see? Convenient)

Only Elantrians can draw Aons, and since the city is built as an Aon, the first Elantrians predate it. This is important, because we are assuming that the Aons being based on the land happened after D&D got splintered and shoved into the cognitive (where location and space matter) The early Elantrians learned the language by trial and error, which should preclude the possibility of divine shardic assistance.

We have a 2,800 year timeframe left. Subtract from this however long of a time you think it would take for the early Elantrians to map out the Aons and build the city of Elantris. Take away an additional span of time after D&D were splintered for Elantrians to start appearing (maybe 200-300 years?)

Note: I cannot find anything regarding timelines and the death of Ambition, so there is still room for doubt depending on if Ambition died before or after the events of Elantris. Edit: Yata's right. Ambition had to die before the events of Elantris(Book) so their death is irrelevant to the question

Edited by The One Who Connects

On 10/2/2017 at 10:02 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Note: I cannot find anything regarding timelines and the death of Ambition, so there is still room for doubt depending on if Ambition died before or after the events of Elantris.

I think this is impossible.

Ambition died (of course) before Odium were trapped in GR System, so we have at least a 4500 years before Mistborn (but I would say 5000 for all the previous Desolations).

I honestly don't think Elantris happens 5000 years before Mistborn also because White Sand is still older and some white sand's character is still live at Mistborn trilogy. that character uses a time dilatation method but she is still quite young for someone who lived 5000 years

Edited by Yata

We have a pretty rough outline of present events and storylines, @The One Who Connects has a good one but exact dates dating back to the shattering are unclear. I'd guess Odium/Rayse would have wanted to eliminate Ambition as early as possible considering he thought that particular Shard to be his biggest rival in his plans. In a battle of Shards i imagine our concept of time to be vastly different, spanning centuries and eons. So what we'd consider to be a long time is more or less a blink to them, the process of splintering shards is still pretty much a mystery,it consists of two Shards pushing there power together. I imagine one Shard has to maneuver the other to invest more power into their world or magic so then they can gain the upperhand when they clash.

Odiums been trapped for 4500 years on Braize, before that he Destroyed Devotion and Dominion on Sel, Ambition on Threnody then splintered Honor on Roshar after.

In a nutshell, His goal is to reign supreme, as soon as the opportunity presented itself he struck out hunting Shards.