Powerful Moments - The Fall of the Lord Ruler

"Vin thrust the spear into the Lord Ruler's chest."

And thus ended the Final Empire. I just finished yet another re-read of the first Mistborn book last night. (I like to read books on the worlds I am writing about) and I noticed something really cool that had escaped my notice before. 

As the Lord Ruler passed, three people stood over his corps in the light of the rising sun. Vin the Mistborn, Sazed the Terrisman Keeper, and Marsh the Inquisitor. Here we see the epitome and figureheads of the three metallic arts. These three are literally the most important people in the Final Empire until the end. They seem to stand in for the powers and investitures of Scadrial. I don't know if this was intentional, but it seemed incredibly symbolic that all three of the metallic arts and their wielders stood together as they rejected their false god. 

I cannot but feel a respect for the Lord Ruler. He was terrible. He was cruel. He was uncaring. Yet he fought for so long against something greater. Of all the villans in the Sanderson books, he was the one who most needed to fall, and yet the one who deserved the most respect. I find that I love this parting scene, and if I could draw this would certainly be a moment I would like to capture.

The only thing I wish was different about the scene... it would be even better if a skaa and a nobleman were present, to represent the rest of the world for the passing of Rashek. 

This is one of the better endings to a Sanderson book. What other moments are your favorites in the Brandon Sanderson books? What times are crystal clear in your mind?

In Elantris, I love it when the Elantrians come walking out of the flames, healed and perfect.

In The Way of Kings, it's not my favorite scene, but a powerful one none the less. There's the part where they use the side carry and cause the approach to fall apart. When Kaladin finally realizes that they aren't supposed to live. That staying alive is actually failing his mission and that he and his men are destined to die no matter what he does. Just the weight of that understanding settling on him for the first time. To me it's a very profound and powerful moment...

The entire end of Elantris was just beautiful. Especially the part which DarkJester mentioned and the part where Hrathen does his thing at the end.

Also the part in Words of Radiance when

Spoiler

Dalinar starts floating down and then Kaladin flies in and hits the ground to face off against Szeth.

The only thing I wish was different about the scene... it would be even better if a skaa and a nobleman were present, to represent the rest of the world for the passing of Rashek.

I feel like they kinda were. Sazed was Terris, Vin was Skaa and Marsh was (at least pretending to be) a nobleman.

But apart from that, i really liked reading this post. 

On 2/20/2017 at 0:05 PM, Aurimus_ said:

I feel like they kinda were. Sazed was Terris, Vin was Skaa and Marsh was (at least pretending to be) a nobleman.

But apart from that, i really liked reading this post. 

True I suppose, and yet these three were not the typical of those casts... But your point is well made.

Not a powerfully, Earth Shattering moment or anything really but a personally favorite which always makes me grin when it ever approaches on one of my many rereads.

Wit took a deep breath, then struck the appropriate pose—lazy expectation, calculated knowingness, insufferable conceit. After all, he did have a reputation, so he might as well try to live up to it.

Another moment which is emotionally powerful for me personally is where the trust between Dalinar and Kaladin becomes chiseled in stone.

“Thank you,” Kaladin said to Dalinar, “for believing me.”
“I do listen sometimes, soldier,” Dalinar said. “Now go back to camp and get some rest.”
Kaladin nodded. “Sir? Stay safe out there.”

On 2/23/2017 at 0:58 AM, mirahound said:

*spoilers*

"Dalinar took one step forward, then drove his Blade point-first into the middle of the blackened glyph on the stone. He took a step back. 'For the brigdemen,' he said."

I still get chills.

Just reading your post about the scene gives me chills all over again. I'm gonna have to shell out for hardcovers here pretty soon. I've loaned and reread my mass markets to the point of taping the binding back together 

• 7 months later...

Even though the ending of The Well of Ascension had me literally screaming "NO!" into a pillow (in a good way), I have to pick the end of The Hero of Ages with Sazed becoming the Hero. I never saw it coming and as I read this part, all the clues in the previous books came into my mind and that was the moment when I forgot that I was reading a book and just saw it all happen in my mind. It is probably the most satisfying ending to a series I have ever read and the ending to Stormlight will have to be completely insane to top it. But this is Sanderson, I have faith.

Ending of The Emperor's Soul probably tops the list for me. It was the perfect conclusion to both Shai and Gaotona's arcs

Ending of Infinity Blade: Redemption - I honestly can't believe how well Brandon did with this novella considering his starting material was basically a vanilla dungeon crawler rpg. Despite being around 1/10th of the length of a standard Sanderson novel it probably lands somewhere in my top 10 favorite Sanderson works.

• Chaos locked this topic