Ettmetal Machinery in Eras 3 and 4

Shadeshadow227

I was browsing the forums, when a few things in the Mistborn Forum caught my eye, and made me start thinking about how Ettmetal, and by extension, Allomancy and Feruchemy, could be used in machinery. Personal Flight Vehicles, Emotional Allomancy Non-Lethal Suppression Weaponry for police, the possibilities are basically endless. Anyone else have any ideas?

2 hours ago, Gizmosowner said:

Work out equipment. Store a tone of weight in some iron and then make yourself heavy and move around. If it works the way I think it does the. It should help increase natural muscle mass 

Tapping Weight increases Strength proportionally, so that the extra Weight can be handled without you being crushed. So, it doesn't work the way you think. Sorry.

Well, first I want to point out that ettmetal can, from what little we've seen, apparently be utilized to store and use allomancy like a mistborn. With the caveat that it can be regulated via as yet unrevealed mechanical or electro-mechanical devices. This opens up the possibility of allomancy being used in automated functions through logic, circuitry, and eventually, full blown computing. This would enable the creation of integrated circuits for detecting/reacting to specific types of investiture, hyper efficient alternating steel pushing and iron pulling drive motors, duralumin over clocked super processors, peweter enhanced cranes and industrial equipment, overlapping mechanically driven time bubble array nuclear reactors...the limits are as endless as they are absurd. Jewelry that makes you feel happy and motivated, towers that provided identityless compounded healing feruchemy to aid stations throughout a city, driverless cabs that speed up or slow down time so you can get where you need to go instantly, or have extra time to work along the way as needed. Ettmetal opens up the ability to essentially have an arbitrarily large team of mistings at the disposal of any task. And it probably has some use for feruchemy as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that while we've only seen hemalurgy used with living beings, it appears to be mechanical in nature. Bind points between human physical manifestations and their spirit webs can be accessed and manipulated using hemalurgy. Lower life forms can be similarly affected. What about a sentient android? What about a toaster? What about a stick? The possibilities dear readers, in my opinion, are endless. The only thing we truly know about hemalurgy is that it's potential has only just barely begun to be recognized and explored...

This could be the reason that scadrial will be the most advanced planet. I'm sure Brandon thought of all this. Imagine allomantic space elevators. Using steel pushing to push up. Then they could use their powers to do the whole FTL thing. Weight to counteract the negative affects of living in space, chromium for cryosleep, the possibilities are amazing 

That's true, it has been confirmed that some aspect of the metallic arts allows them to...somehow...be used for faster than light travel and, in my opinion, it's strongly hinted that, Sixth of Dusk Spoilers:

Spoiler

The scientist/engineer who fakes his death by pretending to choke on a piece of food in order to deliver advanced technology and blue prints to the people of First of The Sun is a Gasper, which would most likely make him from Scadrial

Obviously, some sort of balance will have to be struck in not over saturating the story with wild and outrageous allomancy tech; like, there still have to be plots and characters that are interesting in their own right on every page.  That said, I'll offer one more prediction for an era 4 allomancy-feruchemy technology:

Identityless copperminds that can be filled directly from a computer terminal.  People could compound copper to create content on a public network without losing their memories, then, assuming feruchemic charge can be conducted, or in some way transferred, along copper wires, it could be accessed by any citizen remotely with perfect recall.  Imagine, doctors who can instantly read and memorize every medical journal every written when they wake up each morning, soldiers with a full knowledge of every word ever written on military theory and strategy, students who can memorize a dozen textbooks on differential equations in an instant.  Now, having knowledge of a topic does not necessarily imply having an understanding of that topic, and the downloaded information would likely be forgotten relatively quickly if too much was pulled in at once so schools, clinicals, and new employee training would all still have to exist, but they would also be wildly more effective.

13 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

Tapping Weight increases Strength proportionally, so that the extra Weight can be handled without you being crushed. So, it doesn't work the way you think. Sorry.

Tapping weight increases your body's strength only enough so that your body doesn't crush itself, and no more. You will exceed the strength needed to move eventually.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Riversong said:

I actually have a theory about ettmetal. I think it is either sodium, potassium, lithium, cesium, rubidium, or francium. (Based upon their reaction with water).

It's a non-existent metal which is very close to cesium in atomic structure. 

• Chaos locked this topic