Do Kandra have heartbeats

Boongeebee

Since Kandra are simply a pile of muscles, tissue and brain matter they don't need a circulatory system.  So, do they have a beating heart?  It's a muscle, so they could make one and have it beat, but I wonder if they typically do.
I don't remember one bleeding either.

If not it's a good way to find them.
Your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

So it was confirmed that that was when the switch happened? I must have missed that. Thanks for the info!

But I thought the Kandra created blood when they impersonated someone? Mist wraiths don't seem red tinged, so I doubt their blood is the same as humans.

TenSoon explained it after she killed Zane. It's possible that they create blood, or at least tint whatever fluid is in their circulatory system red in order maintain the deception. Since as you say mistwraiths don't appear to have blood, it does seem more likely that they're tinting a fluid in them. I think they should have a circulatory system in any case, as the wouldn't be able to maintain themselves when impersonating otherwise.

@Boongeebee I definitely think you're right that they could imitate a heart and circulatory system.  The question of whether or not they need to in order to function is interesting though...I don't think we know enough about kandra physiology yet to say one way or the other.

I believe Tensoon loses mass during his imprisonment, which sort of implies, but definitely isn't conclusive, that Kandra need to eat at least occasionally and possess some manner of metabolism (IE: he might be losing mass because he's breathing out CO2 as his body eats itself for sustenance); The Coppermind claims they need to maintain a certain amount of mass to remain intelligent, so I would imagine it's at least technically possible for a kandra to essentially starve to death given a long enough timeline.  The question of whether kandra need blood and a circulatory system (and therefore a heartbeat), as I understand it, comes down to whether or not they need to breath (absorb?) air in a quantity similar to that required by a human of comparable mass to survive.  Honestly, I could see this going either way.  Good question.

• Chaos locked this topic