Just Another Hoid Theory

DarkJester

Ok. Let me start off as saying this isn't exactly something I believe. It's just a thought I had that struck me as kinda cool. I'm just going to jump right in and then flesh it out a bit, then you guys can tear it up or do with it as you please. 

Hoid, the real Hoid that is, was actually Adonalsium. (I'm going to refer to our current Hoid as his other alias, Wit for ease.)  I propose that Adonalsium was the name of the power before it was shattered, and that it was attached to a person, in this case, Hoid. After all, the shards have each been taken up by a person to wield, and we know that one person can hold more than one power, actually giving them a new form. Example being Sazed taking up Ruin and Preservation, dual wielding them in the form of Harmony. If one person were to take up and wield all of the shards, they would wield Adonalsium. So Hoid may have been the person that actually wielded Adonalsium. 

Now being a god and living forever would probably get a little lonely after a while. Hoid needed a companion. We know that Hoid had a student/partner/companion. (We can assume that Wit was more than a student considering he said Hoid was someone he should have loved.) We know that Wit is actually thousands of years old at this point, but his longevity has yet to be explained. Hoid/Adonalsium wouldn't profit much from an apprentice that he had to replace and train every 50 years or so, so it would make sense for him to make Wit semi-immortal. Aside from his long life span we have to assume that it includes actually protecting him from most physical harm. Proof being the fact that he spent a long time in the stomach of a chasm fiend and coming out alive and well. (It was several years I think he spent in there. Someone correct me on this please.)

Now Hoid isn't going to just hand over immortality to someone without some safety measures. So he made it impossible for Wit to physically harm anyone. It wouldn't be wise to make someone immortalish and let them retain the power to run amuck unrestrained. (I just realized we may actually see something similar to this in Secret History and Preservation's feeling for the Lord Ruler) That's why it's not that Wit chooses not to hurt people, but that he physically can't do it. That's why it surprises him when he actually manages to attack Kelsier in the cognitive realm. 

So now we have Wit as the personal assistant to Hoid. Over time, Hoid begins to teach Wit about the inner workings of the Cosmere. He teaches him about the physical, spiritual, and cognitive realms. He learns to not only see things from behind the scenes, but how to manipulate them. He teaches Wit, and over time Wit gets to know Hoid better and better. Just as in any relationship though, flaws begin to appear and imperfections begin to show. Hoid is just a man after all... A man imbued with the power of god, but still a man.

Wit begins to become disenchanted with his god. Eventually it gets to the point where he decides that Hoid has to go... Wit ether begins to plot his downfall and gathers a group, or a group approaches Wit and begins convincing him to help bring Hoid down. How ever it happened, Hoid is brought down and is stripped of his power. His power is shattered and others take It up in his stead.

Fast forward several thousand years and we have a Wit that sees how the shards have been ruining (no pun intended) everything that he loved. Wit misses the good old days, and realizes his mistake. He realizes he should have loved and appreciated Hoid and the things he did as Adonalsium. Thus he begins his journey to reunite the shards and potentially bring about the return of Adonalsium. Wit turned down the power before, but he was chosen and groomed by Hoid himself. Wit intends to eventually take up the mantle of his former master and teacher, Adonalsium.

So there it is. Have fun with it. Like I said, tear it up or flesh it out. 

Certainly a pretty good theroy, with good evidence.

52 minutes ago, Zantis said:

I'm fairly sure Wit in the Stormlight Archives is just Hoid going by another name.

And he is. However, the character we know as Hoid stole his name from another, a long time ago. If you read the original post, it mentions that, for simplicity, the post will call the character who many of us call Hoid, who world-hops and appears in each cosmere story (bar maybe one or two), Wit, and the original person with that name Hoid.

I have thought of this theory as well. My lil bro thinks Uncle Andy's cognitive shadow is Wit. But i dont think so. 

What do we know?

1. His immortal.

2. His "been around forever". 

3. His first act or theft is himself, who started as words on a page.

4. His spiritually blind.

5. He cant hurt people. 

6. He collects 'treasures'.

Eta. Late and im drunkand on da phone, but.... someone should start a thread about Hoid/Wit facts. 

If i follow my lil bros theory that his a cognitive shadow id say it was of the singularly chrystal that Adonalsium is but a small shard of. And every gallaxy had a shard of this singularity chrystal. The larger the gallaxy the bigger Adonalsiums brother/sisters are. 

However, i still cant shake the feeling that his a character in a story Uncle Andy created. And being so x16 invested Uncle Andys favorite character in the story became sentient, and broke free of his 'story'. Hell he could be a dragon!! Who collects his precious {treasures with investure}.

I have thought of this theory as well. My lil bro thinks Uncle Andy's cognitive shadow is Wit. But i dont think so. 

What do we know?

1. His immortal.

2. His "been around forever". 

3. His first act or theft is himself, who started as words on a page.

4. His spiritually blind.

5. He cant hurt people. 

6. He collects 'treasures'.

Eta. Late and im drunkand on da phone, but.... someone should start a thread about Hoid/Wit facts. 

If i follow my lil bros theory that his a cognitive shadow id say it was of the singularly chrystal that Adonalsium is but a small shard of. And every gallaxy had a shard of this singularity chrystal. The larger the gallaxy the bigger Adonalsiums brother/sisters are. 

However, i still cant shake the feeling that his a character in a story Uncle Andy created. And being so x16 invested Uncle Andys favorite character in the story became sentient, and broke free of his 'story'. Hell he could be a dragon!! Who collects his precious {treasures with investure}.

I am sorry to disprove this theory but Wit was a regular guy in his youth on Yolen and his master "the original Hoid" was a regular human too. I don't want to go beyond this point because Liar of the Partinel is both spoiler and not yet un-canon. But I think great relevant facts about "who is Adonalsium ?" and similar question are already fixed in Brandon's mind from years.

So Hoid started off an an idea, like words on a page. And he stole himself.... 

Has Brandon hinted on another character being in the same situation? 

In Secret Histories theres a conversation between Kelsier and Ruin that goes:

"...Look at you, Kelsier! You haven’t form or shape. You’re not alive, you’re an idea. A memory of a man holding the power will never be as potent as a real one with ties to all three Realms.”  

Ruin, a god describes Kel as an 'idea'. And whats Kels profession again? 

3 hours ago, Thanatos said:

So Hoid started off an an idea, like words on a page. And he stole himself.... 

Has Brandon hinted on another character being in the same situation? 

In Secret Histories theres a conversation between Kelsier and Ruin that goes:

"...Look at you, Kelsier! You haven’t form or shape. You’re not alive, you’re an idea. A memory of a man holding the power will never be as potent as a real one with ties to all three Realms.”  

Ruin, a god describes Kel as an 'idea'. And whats Kels profession again? 

Well nice job catching details like that, but considering... Secret History spoiler.

Spoiler

Hoid actually shows up and commences to beat the crap out of Kelsier... It makes it a little unlikely that Kelsier is actually Hoid...

DarkJester

I wasnt alluding to Kel being Hoid. Just that Ruin describes Kel what Hoid describes himself. 

Meaning Hoid could have started off as a cognitive shadow. 

The words of a page comment Hoid said could mean;

Page = Cosmere 

Words = Hoids essence.

30 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

DarkJester

I wasnt alluding to Kel being Hoid. Just that Ruin describes Kel what Hoid describes himself. 

Meaning Hoid could have started off as a cognitive shadow. 

The words of a page comment Hoid said could mean;

Page = Cosmere 

Words = Hoids essence.

Except non-canonically, Hoid is revealed to have originated as a normal human being on Yolen. Could change I suppose, but I don't think that at that time the power to create fully sapient cognitive entities existed. Also, saying something started out as a cognitive shadow is technically impossible, since cognitive shadows are a cognitive entity which has lost its connection to its physical body, literally the imprint of the physical body into the cognitive realm. You can't start as a shadow.

Well far be it from me to talk about Hoids Origin and motivation (wasn't around back than sorry).

But let's not forget that Hoid rarely lies and he does quite enjoy his abstract metaphors..

Hoid talking about himself starting out as an idea, words on a page that he ended up stealing etc, could be in relation to how he became who he is and not how he was.. Born?

But, while we're at it let's run with the idea that it is relating to Hoids birth. I see where you're coming from Yata, I think I may have a memory of a WoB stating Hoid as a human on Yolen (remember Mr S is quite sneaking in his revelations) .

I'm thinking, is it possible for someone as powerful as Uncle Andy to create a human based on a character of one of his favorite stories / fairy tales created by the Yolenese?

*~ HIF ~*

• Chaos locked this topic