Allomantic Symbolism and Spikes

Mirdrim

Question

This may have been something that's been discussed extensively, or just so obvious that people don't even bother, but I've been looking at the Allomantic symbols for metals, and I noticed for the first time (not proud of this) that the lines in the symbols are spikes, piercing the symbols.

My question is this: Does the location of the spike on the Allomantic symbol for a metal indicate in any way the location the spike needs to be placed to grant Allomantic ability through Hemalurgic spikes?

It could totally be just a stylized way to make the symbols look cool, and also be highly thematic, but things like the script on WoK/WoR pre-chapter annotations can be translated, so most of his art is not just some artist who hasn't read the book's brain child, it is directly applicable to the novels.

6 answers to this question

I don't think so. I had a look at some of the symbols, and I don't think you could easily see what part of the body it's meant to be, if you're meaning it that way. I always thought that they were just stylised, but with ones that are connected having certain similarities (such as iron and steel, which have some obvious similarities). The person who drew them may have a system that means something, but I don't think it's related to hemalurgy.

I asked this question a while back and was told the the beads represent Allomancy, the bands(arcs) Feruchemy, and the spikes are Hemalurgy BUT placement of each was purely artistic.I suspect there is more meaning behind them though. beyond my feelings no other deeper meaning has been found or derived by the illustrious group.

But the symbols do represent letters. Go to the coppermind and search for the steel Alphabet for more details. there.