Hello, Sanderson fans

geoffw35

I am new to Brandon's work. So far, I've read WoK and WoR twice each (more re-readings to come), Elantris, and most of Arcanum Unbounded (not the Mistborn stuff yet), and I am just about 1/2 way through Mistborn: The Final Empire. I find Stormlight to be the most mature of his works and I love the complexity. I intend to read all of his adult fiction (maybe some YA too, not sure yet on that). I also watched all of his BYU lectures in the "write about dragons" class.

I love the amount of information on the various fan sites. I'll attempt to spend more time on them, though I'm quite busy catching up with the novels.

Best,

Geoff Wright

Hello! Welcome to the forums! Have an upvote :)

Have you heard of e Cosmere yet? If not, you're in for a bit of a wild ride. Look out for someone named Hoid :ph34r: 

Mistborn is my favorite, but it's best taken in the context of the whole series.

Oh, and if you get offered cookies, RUN. I can't tell you why yet (spoilers and all), but trust me; you don't want them :P 

8 minutes ago, geoffw35 said:

I am new to Brandon's work. So far, I've read WoK and WoR twice each (more re-readings to come), Elantris, and most of Arcanum Unbounded (not the Mistborn stuff yet), and I am just about 1/2 way through Mistborn: The Final Empire. I find Stormlight to be the most mature of his works and I love the complexity. I intend to read all of his adult fiction (maybe some YA too, not sure yet on that). I also watched all of his BYU lectures in the "write about dragons" class.

I love the amount of information on the various fan sites. I'll attempt to spend more time on them, though I'm quite busy catching up with the novels.

Best,

Geoff Wright

Hi there, Geoff!

I'm bleeder. I like music and vests.

Welcome to the Shard! You'll learn much. 

You will be offered cookies. 

Do not eat the cookies.

If you ever need anything, feel free to let me know!

Welcome @geoffw35! If you don't know about the Cosmere, I must tell you, you shall get confused. Be careful in this site, I recommend for you not to explore it until you have read all of Brandon's books, right now, the only thing you'll find here are spoilers. For entering this amazing community, you deserve an up vote and a cookie!

CA3F62E2-596D-400F-B047-ABF9E8368E5A-3558-000005B0939A5286_tmp.png

3 minutes ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Hello! Welcome to the forums! Have an upvote :)

Have you heard of e Cosmere yet? If not, you're in for a bit of a wild ride. Look out for someone named Hoid :ph34r: 

Mistborn is my favorite, but it's best taken in the context of the whole series.

Oh, and if you get offered cookies, RUN. I can't tell you why yet (spoilers and all), but trust me; you don't want them :P 

Thanks for the welcome! I am quite interested in the Cosmere. It is a great idea and adds a lot of depth to Brandon's work with the promise to be much more in the future. And yes, I have seen Hoid show up in all the worlds so far. Very cool character!

For the past 20 years, I have considered A Song of Ice and Fire to be the best fantasy series ever written. Now, in just two books, I am pretty sure Stormlight will jump to number 1 for me. I hope Brandon continues to display his superior work ethic.

23 hours ago, geoffw35 said:

Best,

Geoff Wright

Welcome to the Shard!
You are going to want to read the YA stuff, it can be pretty amazing...You would probably appreciate Alcatraz.
I am a human named DroughtBringer, yup...a human....

Hi.

4 hours ago, DroughtBringer said:

Welcome to the Shard!
You are going to want to read the YA stuff, it can be pretty amazing...You would probably appreciate Alcatraz.
I am a human named DroughtBringer, yup...a human....

Hi.

OK, thanks. I really don't usually get much enjoyment out of YA, though. I found Harry Potter pretty boring. But then, I didn't grow up with them. What would you say i should try first? After the Mistborn series, that is. I've only read the first of those. Currently reading (listening to, actually) Edgedancer for the second time. It is the funniest thing I've yet read from Brandon. Great sense of humor!

8 minutes ago, geoffw35 said:

OK, thanks. I really don't usually get much enjoyment out of YA, though. I found Harry Potter pretty boring. But then, I didn't grow up with them. What would you say i should try first? After the Mistborn series, that is. I've only read the first of those. Currently reading (listening to, actually) Edgedancer for the second time. It is the funniest thing I've yet read from Brandon. Great sense of humor!

Okay...Alcatraz, do it, it is a fun, engaging story, and it significantly funnier (more funny?) than Edgedancer. It is a very interesting story. You might as well try it out, and see if you enjoy it. Your choice.

Welcome! I, personally,  did not like his Alcatraz books (they are just too silly for me). I recommend reading the Reckoners series, beginning with Steelheart, if you want to try his YA works. I think you will enjoy Mistborn...they are a close second for favorite Sanderson works!

Hello, Geoff! Since you like the Stormlight Archive, I highly recommend you read Warbreaker (it's free!), then immediately do a Words of Radiance and Edgedancer re-read. You're welcome. :)

As for Brandon's YA books, I much prefer the Rithmatist, though it's probably the closest to Harry Potter, which you found boring. In Potter terms, the Rithmatist is like a story about a Muggle/Squib studying at Hogwarts as a Ravenclaw (i.e. very smart) student. If that premise doesn't interest you, then I guess you might be more interested in Brandon's other YA stuff.

Edited by skaa

To the friendly cookie peddlers, I think I'll take the advice of some others and pass for now. Thanks, though.

I can't say whether I will read the YA works or not. However, I do expect them to be a step or two above Harry Potter. I probably was too harsh on the latter. I should probably just say they didn't keep my interest enough to continue after book 4. My daughter, whose taste is similar to mine (she turned me onto Brandon and Rothfuss) loves them, but she read them when young. So I gave them a decent try. She still says I would like them more as they get darker in tone. Maybe.

Wassup Geoff! I'm Marsh. Hopefully you're far enough into Mistborn to get that reference. If you're looking for the next Brandon book to read, definitely pop over to his website and download Warbreaker for free. It's the only cosmere book he's released free of charge. And of course finish the mistborn trilogy. It's still my favorite, after all this time. 

9 hours ago, Ironeyes said:

Wassup Geoff! I'm Marsh. Hopefully you're far enough into Mistborn to get that reference. If you're looking for the next Brandon book to read, definitely pop over to his website and download Warbreaker for free. It's the only cosmere book he's released free of charge. And of course finish the mistborn trilogy. It's still my favorite, after all this time. 

Thanks, Marsh. I downloaded Warbreaker some time back. I'm going to start the second Mistborn book. Then, after the Mistborn trilogy (should I read all the Mistborn novels first?), probably Warbreaker.

JUQ, I like to use the same username on all forums I frequent, like reddit, where Brandon is so very generous with his time and answers. Your suggestion for a name is not a bad one, though.

19 hours ago, geoffw35 said:

I agree with Harry Potter being boring, but I never read them until recently, only seeing the movies. Have you read White Sand yet? If not, it is a great stress reliever and has some pretty great illustrations in there. By the way, the cookies aren't as bad as the Assassins in Technicolor Clothing make them out to be, they are actually quite enjoyable after the first three or five.

Edited by averyp1017

On 12/13/2016 at 0:48 PM, averyp1017 said:

I agree with Harry Potter being boring, but I never read them until recently, only seeing the movies. Have you read White Sand yet? If not, it is a great stress reliever and has some pretty great illustrations in there. By the way, the cookies aren't as bad as the Assassins in Technicolor Clothing make them out to be, they are actually quite enjoyable after the first three or five.

I did recently finish volume 1 of White Sand. I can't say I'm a big fan of graphic novels, but sometimes they can be very entertaining (Watchmen, Preacher). Even if I hated graphic novels, I would have read it for Khriss. I've got to find out all I can about worldhoppers and everything else Cosmere related.

On 12/11/2016 at 4:55 PM, geoffw35 said:

Thanks for the welcome! I am quite interested in the Cosmere. It is a great idea and adds a lot of depth to Brandon's work with the promise to be much more in the future. And yes, I have seen Hoid show up in all the worlds so far. Very cool character!

For the past 20 years, I have considered A Song of Ice and Fire to be the best fantasy series ever written. Now, in just two books, I am pretty sure Stormlight will jump to number 1 for me. I hope Brandon continues to display his superior work ethic.

I went straight from ASoIaF to Mistborn and was very pleasantly surprised when the characters I liked got to live, ha 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 7:15 PM, skaa said:

Hello, Geoff! Since you like the Stormlight Archive, I highly recommend you read Warbreaker (it's free!), then immediately do a Words of Radiance and Edgedancer re-read. You're welcome. :)

As for Brandon's YA books, I much prefer the Rithmatist, though it's probably the closest to Harry Potter, which you found boring. In Potter terms, the Rithmatist is like a story about a Muggle/Squib studying at Hogwarts as a Ravenclaw (i.e. very smart) student. If that premise doesn't interest you, then I guess you might be more interested in Brandon's other YA stuff.

***some potential SPOILERS here***

I did read Warbreaker and liked it a lot. It has a cruel and abusive method of investiture, though some seem to be proud of giving up their breaths to important "gods" like the King. Re-read Edgedancer also and the last part of WoR. It is going to be interesting to see what happened and will happen with Nightblood. It looks like the Warbreaker sequel will answer much about that.

I've been on a Brandon reading/listening binge lately and have read all of the Cosmere stories except Bands of Mourning, which I'm waiting for from the library. I purchase most all of Brandon's stuff in both Kindle and audiobook forms (I like Whispersync), but have treated the Wax and Wayne books as not as important--maybe that is a mistake; I'll see in time. Whether I think I'll re-read/listen is key to that decision.

As for the YA works, I don't know yet. Right now I feel I need to spend time on the wiki and immerse myself more in the Cosmere. Lots of character names and places to commit to memory. Just paying more attention to the epigraphs in WoK and WoR has paid off nicely.

Thanks,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to checkout some of the YA books. The one that was available right away from the library was Rithmatist, so that was what I read. What a strange magic system! I did enjoy it, though. Obviously it is meant to have a sequel.

Other than that, I've read all but one of the adult Cosmere related books. I'll read Bands of Mourning soon to complete them and then stay on top of things. I've become very passionate about Brandon's writing. 

Edited by geoffw35