Hi there!

sctfn

Hello! I'm new here. My husband got me into Sanderson's books after I'd gotten him into the Wheel of Time, and I just finished reading the last of the published Cosmere (Warbreaker, after a sidetrack for Arcanum Unbounded). Now that there's no published stuff that can spoil me, I figured I'd go nuts with wild theorizing. So, here I am!

10 minutes ago, sctfn said:

Hello! I'm new here. My husband got me into Sanderson's books after I'd gotten him into the Wheel of Time, and I just finished reading the last of the published Cosmere (Warbreaker, after a sidetrack for Arcanum Unbounded). Now that there's no published stuff that can spoil me, I figured I'd go nuts with wild theorizing. So, here I am!

Welcome to the Shard. I hope you find the people here as likeable as I have. Since you are new to the Shard, I guess you deserve a gift! Here, have a cookie.

CA3F62E2-596D-400F-B047-ABF9E8368E5A-3558-000005B0939A5286_tmp.png

3 minutes ago, Mirdrim said:

Hello, welcome to the Shard.  What has your favorite Sanderson novel been so far?

Asking that question makes me realize that I would probably list off over half of his books if I was asked the same. :lol:  Good luck answering.

Oh my... I'd have to split my answer two ways: Words of Radiance for the story/mythology, and Alloy of Law for the characters. Roshar's my favorite world and its magic system is strongest, but I could listen to Wayne gab for hours at a time.

EDIT: by "Roshar's magic system is strongest", I mean that it's the one that fits best in its story.

Edited by sctfn
Clarifying statement

7 hours ago, sctfn said:

Hello, sctfn! I am bleeder. I like music and vests.

Welcome to our Shard! Learn a lot! Make friends! Do not eat cookies for your soul's own sake!

If you need anything, feel free to let me know.

See you around!

13 hours ago, sctfn said:

Oh my... I'd have to split my answer two ways: Words of Radiance for the story/mythology, and Alloy of Law for the characters. Roshar's my favorite world and its magic system is strongest, but I could listen to Wayne gab for hours at a time.

EDIT: by "Roshar's magic system is strongest", I mean that it's the one that fits best in its story.

I would agree with that.  The magic system on Roshar is the most intriguing to me, and, though I loved the Mistborn magic and the creative methods they could be used, especially in era 2, I think we will see some very cool things with Roshar. The nature of plate and blades, the Listeners and their nuances are very interesting to me as well..

Though there are a ton of secrets with Mistborn, I find myself a little more sated with them after the original trilogy and Secret History...of course...Secret History just opens up a world of questions in the greater Cosmere.

It's good to have you, I look forward to wild speculations :)

7 minutes ago, Mirdrim said:

I would agree with that.  The magic system on Roshar is the most intriguing to me, and, though I loved the Mistborn magic and the creative methods they could be used, especially in era 2, I think we will see some very cool things with Roshar. The nature of plate and blades, the Listeners and their nuances are very interesting to me as well..

Though there are a ton of secrets with Mistborn, I find myself a little more sated with them after the original trilogy and Secret History...of course...Secret History just opens up a world of questions in the greater Cosmere.

It's good to have you, I look forward to wild speculations :)

Yeah, with the Roshar magic system you feel like there's always something to discover, well, at least they are adding that to the metallic arts in Wax and Wayne with Trell.

22 minutes ago, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

Yeah, with the Roshar magic system you feel like there's always something to discover, well, at least they are adding that to the metallic arts in Wax and Wayne with Trell.

For a first touch of wild speculation, Trell is Odium, or I'll eat Wayne's hat.

Just now, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

Yeah, I think that too. I would really like for Brandon to introduce Odium in the other books besides The Stormlight Archive.

Since he's said that he's going through book 5 of Stormlight to begin, my guess is that Odium will escape Roshar there. Wax and Wayne is set after Stormlight 5 but before Stormlight 6, so between that and the red eyes, I'm pretty confident.

3 minutes ago, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

Absolutely, this is why I have such a hard time sort of explaining why I like one story over another.  I feel like Roshar just has that truly epic fantasy feel, where there is a massive overarching story that transcends the characters themselves.  Mistborn absolutely has some great aspects of the same feeling.  I do enjoy the shorter nature of the Mistborn series, and the pacing is awesome, but I came from Wheel of Time, Saga of Recluce, and other, similarly huge series.  I have very little issue with reading a backstory, flashback, or a somewhat boring introduction and character building, because I know the importance of the characterization and building out the traits that will influence their use of the magic systems, and what not.

I absolutely love Mistborn, but I always find myself so engrossed in Stormlight.

13 minutes ago, sctfn said:

Since he's said that he's going through book 5 of Stormlight to begin, my guess is that Odium will escape Roshar there. Wax and Wayne is set after Stormlight 5 but before Stormlight 6, so between that and the red eyes, I'm pretty confident.

Yeah, I hope after Stormlight 5, Odium is known in all of the worlds, that would be absolutely amazing, because from my point of view, Odium is kind of like the bad guy in the Cosmere, so if Brandon decides to make Trell be Odium, that would be the start of a whole new era not just for Stormlight, but for the whole Cosmere.

1 hour ago, Mirdrim said:

Absolutely, this is why I have such a hard time sort of explaining why I like one story over another.  I feel like Roshar just has that truly epic fantasy feel, where there is a massive overarching story that transcends the characters themselves.  Mistborn absolutely has some great aspects of the same feeling.  I do enjoy the shorter nature of the Mistborn series, and the pacing is awesome, but I came from Wheel of Time, Saga of Recluce, and other, similarly huge series.  I have very little issue with reading a backstory, flashback, or a somewhat boring introduction and character building, because I know the importance of the characterization and building out the traits that will influence their use of the magic systems, and what not.

I absolutely love Mistborn, but I always find myself so engrossed in Stormlight.

Yeah, that's exactly what I feel. The other books are good, but Stormlight is perfection. @bleeder Ok, I'll make sure to not do that again. ;).

Edited by Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew

As far as the Trell being Odium theory, I can see that, but I personally subscribe to the idea that Trell is a different shard either acting on behalf of Odium, or being manipulated by Odium.

There was a longer thread with a bunch of people discussing it, and, though I don't think either option has been satisfyingly and conclusively proven, I do think that the fact that there are 16 shards leads me to believe that we will see another shard rather than Odium himself, though I do think Odium will be in some way involved, at minimum exploiting the conflict between Trell and Harmony.

Edited by Mirdrim

15 minutes ago, Mirdrim said:

As far as the Trell being Odium theory, I can see that, but I personally subscribe to the idea that Trell is a different shard either acting on behalf of Odium, or being manipulated by Odium.

There was a longer thread with a bunch of people discussing it, and, though I don't think either option has been satisfyingly and conclusively proven, I do think that the fact that there are 16 shards leads me to believe that we will see another shard rather than Odium himself, though I do think Odium will be in some way involved, at minimum exploiting the conflict between Trell and Harmony.

Interesting possibility, but if Rayse really was as, well, odious as Hoid said in The Letter, then I doubt that anyone who knew him will work with him willingly again.

Then again, it could be unknowing manipulation...

15 minutes ago, sctfn said:

Interesting possibility, but if Rayse really was as, well, odious as Hoid said in The Letter, then I doubt that anyone who knew him will work with him willingly again.

Then again, it could be unknowing manipulation...

Agreed, and I think it's more likely some indirect manipulation, rather than a different shard working 'on behalf of' Odium.  Ultimately, by this point, I think most of the shards that aren't newly held are well aware of Odium's intent, which would lead them to b less than keen on working with him.  I don't think it's inconceivable that Odium could act in such a way as to concern other shards that Harmony is a potential threat, or that he had managed to convince a newly held dual-shard into working with him, causing another well-meaning shard to try to disrupt Harmony's work.

The second half of that is maybe a little flimsy, as Trell's actions definitely seem malicious, but of course we are watching from in-world and have a limited scope of the situation.

3 minutes ago, Mirdrim said:

Agreed, and I think it's more likely some indirect manipulation, rather than a different shard working 'on behalf of' Odium.  Ultimately, by this point, I think most of the shards that aren't newly held are well aware of Odium's intent, which would lead them to b less than keen on working with him.  I don't think it's inconceivable that Odium could act in such a way as to concern other shards that Harmony is a potential threat, or that he had managed to convince a newly held dual-shard into working with him, causing another well-meaning shard to try to disrupt Harmony's work.

The second half of that is maybe a little flimsy, as Trell's actions definitely seem malicious, but of course we are watching from in-world and have a limited scope of the situation.

There's also the language of the followers of Trell. They're mostly complaining about how Harmony is "weak", and that they need "strength" in their god. They're using the language of hatred and aggression, which strongly suggests Odium himself.