[Minor Edgedancer Spoilers] Edgedance Minor Spren

WildSpeculation

I am surprised I have not seen anything about this here. Maybe everyone thought it was too obvious. Here goes though: Lifespren are to Edgedancers as windspren are to Windrunners. We see in WOR that Kaladin draws windspren to him and we see in ED that Lift draws lifespren to her. That's it, no crazy WildSpeculation, just an observation.

I thought it might be fun however, to WildlySpeculate the 'minor' spren of the other KR Orders. My speculations are in parentheses.

BondSmiths: Major: Various Mega Spren i.e. Stormfather. Minor ?

Windrunners: Honorspren/windspren

Skybreakers: Highspren/?

Dustbringers: ?/?

Edgedancers: Cultivationspren/lifespren

Truthwatchers: ?/?

Lightweavers: liespren(cryptics) /? (creationspren?)

Elsecallers:  Inkspren/? (logicspren)

Willshapers: ?/?

Stonewards: ?/?

Looking at the two 'confirmed' (by that I mean I see it as canon, so there :P) sets of Major/Minor spren, we see an emotion/idea spren and a nature spren. I wonder if that, admittedly, small sample size sets the pattern for us to follow. If it does then it throws my guesses out the window into the highstorm. Any educated guess or non-educated guesses?

Yeah, I did notice that, but I guess I assumed it was too obvious and would rather talk about something more complicated. Thanks for starting this topic; it is a fairly important revelation that deserves some discussion.

I agree that Lift attracts lifespren the same way Shallan/Kaladin attract creationspren/windspren. I like your idea for Elsecaller's secondary spren; it fits with the relationship between major/minor spren. (Syl looks like a windspren, Kaladin attracts windspren. Wyndle looks like a living vine, Lift attracts lifespren. Pattern likes lies (or creative lying), and Shallan attracts creationspren.) If we interpret Inkspren less literally, being about books, then logicspren fits in with them quite well.

I think flamespren might be a good fit for the Dustbringers, just because it matches with their destructive capability and their color of red. But we'd need to see the Major spren for them first.

Skybreakers follow the law; I don't think we've seen anything like obediencespren or bureaucracyspren, but maybe fearspren are a possibility? (That's probably selling the Skybreakers short. They're interesting, but they're not bad guys.)

I actually had a topic all typed up on this very thing, but decided I wasn't promoting any actual discussion, so I deleted it. I didn't think to speculate on the other orders, though.

I too think flamespren make sense for the Dustbringers/Releasers. 

While logicspren do fit nicely with what we know of Elsecallers, and Jasnah in particular (in WoR prologue especially), I've actually begun thinking they may be associated with Skybreakers. I'm rereading WoK, and Shallan mentions early on that logicspren take the form of tiny stormclouds. Using more WildSpeculation to support this theory, I've long thought that Skybreakers will be able to use the Division surge to have some sort of lightning abilities, and with them flying using Gravity, stormclouds fit right in with them. Finally, while it's not perfect since laws can be illogical, I think there's an argument to be made that perfectly following the law is an exercise in logic, in the sense that you take all emotion out of the equation. All that said, I can see either order having them be their Minor spren.

Interestingly enough, these two orders are connected with a line in the double eye graphic...

I haven't that slightest clue what that means, if anything, as Windrunners and Lightweavers are connected as well, and they don't seem to have any spren connection, except that their Major spren don't like each other.

I haven't the slightest clue what it could be for Truthwatchers.

Willshapers and Stonewards - has there been any sort of reference to a metal or stone spren? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but those are the types of things I associate with the two, respectively.

A few observations I want to make.

• The minor spren are attracted based on what the Surgebinder does, not how others view the Surgebinder. This is, I believe, a simple but important distinction. Kaladin attracts windspren while riding the winds; Shallan attracts creationspren while drawing; Lift attracts lifespren while growing things. An order that causes others to be afraid of them would not have fearspren as the minor spren because the others are attracting the spren with their emotions, not the Surgebinder.
  • Minor spren can likely be found almost anywhere. The Radiants operated all over Roshar, so they would need to attract minor spren everywhere. So, while the image ls amusing, there is probably not any order running around drunk in order to attract a minor spren of alespren. It should be noted that not all spren can be seen in the phyysical realm, so spren found almost anywhere can be more broad than it may first seem.

Now to the fun speculative part of my post. There are the somewhat obvious guesses of bindspren for Bondsmiths and gravityspren for Skybreakers, but I never particularly liked those choices. The only more interesting thing I thought of was luckspren for Bondsmiths, fitting Ishar's role as the Herald of Luck. I like @Jaconis's idea of logicspren for Skybreakers, though.

13 hours ago, Ookla the gatorgirl00 said:

A few observations I want to make.

• The minor spren are attracted based on what the Surgebinder does, not how others view the Surgebinder. This is, I believe, a simple but important distinction. Kaladin attracts windspren while riding the winds; Shallan attracts creationspren while drawing; Lift attracts lifespren while growing things. An order that causes others to be afraid of them would not have fearspren as the minor spren because the others are attracting the spren with their emotions, not the Surgebinder.
  • Minor spren can likely be found almost anywhere. The Radiants operated all over Roshar, so they would need to attract minor spren everywhere. So, while the image ls amusing, there is probably not any order running around drunk in order to attract a minor spren of alespren. It should be noted that not all spren can be seen in the phyysical realm, so spren found almost anywhere can be more broad than it may first seem.

Now to the fun speculative part of my post. There are the somewhat obvious guesses of bindspren for Bondsmiths and gravityspren for Skybreakers, but I never particularly liked those choices. The only more interesting thing I thought of was luckspren for Bondsmiths, fitting Ishar's role as the Herald of Luck. I like @Jaconis's idea of logicspren for Skybreakers, though.

You say that minor spren are attracted by what a Surgebinder does and while that is true, Lift attracted lifespren while not using any of her abilities. I am at work and can't look up the passage, but I am referring to when she was walking through the fields and the lifespren left the plants and followed her for a bit. (any help with this one guys? I think it was when she was on her way to the Grand Indistinctivename).

I do like the idea of minor spren mostly because it goes well with the spren having something to do with Shardplate.

I like the flamespren for Dustbringers, it make sense and fits with tier soulcasting properties. I still feel like maybe we are missing a connection. I tired plugging in what we know into the 10 essences chart but couldn't really come up with anything definite. Brandon does too much planning for this to be random. 

Stormlight.xlsx

I'd noted the Lifespren thing as well. But it probably should be noted that we also see Lift attract Windspren. 

I think there may be two minor spren for every KR. But that's womething that requires more research. 

This said, I actually like the Rotspren for Releasers as much as Flamespren. 

On 12/5/2016 at 1:10 PM, WildSpeculation said:

Looking at the two 'confirmed' (by that I mean I see it as canon, so there :P) sets of Major/Minor spren, we see an emotion/idea spren and a nature spren. I wonder if that, admittedly, small sample size sets the pattern for us to follow. If it does then it throws my guesses out the window into the highstorm. Any educated guess or non-educated guesses?

I agree, that for the Lightweavers it's probably Creationspren and I like your guess of Logicspren for Elsecallers. I'm not sure about Flamespren for Releasers, we need to see them first, I'm not sure it has anything to do with Fire. For Skybeakers, are there Righteous spren?

On 05/12/2016 at 7:22 PM, Pagerunner said:

Skybreakers follow the law; I don't think we've seen anything like obediencespren or bureaucracyspren, but maybe fearspren are a possibility? (That's probably selling the Skybreakers short. They're interesting, but they're not bad guys.)

The concentrationspren that showed up while Lift was havign the scribes research?

Skybreakers strike me more as the ones who'd attract logicspren, as they've been clearly shown to require a heavy focus on the left brain for their modus operandi.  They learn to act in rational ways, rather than follow their emotions (as compared to instincts).  Elsecallers are going to be an Order that attracts something else for their minor spren, I think.

Edited by dvoraen

8 hours ago, dvoraen said:

Skybreakers strike me more as the ones who'd attract logicspren, as they've been clearly shown to require a heavy focus on the left brain for their modus operandi.  They learn to act in rational ways, rather than follow their emotions (as compared to instincts).  Elsecallers are going to be an Order that attracts something else for their minor spren, I think.

I can see that. Maybe Elsecallers would have concentrationspren or the other one that was mentioned in WoK. They spren that sometimes shows up at great debates, is that logicspren or something else?

• Chaos locked this topic