why Rock can fight

Mysty

Rock has obviously been trained how to fight, he is too good with the bow, spear, and westeling to not have been trained somehow. Yet he insists he is the wrong son and therefore cannot fight.

What if Rock was a fourth son, until one of Rock's older brothers died and Rock became the third son. It would have had to happen after Rock was old enough to begin training in earnest. How else could he nearly beat Kalidan in an unfair fight?

How else could he nearly beat Kalidan in an unfair fight?

Kaladin is half his size, and still neatly beat Rock without much in the way of exertion. Dunno if I'd say Rock almost beat him! :P

As to Rock, it's possible he was the Nuotoma (sp?) that 'fought' Sadeas or that there was no Horneater procession. There's been no Shardplate duels in a year, and yet Rock wasn't a bridgeman for that long. It's possible there's something up. For a cook, Rock wrestles well and fires a bow well.

Edited by Moogle

from WoK chapter 55

I will not fight,” Rock said. “Is not my place.” He glanced up at the spheres, then smiled faintly. “But shooting bridge is all right.”

“How did you learn?” Kaladin asked.

“Is secret,” Rock said firmly. “Take bow. Bother me no more.”

I would guess there is a story about his training

Kaladin is half his size, and still neatly beat Rock without much in the way of exertion. Dunno if I'd say Rock almost beat him! :P

Kaladin was huffing and puffing after he finally Lashed Rock. I'd say that is just a little bit of exertion :)

As to Rock, it's possible he was the Nuotoma (sp?) that 'fought' Sadeas or that there was no Horneater procession. There's been no Shardplate duels in a year, and yet Rock wasn't a bridgeman for that long. It's possible there's something up. For a cook, Rock wrestles well and fires a bow well.

I'm glad you caught that to. I just mentioned in another thread about the first bout in over a year for Shards.

Either the Alethi don't count challengers who don't bring Shards to the table, or something smells like fish.

While I think on it more, why didn't the Neuotoma rent a set of Plate from the King? All his possessions minus his family could have payed for it surely. 

Scratch all that. Sadeas wouldn't duel without a payout.

Kaladin was huffing and puffing after he finally Lashed Rock. I'd say that is just a little bit of exertion :)

Try wrestle someone with twice your weight and you will see that this aren't soo odd =)

Rock being able to see hidden spren to me are much more odd that his fight skill, The man are like a walking radiant detector, if he anyone have a "secret" spren he can detect with easy, very handy hability =)

For a secret warrior, Rock certainly cooks well!

He could have skill at fighting but not be a warrior.

We don't know much about the Horneaters. Life seems to be tough on the peaks.

Bows are for hunting not just for war. Spears can be used in the same manner.

Rock said that he would not fight not that he could not.

Not to say that he did not learn to fight when he was not supposed to.

Kaladin did the same thing.

Agreed. There doesn't necessarily have to be a secret to it. Knowing a few martial-style skills (like wrestling or archery) doesn't necessarily mean that one ever expected or intended to be involved in actual fighting.

Note, for a parallel, that Szeth is apparently quite an expert in Kammar (Shin hand-to-hand martial art) despite the fact that he was, before becoming Truthless, apparently an educated member of society. Of course, it's possible that even their warriors are that well-educated despite being the lowest caste in their society and near-slaves, but it seems unlikely.

Edit: Of course I HOPE it's more interesting than that... I could see Rock being some kind of horneater version of Truthless, or maybe (what with the seeing spren thing) he was sent intentionally to find and attach himself to an ascendant Radiant... but he just doesn't seem that devious.

Edited by FingerstyleFunk

• 3 years later...

If I remember correctly third sons are craftsman. First and second are cooks. Maybe he was a third son who could be a blacksmith or bow maker could be why he was so good with a bow. If one brother died he could then become a cook. His wrestling skills could just be from wrestling with brothers or it could just be a horneater favorite pass time.

On 1/29/2014 at 5:56 PM, kmosiman said:

This is the most logical explanation.... not as exciting though:P

• Chaos locked this topic