Heralds and Immortality

Windrunner

Brandon just posted a really cool breakdown of immortality in the cosmere on reddit. The most interesting bit of it for me is this though:

Some of these blend together--the Heralds, for example, are technically a variety of cognitive shadow.

Heralds are a type of Cognitive shadow. This makes intuitive sense to me, as they're killed repeatedly so there must be some method by which they continue to live, but I thought it was very interesting.

I think that a god (probably odium) or some automatical method, simply re-forge their string to the physical everytime the Desolation is about to start

PS: I added that wob and some other to 

Edited by Yata

7 hours ago, Windrunner said:

This makes intuitive sense to me, as they're killed repeatedly so there must be some method by which they continue to live, but I thought it was very interesting.

Pretty much this. Though I choose to interpret this as supporting evidence for my theory that the Heralds possess different bodies with each Desolation, while maintaining the same Cognitive aspect.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

Pretty much this. Though I choose to interpret this as supporting evidence for my theory that the Heralds possess different bodies with each Desolation, while maintaining the same Cognitive aspect.

Do You mean  they possess a random body and then they "heals" it to turn it in their right look or that everytime they are different looking ?

Just now, Yata said:

Do You mean  they possess a random body and then they "heals" it to turn it in their right look or that everytime they are different looking ?

Either, since both are possible. Returned change their physical appearance because of a Cognitive being (i.e. their Divine Breath), so the Heralds might be able to do the same if they are similar enough in that regard. Or maybe they are not similar enough, and they can't just the appearance of their host. I don't think it's too important either way (though I learn towards the former).

20 minutes ago, Argent said:

Either, since both are possible. Returned change their physical appearance because of a Cognitive being (i.e. their Divine Breath), so the Heralds might be able to do the same if they are similar enough in that regard. Or maybe they are not similar enough, and they can't just the appearance of their host. I don't think it's too important either way (though I learn towards the former).

I am not an huge fan of the possession's theory (I am more about the actual "fix of the physical string") but in the case, I suspect it's more likely there is some kind of "trasformation in the host".

1 hour ago, Yata said:

I am not an huge fan of the possession's theory (I am more about the actual "fix of the physical string") but in the case, I suspect it's more likely there is some kind of "trasformation in the host".

I agree that's it's probably not a possession theory. I'm more a fan of a new physical body being created for them every time.

10 hours ago, Windrunner said:

Heralds are a type of Cognitive shadow.

Well, this gives more credence to the idea that Braize is where the Heralds are forced to go in between Desolations.  Kriss hypothesizes that some of the beings present on Braize are actually Cognitive Shadows...her statement "I believe it's possible some of these are actually Cognitive Shadows" would fit the idea of the Heralds being a mixture of the categories Brandon mentions on this reddit thread.

I wonder if the Honorblades are the physical realm anchor that the Heralds' Cognitive Shadows pull to when they return each Desolation cycle.  They would obviously have a strong Connection to their blade, as they've been using it for millennia to fight voidbringers.

29 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

I wonder if the Honorblades are the physical realm anchor that the Heralds' Cognitive Shadows pull to when they return each Desolation cycle.  They would obviously have a strong Connection to their blade, as they've been using it for millennia to fight voidbringers.

But the Honorblades vanish with their Herald when He/she dies

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic