Recreating Aldonasium?

RustAndRuin

I'm completely a newbie to Cosmere theories, even though I've read most of Brandon's books multiple times. So I'm sure that this theory has been covered, but I want to know what other people have thought/argued/dreamed up in addition. 

What does the fandom think about Aldonasium being created again? We've seen that Shards can be united, like with Ruin and Preservation becoming Harmony. Do we think it's likely that all the shards will combine to create Aldonasium again? 

Thanks for tolerating the rookie!

53 minutes ago, RustAndRuin said:

I'm completely a newbie to Cosmere theories, even though I've read most of Brandon's books multiple times. So I'm sure that this theory has been covered, but I want to know what other people have thought/argued/dreamed up in addition. 

What does the fandom think about Aldonasium being created again? We've seen that Shards can be united, like with Ruin and Preservation becoming Harmony. Do we think it's likely that all the shards will combine to create Aldonasium again? 

Thanks for tolerating the rookie!

That exact question has been asked in-universe, in the Stormlight Archive.  However, the asker (Hoid) knows perfectly well that the askee (Dalinar) has no idea what he's talking about.  (I believe it's in WoR, "Gibletish," although I couldn't tell you the exact page number)

If it is possible (which I find a dubious claim) the end product will simply be a larger version of one of the Shards, i.e. it will be a mass of power with 16 perfectly balanced Intents, piloted by a sophont intelligence.  As we don't know what, exactly, Adonalsium was before the Shattering, it is impossible to tell whether or not this would be an improvement.  

Edited by Landis963

Yeah, if all sixteen Shards were to be gathered again in a single Vessel you'd get Adonalsium's power concentrated once again but the result wouldn't be the original Adonalsium but something else. I find myself suspecting that Ym's story of 'the One who knew everything and experienced nothing' and split itself up in order to experience the world might be an in-universe recollection of Adonalsium's shattering, maybe from a long time ago by someone who knew of it and wanted to try to make sense of it.

Anyhow, since almost everything about the Shattering is still a huge mystery we don't know if recreating Adonalsium's power in a single vessel would be a good thing or not but it's certainly a topic of great interest in and out of universe.

• Chaos locked this topic