How long do Koloss live?

nervousnerd

I've read this statement before but the FAQ once again states that Human the Koloss is alive. So, how long do Koloss normally live?

I get why the Kandra are immortal; TLR specifically made them that way as a gift for following him. Did TLR just accidentally create another immortal race or are they just long lived (when they don't brutally murder each other)? Or was this Sazed's doing?

22 minutes ago, nervousnerd said:

I've read this statement before but the FAQ once again states that Human the Koloss is alive. So, how long do Koloss normally live?

I get why the Kandra are immortal; TLR specifically made them that way as a gift for following him. Did TLR just accidentally create another immortal race or are they just long lived (when they don't brutally murder each other)? Or was this Sazed's doing?

It's mentioned in WoA that a Koloss usually dies when its body grows too big and its heart gives out. I don't know how long that is though.

The original Koloss weren't long-lived at all. This was because they kept growing until their heart gave out (I expect this process to have taken 1-2 decades at most).

Edit: ninja'd by @Spoolofwhool Btw, the reason I think of the 1-2 decade timeline is that if Koloss took to long to 'grow up', they wouldn't be as effective as shock troops, while TLR would have little trouble replacing his entire Koloss army every 10-20 years.

Edited by randuir
ninja'd

Hmm. I forgot about that. I was just thinking that in the Final Empire it was rare for them to live very long anyway.

That fact along with Human still being alive seems to indicate that Sazed changed their lifespan. We really need to see some Koloss and learn what happened to them.

1 hour ago, nervousnerd said:

Hmm. I forgot about that. I was just thinking that in the Final Empire it was rare for them to live very long anyway.

That fact along with Human still being alive seems to indicate that Sazed changed their lifespan. We really need to see some Koloss and learn what happened to them.

Human is still alive?

According to Sazed's copperminds, 20 years or less (Well of Ascension Ch. 19)

Most koloss bodies gave out before they reached twenty years of age [...] However, few koloss lived that long - and not just because of heart failure. Their society - if it could be called that - was extremely violent.

• Chaos locked this topic