roshar's seasons

manukos

Question

in one of dalinar's vision (the one showing the recreance) one of of the soldiers in the guardpost mentions tha it has been winter for two months or something .

normaly that wouldn't be weird but in roshar seasons last only a couple of weeks a month tops , Dalinar is also very confused by this thinking  it impossible .

so my question: What made the seasons change their length so drasticaly

5 answers to this question

The Cycle of Highstorms screws up everything when it comes to weather. If the Stormfather decided to delay a Storm or two/rush consecutive storms, all manner of things could change.

We are fairly sure they follow a predicable cycle (see Stormwardens) but [Speculation] perhaps the Stormfather can affect when that cycle starts at. Let the old pattern naturally end on the Weeping, hold back the storms for a few weeks, then let them go as normal, etc...

Given what we know and what has been speculated, I'd say it's very possible that after Honor's Shattering, the weather patterns could have drastically changed.  The high storms may contain a lot more Stormlight, or simply be fed more quickly, or the Stormfather may be spurred to bringing them more often after he merged with Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow.

A little necro, but I see no voted for answer, I just want to point you to the post Strange passage in Way of Kings. There is lots of speculation there. Short answer, we don't know. However, there is lots of good WildSpeculation going on. For one, Roshar has NO axial tilt, preventing our traditional interpretation of the seasons. Roshar also has three moons and we do not know how that plays with the seasons. I am looking forward to your theories about it!

On 11/22/2016 at 1:25 AM, Jondesu said:

Given what we know and what has been speculated, I'd say it's very possible that after Honor's Shattering, the weather patterns could have drastically changed.  The high storms may contain a lot more Stormlight, or simply be fed more quickly, or the Stormfather may be spurred to bringing them more often after he merged with Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow.

Honor was still alive during the Recreance (i.e. the scene in that particular vision).

As @The One Who Connects pointed out, the prolonged winter at the time was probably due to a drastic change in the highstorm cycle. We've already seen the Stormfather summon an "unscheduled" highstorm in WoR, so we know he has some level of control there. But yeah, we don't know why he would want to prolong winter, or if it was even a deliberate act on his part.

19 hours ago, skaa said:

Honor was still alive during the Recreance (i.e. the scene in that particular vision).

As @The One Who Connects pointed out, the prolonged winter at the time was probably due to a drastic change in the highstorm cycle. We've already seen the Stormfather summon an "unscheduled" highstorm in WoR, so we know he has some level of control there. But yeah, we don't know why he would want to prolong winter, or if it was even a deliberate act on his part.

Given the as yet unexplored effect of triple moons on tides and other weather, coupled with an extra Highstorm in a set where the cycle follows an actual pattern(but not screwing up that pattern in future cycles), etc.. I'm not entirely sure that the Stormfather could ensure the continuance of the specific "season" that he wanted without experimenting/practice