Beginnings and Endings

ScarletSabre

No, this isn't a Wheel of Time thread, despite the implications of the title ^^

I'm someone who second guesses himself in his writing, always wondering if I did something right, if using influences/references/settings that seem blatantly ripped off in my head seem that way to others... so I was wondering how other people manage to start their stories.

I always struggle with my openings, because I always feel like it's obvious I've used the same style of opening as someone I've recently read, if I have a character wake up or admire the scenery around etc. Once I'm into a story the words flow better, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for beginnings and endings of stories?

2 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

No, this isn't a Wheel of Time thread, despite the implications of the title ^^

I'm someone who second guesses himself in his writing, always wondering if I did something right, if using influences/references/settings that seem blatantly ripped off in my head seem that way to others... so I was wondering how other people manage to start their stories.

I always struggle with my openings, because I always feel like it's obvious I've used the same style of opening as someone I've recently read, if I have a character wake up or admire the scenery around etc. Once I'm into a story the words flow better, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for beginnings and endings of stories?

Write them last. Start of with a simple introduction. and build on it once you've finished the book.