StEC General Chat Thread

KChan

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's bound to come up, I had to do some moderating on the 'Tales' thread.

Reader: Sorry, I know you're anxious to dive right into the thick of things, and I'm glad you're that enthusiastic about playing, but we have a setup like we do for a reason. "Tales of Intrigue and Irritating Princes" is a 'Tagged' thread, meaning it's generally only for the characters 'tagged' in the topic heading. With such threads, you need to talk with the Original Poster/Topic Creator and/or myself before jumping in. Threads that are 'tagged' generally have the course of it at least roughly planned out, and spontaneous posters could throw off said plans. Comatose and Emeralis contacted Kchan before posting to make sure it was permissible to add in certain characters without throwing anything off. This is the encouraged course of action. Please remember this for future reference, that way I won't have to do this again x.x

Emeralis: Unfortunately, I was at work last night, so I couldn't catch Reader's post before anyone replied to it, but I had to remove Khrl's response for continuity's sake. My apologies.

Since it's bound to come up, I had to do some moderating on the 'Tales' thread.

Reader: Sorry, I know you're anxious to dive right into the thick of things, and I'm glad you're that enthusiastic about playing, but we have a setup like we do for a reason. "Tales of Intrigue and Irritating Princes" is a 'Tagged' thread, meaning it's generally only for the characters 'tagged' in the topic heading. With such threads, you need to talk with the Original Poster/Topic Creator and/or myself before jumping in. Threads that are 'tagged' generally have the course of it at least roughly planned out, and spontaneous posters could throw off said plans. Comatose and Emeralis contacted Kchan before posting to make sure it was permissible to add in certain characters without throwing anything off. This is the encouraged course of action. Please remember this for future reference, that way I won't have to do this again x.x

Emeralis: Unfortunately, I was at work last night, so I couldn't catch Reader's post before anyone replied to it, but I had to remove Khrl's response for continuity's sake. My apologies.

Ok. Would it be Ok for Zeratul to get involved in that thread, everyone? BTW, what did Khrll say? (just curious).

okay. continue assuming that Krh'rhl is paying attention and not saying anything.

Ok. Would it be Ok for Zeratul to get involved in that thread, everyone? BTW, what did Khrll say? (just curious).

Honestly, I am not sure if they would 'fit'. The "Tales" thread is something of a 'summit' of sorts for scholarly types to try and figure out what the heck just happened with the whole Tolvera Incident. Before we can even really debate on whether or not a grayling would be allowed to attend such a meeting, we have to figure out what sort of place they have in the culture of Alteiryn as a whole. Are they something the other species are well aware of? Is there much mutual interaction, or are the Hamartians more like an urban legend/boogeyman type of entity for the others? This greatly impacts how the other sentient beings of the world perceive and respond to a member of said race. It's not like everyone and everything would turn a blind eye to a seven foot tall gray insectoid-human with nothing but eyes in its head simply because they had a metaphysical "PC" tag floating above their head.

BTW, what did Khrll say? (just curious).

uhhh, something along the lines of "This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules!?"

Also, Aaron's thread is open to anyone, but that isn't the place to ask to participate.

Please ask here or over PM in the future. It breaks the flow of stories if you ask in the middle of one.

(Granted, it hasn't gone anywhere yet *cough*Kuri*cough* but for future reference.)

Edited by Emeralis00

uhhh, something along the lines of "This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules!?"

Also, Aaron's thread is open to anyone, but that isn't the place to ask to participate.

Please ask here or over PM in the future. It breaks the flow of stories if you ask in the middle of one.

(Granted, it hasn't gone anywhere yet *cough*Kuri*cough* but for future reference.)

Sorry man, honestly and truly. I should have something up later today, after I've gotten some sleep. 4 Graveyard shifts in a row will wreck you x_@

Honestly, I am not sure if they would 'fit'. The "Tales" thread is something of a 'summit' of sorts for scholarly types to try and figure out what the heck just happened with the whole Tolvera Incident. Before we can even really debate on whether or not a grayling would be allowed to attend such a meeting, we have to figure out what sort of place they have in the culture of Alteiryn as a whole. Are they something the other species are well aware of? Is there much mutual interaction, or are the Hamartians more like an urban legend/boogeyman type of entity for the others? This greatly impacts how the other sentient beings of the world perceive and respond to a member of said race. It's not like everyone and everything would turn a blind eye to a seven foot tall gray insectoid-human with nothing but eyes in its head simply because they had a metaphysical "PC" tag floating above their head.

The idea I was going for was that the guards didn't know what to do with him, so they put him with all the other weird creatures and people that had been showing up.

The difference there is, the 'weird creatures' are widely accepted sentient races of Alteiryn and its nearby islands, and further have an invitation allowing them entry. These are guards, at a royal family member's home. If something they are not familiar with suddenly shows up, swords and other weaponry is drawn. As I said, we need to work out exactly WHAT is known by the common people (if anything) about the Hamartians, and then MAYBE we can see about working Zeratul into that particular thread, but it is still at Kchan's discretion considering it is, for all intents and purposes, her thread.

Something I don't do, and have never done, is allow for the 'PC card' to be played. This is less an RPG, more of a cooperative storytelling effort. Yes, you guys are the protagonists, yes you are allowed to be exceptional examples of your races, but you are still bound by the rules of the world. This isn't Final Fantasy or Zelda where you can run into NPC-Jimmy's house and rob him blind and he'll keep spitting the same 2-3 lines at you as if nothing happened. If you are an unusual and mysterious entity, undisguised, people are going to stop, stare, and potentially panic. And then attack. Because that is how most people function. As it stands, Zeratul likely wouldn't have made it INTO Tolvera without stowing away in some form of wagon, because the guards at the gates would have been decidedly put off by his bizarre appearance.

Given the tense air inside the city as a whole, I'd be amazed if some rookie didn't take a potshot at the 'monster'.

Like a relationship, communication is key, and that is what this thread (and the PM system) is for. You want to do stuff, that's understandable, but you need to WORK with us in order for that to happen smoothly and with the most enjoyment for everyone.

The difference there is, the 'weird creatures' are widely accepted sentient races of Alteiryn and its nearby islands, and further have an invitation allowing them entry. These are guards, at a royal family member's home. If something they are not familiar with suddenly shows up, swords and other weaponry is drawn. As I said, we need to work out exactly WHAT is known by the common people (if anything) about the Hamartians, and then MAYBE we can see about working Zeratul into that particular thread, but it is still at Kchan's discretion considering it is, for all intents and purposes, her thread.

Something I don't do, and have never done, is allow for the 'PC card' to be played. This is less an RPG, more of a cooperative storytelling effort. Yes, you guys are the protagonists, yes you are allowed to be exceptional examples of your races, but you are still bound by the rules of the world. This isn't Final Fantasy or Zelda where you can run into NPC-Jimmy's house and rob him blind and he'll keep spitting the same 2-3 lines at you as if nothing happened. If you are an unusual and mysterious entity, undisguised, people are going to stop, stare, and potentially panic. And then attack. Because that is how most people function. As it stands, Zeratul likely wouldn't have made it INTO Tolvera without stowing away in some form of wagon, because the guards at the gates would have been decidedly put off by his bizarre appearance.

Given the tense air inside the city as a whole, I'd be amazed if some rookie didn't take a potshot at the 'monster'.

Like a relationship, communication is key, and that is what this thread (and the PM system) is for. You want to do stuff, that's understandable, but you need to WORK with us in order for that to happen smoothly and with the most enjoyment for everyone.

Oh. I didn't know that K'rrhl and Bix had invitations. And I fully expected somebody to take a potshot at Zeratul. I have thought of two alternate versions of his entry scene (one where he bribes the guards and one where he breaks in and they chase him.) Would either of those work?

Kchan? What do you think?

Edited by ReaderAt2046

Another difference is that, in Tolvera, K'rrhl and Bix, while uncommon, aren't really world. Since earth-shells are quite secretive, I'm sure the guards were surprised to see him when he entered the city, but they were able to identify what he was, and would have allowed him in. From what I gather, not much is known about the Hamartions in Tolvera (of course, I could be completely wrong about this). Thus, we can assume anyone from Tolvera would react similarly to a giant grey insectoid as people in our world would. Would you accept a bribe if Zeratul was asking to come into your house? Furthermore, you'd have to figure out how he escapes from the guards when he is so easily noticeable.

Like I said, all these problems would be solved if the Hamartians are a known race on Altieryn.

But Comatose, Altieryn is not our world. It's different, and full of weird creatures, so Hamartians shouldn't stand out so much.

Like Kuri said, the other races we've created aren't weird on Altieryn. Seeing an earthshell in Tolvera is roughly the same as seeing an indigenous Guatemalan in Norway (though slightly less shocking, I'll admit, since indigenous Guatemalans aren't made of rock and prone to instantaneous tunneling). It could happen, and probably has multiple times. But it's not something you see every day. Seeing a Hamartian is like seeing... well... a Hamartian :).

I hope that helps and wasn't entirely redundant.

Zeratul can enhance his physical abilities. He doesn't like to do it because it really increases the rate at which he burns through leyht.

And you're right, the Hamartians are not generally known about.

Seeing an earthshell in Tolvera is roughly the same as seeing an indigenous Guatemalan in Norway (though slightly less shocking, I'll admit, since indigenous Guatemalans aren't made of rock and prone to instantaneous tunneling)

:P oops.

Zeratul can enhance his physical abilities. He doesn't like to do it because it really increases the rate at which he burns through leyht.

And you're right, the Hamartians are not generally known about.

I'm not really sure what that has to do with the situation, unless you're insinuating that he would fight his way through the city which.........yyyyeah. Not the best of ideas on a NORMAL day. When the Prince is having a summit with some very important people involved? That's signing your own death warrant, buddy.

I'm not really sure what that has to do with the situation, unless you're insinuating that he would fight his way through the city which.........yyyyeah. Not the best of ideas on a NORMAL day. When the Prince is having a summit with some very important people involved? That's signing your own death warrant, buddy.

Which is why he didn't end up doing it. He'd do it as a last resort, though, and trust you to see him through.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering because its your turn. I don't know what the plot with the caravan part is, so I can't post by myself. tongue.gif

Is Aaron going to end up in Mawsbeck anytime soon? Because if not, i have some plan i want to implement.

Is Aaron going to end up in Mawsbeck anytime soon? Because if not, i have some plan i want to implement.

Depends on how long the circus arc lasts. The original plan was, since I was the only person doing the side quests at the time, to go through the circus then hit mawsbeck. Now that they are both "running", that plan isn't what I am doing anymore. Though, since you did post in my thread, Arron will eventually encounter your character.

EDIT: is there a banking system?

Edited by Emeralis00

Depends on how long the circus arc lasts. The original plan was, since I was the only person doing the side quests at the time, to go through the circus then hit mawsbeck. Now that they are both "running", that plan isn't what I am doing anymore. Though, since you did post in my thread, Arron will eventually encounter your character.

EDIT: is there a banking system?

Individual kingdoms tend to attempt some form of banking in their capitals and largest cities, yes, but it's in their standard currency, so you'd have to visit a money-changer first if you're trying to deposit outside income. Smaller towns and villages..just watch your coinpurse.

• 1 month later...

ohmy.gif

Oops. I kinda forgot about this. I do something later.

(Technically not supposed to be on 17th shard right now)

EDIT: Reader, once again I would like to remind you that OOC comments do not belong in that thread.

Edited by Emeralis00

• 2 weeks later...

ohmy.gif

Oops. I kinda forgot about this. I do something later.

(Technically not supposed to be on 17th shard right now)

EDIT: Reader, once again I would like to remind you that OOC comments do not belong in that thread.

Thanks for the heads up, Emer. Reader, he's spot on. If you have something to say out of character about a specific thread/sequence of posts, PLEASE use this thread or PM the person(s) you wish to speak to about it.

Thanks for the heads up, Emer. Reader, he's spot on. If you have something to say out of character about a specific thread/sequence of posts, PLEASE use this thread or PM the person(s) you wish to speak to about it.

Sorry about that. I just don't know how to quote one thread in another. (it's still your move)