My Theory for the Future Religions of Mistborn

Jedal

So, before I write this, I would like you to know that I have only read book one of the second Era, The Alloy of Law. So, this being said, some events that could occur are not feasible due to my lack of information. (Please don't nerd shame me.)

I read somewhere that Brandon was going to write a Mistborn, and my mind was suddenly sent whirling in a series of thoughts about what a Modern Era for the Mistborn world might be. Now, this theory is barring any larger Cosmere related events, staying with Scandrial only.

Now, as of the Alloy of Law, there are two main religions of which I know, namely being Pathism and the Church of the Survivor. While all people currently have knowledge of Vin and Elend as the Final Emperor and the Ascendant Warrior, and Spook as the Lord Mistborn, I believe that such facts will fade away with time. By the time that Scandrial reaches modernization, the religions will become almost Abrahamic. Each religion will have common aspects, such as the belief that Vin, Kelsier, Elend and Spook were religious figures, either negative or positive.

The Path

The modern incarnation of the Path, which we be a modern analogue of Christianity, stating that Harmony is the God above who watches over the people with a specific design for each of them. In order to show the one true "path", the Lord Mistborn emerged as the chosen of Harmony, their analogue to Jesus. Now, as a Jesus-like figure, the Lord Mistborn is credited with being a legendary character who committed intense acts of heroism and helped save Scandrial from the chaotic aftermath of the rule of the Final Emperor, who shall be remembered as one who rejected the Path and Harmony, having restricted the people's ability to follow the Path. Elend and Vin will be turned into chaotic evildoers who sought to bring forth evil machinations and enslave the people. They, alongside those who follow the Church of the Survivor, will be said to have disobeyed the rulings of Harmony, bringing discontent into the lives of those who sought to follow the Path.

The Church of the Survivor

The Church of the Survivor will have evolved into something similar to Judaism, with the belief that there are some who were chosen by the Survivor, and are descendants of those who are born to survive. However, it is not limited to those who possess the blood of the "chosen". People who wish to join the Church must prove themselves worthy of being a part of the establishment, either by paying a great amount of money, as proof of their "survival capabilities in the modern world", or being a "chosen by the mists"(an allomancer).The Church of the Survivor is based around religious offerings to Kelsier, leaving animals and money within the mist, as "proof of survival". The leaders of the Church will have become corrupt, dealing among themselves the funds for joining the Church, and taking bribes to bless things in the name of the Survivor. Although the Church will have become corrupt, it remains one of the largest religions on Scandrial, due to the high number who had been members of the Church for many generations.To the Church, Harmony is considered a demonic being who represents constrictions against survival, who attempts to sway those from the way of survival and onto the Path of doom.

The Order of the Sliver

The above name I chose due to not knowing the real name of those who follow the Sliver(Lord Ruler). By the time when the Third Age series begins, the Order of the Sliver has evolved along the lines of Islam, being a largely new and powerful religion, having been suppressed for centuries. Those who believe in the Sliver all agree that their god, the Sliver, had stayed among them for many generations, ruling men and Preserving order. After many generations, however, the Sliver was banished from Scandrial by the Survivor, a false god who sought to usurp the Sliver's place as god of the people. A demonic man who used the powers granted by Sliver to turn the people against him, the Survivor banished the Sliver using evil and Ruinous powers. However, the Sliver raised up two prophets to restore Preservation and end the Survivor. After killing the Survivor, the Final Emperor and the Ascendant Warrior raised the Sliver's empire to new heights, and after dying to defend the Empire, the Lord Mistborn, a second incarnation of the Survivor, used his powers to sway the Empire to his control, and slowly dismantled the Empire. Those who are among the Order of the Sliver do not possess any serious form of liturgy and format for rituals, with each person being called to restore the Empire in the name of the Sliver.

41 minutes ago, Orderbound said:

The Order of the Sliver

Sliverism

Anyhow, interesting thoughts. Not sure I agree with them fully, though religion is not a field I'm interested in much so my thoughts on them are limited. In any case though, really well thought out. I do suggest reading subsequent books, at least Shadows of Self, since they all add more depth to the religions. 

There is also another religion which is gaining ground, which you didn't mention, likely because the only person you would've seen follow is Miles. Once again, read the books to pick up on it. 

Interesting idea. However, judging by what the later books you have the first two off. Survivorism is the closest to  the Catholic Church in structure and belief. Pathians are closer to one of the Eastern Religions (it reminds me of a few, but I don't know them well enough.) All we really know about Sliverism is that they worship Marsh.

I think your ideas have merit, but you should really finish the series as some events make some of those theories very unlikely.

The spoiler is quite spoiler, so read at your peril!

There is actually a fifth religion, which is probably going to be very important 

Spoiler

as it is the faith of the Southern Scadrians. We also now have fairly strong evidence that Kelsier is alive and meddling so you should take that into account. South Scadrians seem to have a paganistic vibe to their faith. But we don't know much about it.

I am a bit of a mythology nerd, and as a religious person religiouns are something I have a personal interest in.

I think you are a bit confused between the ancient Catholic Church and Judaism as much of what you described (aside from the descent from original believers) was a characteristic of the Medieval Chirch.

There is also only about a hundred years between Alloy and era 3. By Era 4 they probably will be seen mainly as the stuff of legends.

I actually find hard to believe that the Pathism may become something like that....First of all Harmony is about the opposite of "I chose a path for you" and much more Harmony is actually a god who may influence the people if He decide to do it.

9 hours ago, Orderbound said:

So, this being said, some events that could occur are not feasible due to my lack of information. (Please don't nerd shame me.)

Well you see, due to hemalurgic creations, Vin ascending to the ultimate level(In Shadows of Self), Kelsier reincarnating as Wax's long lost twin brother (Also in Shadows of Self) and finally, the Andonalsium(probably butchered the spelling) reforming, being shattered(this time with twenty shards) by Kelsier and Vin's child who then absorbed all of the power becoming an immortal master of the universe(Actually, end of Alloy of Law, you must have missed it:rolleyes:)..... YIU DUN GOOFED!!!!!

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P 

8 hours ago, Yata said:

I actually find hard to believe that the Pathism may become something like that....First of all Harmony is about the opposite of "I chose a path for you" and much more Harmony is actually a god who may influence the people if He decide to do it.

I am trying to account for the human element, namely the corruption and forgotten tenants of the religion. Also, I remember Harmony distinctly saying that he did not want people to worship him, and his interpretation of the Shard's Intent was that of allowing choice, not forcing a form of his religion upon people. 

But that's just my thought.

2 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Keep in mind that any corruption in the Survivorist church will likely not occur 

Reveal hidden contents

without Kelsier playing some kind of role. He's never known when to stop meddling and almost certainly plays an active role in his Church.

I was about to try and counter that lol

I have imagined Pathians to be similar to Buddhists. I also don't see that The Path is likely to show much change in the future. I think it has too much connection to Terris (though surprisingly little specific mention during any scenes in The Village, so I may be wrong.) Vin and Elend being demonized seems unlikely unless Elendel changes drastically. They are too visible to forget easily.

We also don't know when exactly the Space Opera Era will take place. I think it will be at max only around 100 years later (no WoB just estimation). The 350 years of change we have seen might seem to indicate major changes as you have said but I think the Religions will stall similar to the slow development of technology. Established religions generally only see major changes by branching off in my mind.

I'd be curious how much of an impact the Kandra will have on those possible religions.  We know many of them will likely still be alive throughout all of the eras we see, unless there's some type of mass extinction, and they remember the truth, even if a lot of those alive (almost all) don't remember Vin, Elend, Kelsier, or Sazed personally.  Harmony also speaks directly to them, so it's not like they'd twist or forget him too easily, (spoilers for Era 2 after Alloy of Law):

Spoiler

barring a mental snap like Paalm, however that happened.

I suspect, however, that they will continue to somewhat separate themselves from the rest of Scadrian culture and therefore not have a huge effect.  It's possible they'll end up moving the other direction, though, with some of them nearly forgetting they're Kandra and trying to just live normal lives.  They could even appear to age if they want, to avoid a Dorian Gray type scenario (in terms of other people coming to realize they're immortal).

• Chaos locked this topic