Parshendi, Voidbringers, and Chasmfiends

Argent

7 hours ago, Magestar said:

This is very probable.  I actually agree with you, and think that it's likely that the two are connected.

so you guys don't agree with "chasmfiends that pupate during the everstorm will become voidbringers because they will bond a odium spren"?

14 hours ago, marianmi said:

so you guys don't agree with "chasmfiends that pupate during the everstorm will become voidbringers because they will bond a odium spren"?

It's hard to confidently agree with a statement like this when we don't actually know what a Voidbringer is. I think we might get some nasties coming out of the chasmfiends' chrysalises in Oathbringer, with the Alethi no longer being on the Plains to kill them, and the Everstorm bringing a regular dose of bad. But would those nasties be classified as Voidbringers? I don't know.

On 10/9/2016 at 8:49 PM, Turbonator said:

And then each chasmfiend would control a horde of chulls, each of which controls a whitespine. 

I myself really think that all greatshells will be turned into Voidbringers. Even whitespines, which might turn out to be scarier than chasmfiends. Heck, skyeels might turn evil too.

This is actually pretty similar to a theory I've been developing, which is related to the whole topic as well. I personally believe that the various "evil" things we've seen in various parts of the books (Stormform Parshendi, Thunderclasts, and Midnight Essences) are created by Odium somehow with a form based off of a normal creature of Roshar. In the case of the Parshendi, he directly changes their form and controls them. Thunderclasts seem very similar to chasmfiends (both are described with "arrow-like" heads), but we see a Thunderclast being created directly from the stones beneath the Purelake. In this case, I think it is only the design that is based off the chasmfiend, rather than Odium taking control of an actual chasmfiend and shape-changing it. The third section of the theory is that Midnight Essences are based off of whitespines (both are extremely agile predators that hunt primarily by smell and work in packs). I don't have a ton of proof other than "Hey, this seems to fit, sort of", and I'm still working on an underlying theory component (which creatures, how, why, etc), but I figured I throw it out there and see what people think.

My first guess at the rationale behind this is that Odium likes to take things that somebody else made and make "corrupted" versions of them somehow, because he hates people and all that. Thus, the Parshendi bond with the voidspren is like a corrupted version of the Nahel bond, and the thunderclasts/Midnight Essences are like corrupted versions of normal creatures. This could possibly tie into the fact that chasmfiends have a symbiotic relationship with spren as well, which may be how Odium chooses the creatures to corrupt. I don't believe we have any information either way on whitespines, which makes it hard to verify that part of theory. But I will be looking out in future books for more evil creatures and whether they correspond to regular creatures in some way. My current candidates for Odium to corrupt include skyeels and Ryshadium (as both have a spren bond at some level).

These creatures could also be related to the Ten Deaths, as someone pointed out earlier.

1 minute ago, BeskarKomrk said:

This is actually pretty similar to a theory I've been developing, which is related to the whole topic as well. I personally believe that the various "evil" things we've seen in various parts of the books (Stormform Parshendi, Thunderclasts, and Midnight Essences) are created by Odium somehow with a form based off of a normal creature of Roshar. In the case of the Parshendi, he directly changes their form and controls them. Thunderclasts seem very similar to chasmfiends (both are described with "arrow-like" heads), but we see a Thunderclast being created directly from the stones beneath the Purelake. In this case, I think it is only the design that is based off the chasmfiend, rather than Odium taking control of an actual chasmfiend and shape-changing it. The third section of the theory is that Midnight Essences are based off of whitespines (both are extremely agile predators that hunt primarily by smell and work in packs). I don't have a ton of proof other than "Hey, this seems to fit, sort of", and I'm still working on an underlying theory component (which creatures, how, why, etc), but I figured I throw it out there and see what people think.

My first guess at the rationale behind this is that Odium likes to take things that somebody else made and make "corrupted" versions of them somehow, because he hates people and all that. Thus, the Parshendi bond with the voidspren is like a corrupted version of the Nahel bond, and the thunderclasts/Midnight Essences are like corrupted versions of normal creatures. This could possibly tie into the fact that chasmfiends have a symbiotic relationship with spren as well, which may be how Odium chooses the creatures to corrupt. I don't believe we have any information either way on whitespines, which makes it hard to verify that part of theory. But I will be looking out in future books for more evil creatures and whether they correspond to regular creatures in some way. My current candidates for Odium to corrupt include skyeels and Ryshadium (as both have a spren bond at some level).

These creatures could also be related to the Ten Deaths, as someone pointed out earlier.

Perhaps also the Unmade? They trace back to ol' Odie too.

10 minutes ago, BeskarKomrk said:

Definitely possible. They could have been made to mirror the Stormfather and Nightwatcher.

I posted something a few months back about the Unmade, some suspicious and interesting stuff I discovered. Lemme find the link.

Here you go.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/55745-death-rattles/#comment-481313

Edited by bleeder

• Chaos locked this topic