Lower stakes?

Toaster Retribution

There are people who are brought back to life in the Cosmere. Szeth, is an example. There is also a theory that the afterlife will become important in later Stormlight books, and we will have POVs from the characters there. Sazed also talked about eventually learning to put souls back into bodies. Is anyone else than me worried that death will lose its sting in the Cosmere? That it wont matter as much, because we just get afterlife POVs, or revivals?

Actually Brandon said he doesn't want to show the Cosmere's afterlife (The Beyond) . At most we may explore the limbo where the mind of a recent dead stay before go in the actual afterlife...but we actully already see it to be honest 

Edited by Yata

I believe Sanderson also said that he won't make death insignificant in the Cosmere.

I don't recall hearing about Sazed learning to return souls to bodies, but it makes sense due to what we've already seen, such as the Returned on Nalthis. I don't think his Intent will allow him to do it much, so people won't suddenly become immortal on Scadrial.

About the healing fabrial, there probably aren't many left, but Edgedancers can heal, as well, so death can become temporary for some of the main characters, but people need to be revived shortly after dying, and if a Surgebinder dies, it is possible that they will lose their powers due to their Nahel bond being broken (that's just my guess, I'm not sure what would happen), so it won't be without consequence.

About POVs in the afterlife (cognitive shadows and the like), it could actually make things more interesting. But we'll see.

Edited by Turbonator

The Szeth-type revival IMO isn't an issue because it has to be done really quickly after death; it's more analogous to resuscitation in RL than genuinely coming back from the dead, though it can be done from more complete injuries.

Even the Returned, which are basically undead, are Returned very promptly.

I believe the only case of returning from a more than momentary death is the BOM/SH implied one of Kelsier, and that took a series of unusual things (Cognitive Shadow preserved from passing on by the Well's power, Connection to Spook, some kind of yet unexplained Hemalurgy trick).

• Chaos locked this topic