Scadrial metal vs. Cosmere metal

kaos

Question

Does Scadrian metal, with it's abnormal investiture, have special properties? For example, can you make a hemalurgic spike out of metal from Roshar or is a Scadrian metal neccessary? Does an Allomancer need Scadrian metal to burn or would Nalthis metals do? Ditto for Ferrings.

11 answers to this question

So long as it's one of the sixteen base metals, it should function on all Shardworlds.

However, things get complicated on other worlds when it comes to alloys. On Scadrial, the prevalence of the Metallic Arts means that the composition of Allomantically-correct alloys (and things like Allomantically-inert aluminum alloys) are a subject of study and are going to be common knowledge to metallurgists. On any other Shardworld, however, the relative lack of importance of metal compositions means that it might not be easy to get your hands on alloys of the right composition.

44 minutes ago, kaos said:

Does Scadrian metal, with it's abnormal investiture, have special properties? For example, can you make a hemalurgic spike out of metal from Roshar or is a Scadrian metal neccessary? Does an Allomancer need Scadrian metal to burn or would Nalthis metals do? Ditto for Ferrings.

I don't think Scadrian metal has abnormal investiture. It's just made directly from Ruin and Preservation, which I guess is a bit different than how metals on other worlds were made. As such, I don't think it matters from which world the metal you burn comes from. 

16 hours ago, PantsForSquares said:

So long as it's one of the sixteen base metals, it should function on all Shardworlds.

However, things get complicated on other worlds when it comes to alloys. On Scadrial, the prevalence of the Metallic Arts means that the composition of Allomantically-correct alloys (and things like Allomantically-inert aluminum alloys) are a subject of study and are going to be common knowledge to metallurgists. On any other Shardworld, however, the relative lack of importance of metal compositions means that it might not be easy to get your hands on alloys of the right composition.

I'll second this.  the other key point is that the metal itself does not have (as far as we know) any unusual properties, in allomancy it is just the focus, in ferruchemy and hemalurgy it is just a holder.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

I'll second this.  the other key point is that the metal itself does not have (as far as we know) any unusual properties, in allomancy it is just the focus, in ferruchemy and hemalurgy it is just a holder.

To add onto this, even aluminum's unique property of being resistant to Investiture applies to other Shardworlds. In Sel, for instance, it is the only metal which cannot be Forged.

Since there are alloys of aluminum which maintain its Investiture resistance, they should also behave similarly on other Shardworlds.

4 minutes ago, PantsForSquares said:

It's mentioned in Alloy of Law that pure aluminum isn't good for bullets, so they've had to develop alloys which still had aluminum's resistance, but could be used in firearms.

Did they actually say "Alloy" or simple better bullets ? Because it's possible they have a inner core of.....lead (for example) layer of Alluminium

11 minutes ago, Yata said:

Did they actually say "Alloy" or simple better bullets ? Because it's possible they have a inner core of.....lead (for example) layer of Alluminium

I just checked on my Kindle version, and Chapter 7 has a scene where Wax is testing an aluminum bullet, and he comments how it's an alloy, but he doesn't know the composition, nor does it match other alloys.

Here's the passage:

“Yes, but they’re not pure aluminum. They’re something stronger, and the grain is wrong. I’ve never seen this alloy before. And the bullets must be yet another new alloy; I'll need to test those next."

Just now, PantsForSquares said:

I just checked on my Kindle version, and Chapter 7 has a scene where Wax is testing an aluminum bullet, and he comments how it's an alloy, but he doesn't know the composition, nor does it match other alloys.

Here's the passage:

Thanks I missed it

26 minutes ago, Yata said:

Two quotes from the book, both by wax, from chapters 7 and 14 are:

Yes, but they're no pure aluminum. They're something stronger, and the grains is wrong. I've never seen this alloy before. And the bullet must be yet another new alloy;

And I'm sure the rounds are of a much heavier alloy than the revolver itself, though I haven't had a chance to test them yet. They're lighter than lead rounds, but not even close to as light as pure aluminum would be. The percentage is still high, but the alloy must solve most of those issues[related to bullet flight] somehow.

So I suppose they are indeed an alloy, and not an aluminum coating.