[WoB] The Woman on The Way of Kings Endsheet

Argent

I recently had a conversation (which you may have seen in other threads*) with Brandon over at Reddit about the nature of Hoid's "magical translation" - the way he can speak seemingly any language. As an aside to that conversation (which I will post in a different thread for completeness' sake), I asked about the infamous woman on The Way of Kings endsheet - you know, the one we've speculated to be Cultivation, her Vessel, a Herald, I think I even saw somebody suspect she is Dalinar's wife.

Well, turns out she (probably) isn't anyone specific.

Crud.

Q: And to keep things somewhat grounded in Roshar, I was talking with someone about the woman on The Way of Kings endsheet, and I wondered about her identity - could you reveal whether she is supposed to depict a someone/something specific, or is it just a somewhat generic image of a woman?
A: The woman on the border of the maps isn't meant to be anyone specific, I don't believe. I've never asked Isaac about it, actually.

Source

* I like the idea of spawning dedicated threads to new Words of Brandon, to promote visibility. Hence this thread.

41 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

Something I don't think has been noted before: the red symbol at 7 o'clock appears to have spren or Light in it... Interesting.

I don't think I see it. 

42 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

Now we have almost nothing to go on for what that chart is.

I think the strongest piece of evidence we have available is the symmetry about the origin in each of the smaller glyphs. I don't know what it is evidence for (I argued that the entire chart depicts Voidbinding, and used the symmetry as one of my arguments for this hypothesis), but given how significant symmetry is on Roshar, it has to be some kind of a clue. 

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

The only thing I have noticed on that chart is the "Dustbringer" equivalent Glyph is on the corners of the Kharbranth image.

http://coppermind.net/w/images/Kharbranth.jpg

Oooh, now that's interesting.

Could there be some connection between "voidbinding chart" glyphs and Dawn Cities?

It feels like this is something that someone would've spotted before - we've spotted more hidden things - but I can't remember seeing this.

It's an interesting discovery. I don't know what to think about it. We don't know what the glyphpair could signify on the sketch (though I can accept something related to the Dawncities), and we don't know what it could signify on the chart - because we don't know what the chart is! I hate working with so little information...

22 hours ago, Argent said:

I think the strongest piece of evidence we have available is the symmetry about the origin in each of the smaller glyphs. I don't know what it is evidence for (I argued that the entire chart depicts Voidbinding, and used the symmetry as one of my arguments for this hypothesis), but given how significant symmetry is on Roshar, it has to be some kind of a clue. 

Can you link to any good posts about it? I thought it had to do with Fabrial science (gemstone in the middle for capturing spren, presented with the Shadesmar map because that's where spren live), but I haven't done a ton of research into the subject.

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

Can you link to any good posts about it? I thought it had to do with Fabrial science (gemstone in the middle for capturing spren, presented with the Shadesmar map because that's where spren live), but I haven't done a ton of research into the subject.

I cover it here. The theory itself is outdated, and I haven't considered how much of it is made obsolete, but it does talk about the symmetry of those glyphs - though, at the time, I didn't think to describe it as symmetric about the origin (which is what it is). 

• Chaos locked this topic