Adonalsium could have survived?

Blightsong

Introduction

This is a small theory based almost entirely around this WoB.

Could Adonalsium Have Survived?

As the above WoB states, Vessels have the ability to survive their powers being splintered. This led me to thinking that there may be remenents of Adonalsiums consciousness still alive in at least some form somewhere in the Cosmere. It would certainly be interesting if true.

Counter Arguements

Some information that we don't quite have yet still gets in the way of this being a more concrete theory. Adonalsium could have not been an actual being but rather the developed conciousness of the power or some kind of other force. He might have held the power for too long, and would not have been able to survive not holding the power any longer as this WoB suggests could be the case.

Let me know what you guys think.

10 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

I suppose it's possible, but I doubt Mr A had time to create all the Shardworlds he/she/it did and not have held on to the power too long.

I agree, but maybe there isn't a too long in this case. I mean, Tanavast held Honor for thousands of years and could have supposedly survived.

Main point against it is so far Roshar seems to have the most Adonalsium influence, but we know Brandon wants SA to strand on its own more than other Cosmere works. On the other hand, that doesn't preclude a cameo appearance. And Frost implies Adonalsium saw his shattering coming and put some kind of plan into motion to deal with it (hence why he is encouraging Hoid to stop interfering), which could be a stronger point in favor of your theory. 

I think it's possible there are some Cognitive Shadow of Adonalsium somewhere (or maybe his Cognitive Shadow is the Beyond itself) but I find unlikely that he survived the golpe.

We have a WoB that said "The Shattering happened becaused they killed him"

Hey since we are talking about Mr A's plan now... Why on Yolen does Frost think Hoid's meddling is a problem? If Adonalsium could plan tens of thousands of years into the future, and considering that Hoid was involved in the Shattering in some way by virtue of being there for it, why wouldn't his plan take into account his meddling? Stopping sounds more dangerous to that plan to me. Frost should be able to figure that out.

2 hours ago, Argel said:

Main point against it is so far Roshar seems to have the most Adonalsium influence, but we know Brandon wants SA to strand on its own more than other Cosmere works. On the other hand, that doesn't preclude a cameo appearance. And Frost implies Adonalsium saw his shattering coming and put some kind of plan into motion to deal with it (hence why he is encouraging Hoid to stop interfering), which could be a stronger point in favor of your theory. 

Frost implies Adonalsium had a larger plan. He doesn't necessarily imply that he actually saw the shattering coming if you read closely, it depends who you think he means by "our interference," and whether you think it's actually related to his comments about Mr. A's "grand design."  It's possible he's strictly talking about himself and Hoid interfering in the past. It's possibly a reference to the Shattering, as you suggest, if in fact Hoid and Frost were both involved in the canon version of relevant books, but he might not actually be intending any inference about Adonalsium having a plan to deal with it. It's also possible he's referring to the interference of people capable of worldhopping in general. There are a lot of inferences about the Letters that are slam dunks to make even though they're not technically 100% certain, but this isn't one of them, we'd need a bit more context to consider it likely that he's talking about a plan directly related to the Shattering there. It's certainly a fair theory though.

@Djarskublar I was wondering about this exact same thing, like, two hours ago. The only thing I can think of with the limited amount of data we have on Frost is that he's confusing correlation with causality, or at least just letting his personal feeling get in the way of seeing what Hoid is trying to do.

Hoid is always on a planet right before everything goes to Rust, messing around and interfering with things. And because he's showing up in the middle of a fantasy novel's plot, it's almost always a few short years away from some sort of apocalypse. So all Frost sees is Hoid skipping around the Cosmere and leaving planets right before they almost implode/explode/replode/unplode. Basically, all Frost sees is a meddlesome fool who never stops disaster, but always seems to precede it.

Since he has taken a stance of noninterference, it makes sense that he would think Hoid is exacerbating the situation.

• Chaos locked this topic