Random Speculation

Silverblade5

I would generally agree with this theory, but for two things. 

1. Jasnah's notes mention travel to Urithiru after Heralds left ("The tariffs through Urithiru were growing quite unreasonable."), suggesting that the nine currently-locked gates were operational long after Heralds decided to quit this whole business.
  2. More of a speculation than a proof, but consider: Taln is the only Herald not to break the oathpact; Taln arrives in Kholinar after his return; Alethela was once described as warrior-land; Taln is the Herald of War. It could be considered that Alethela/Alethkar is Taln country, so if anything, it should be Kholinar oathgate that works, not Stormseat.

If I were to guess, I'd say the closing of the gates has more to do with Recreance. Option one is that the Knights locked the gates behind them while leaving, and didn't do the same with Stormseat because the city was crem-covered and abandoned by then, having been destroyed during the Aharietiam. Option two is that with no Radiants to operate the gates, all those round, flat spaces turned into little more than prime real estate and, as someone speculated in another thread once, there's just too much heavy stuff built on top of the gates these days for Oathgate to be capable of transporting it all; Kholinar Palace sits squarely on the local Oathgate, after all. 

I kind of hate it sometimes that all of Roshar is so obsessed about number 10; it makes all number-based theories and predictions really hard to either prove or disprove. ;) Remember that theory that the ten flashback characters are ten Heralds reborn?

Edited by Rasarr

10 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

I'm not sure - I mean, could it have been before Aharietam? After all, Radiants were around long before Heralds left. I'd say it's 50-50.

One order of Knights didn't betray their oaths. I've had a theory floating around in my head for a while that each order was connected to one of the kingdoms along with the Heralds and that each order was responsible for locking their gate. Stormseat would have been connected to the faithful order. 

Maybe there isn't a real pattern... Just the Radiant (probably an Elsecaller or WillShaper) with the mission to lock the Oathgate, failed his mission for an unknown reason (enemy or simply He/she don't get there in time and the Oathbreak began to affect him/her). I think they lock the Gates from the Cognitive and some issues may happen in the dangerous realm of the Spren (much more while you are killing a lot of them)

Edited by Yata

13 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I'm not sure - I mean, could it have been before Aharietam? After all, Radiants were around long before Heralds left. I'd say it's 50-50.

Not really - the next part of the quote I've cited is "By then, the so-called Radiants had already begun to show their true nature.", suggesting this was close to the Recreance. 

@thegatorgirl00 - agreed on this one!

7 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

New Speculation!

Windrunners=Santa

Of course! How else could they drop all those presents on Christmas but by using Gravitation? The entire order is in on this!

• Chaos locked this topic