Best "Final Empire" Quote?

Radiant Returned

We're still 3-4 months away from the leather bound release of Mistborn: The Final Empire, but I'm already trying to decide what quote I would like Brandon to sign in my copy. I just started thinking about this, so I don't have any immediate ideas, but like I did with this Elantris quote last year:

Pain loses it's power when other things become more important.

I want to, for all the books eventually, have a quote that is both relevant to the theme of the book, but also by itself is a motivating or wise piece about life. Any one have any ideas for their own copies?

"Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope." -Sazed

“He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler-and to himself-that he wasn't beaten.”

Those are some of my favourites, as well as the classic "I am hope" and "there's always another secret. But, there's so many good ones, it's hard to choose a favourite...

5 hours ago, Dihatimus said:

“I write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted." It sets the tone for the whole series.

But he'll be writing in pen! I apologise for the terrible joke.... I'll just go now....

anyway, I found a few more good ones:

There is beauty in compassion, but one must learn wisdom too.

Don't forget the ash because you see a little silk.

I feel like that one kind of sums up a lot of Vin's arc, but I'm not sure. 

I like those. I'm going to post some I'm thinking about right now after doing some research on Goodreads. I think I want to go with a Kelsier quote so that I can have one of him, and then one from Vin and Sazed in the next two, but Sazed has some great quotes in Final Empire. So here are some ideas:

From Kelsier

There's always another secret (credit to @CalypsoDreaming for first mentioning this and the next one)

He smiled despite the grief he felt; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler, and to himself, that he wasn't beaten.

Men rarely see their own actions as unjustified

I am the one thing you can never kill. I am Hope.

Do you stop loving someone just because they betray you? I don't think so. That's what makes the betrayal hurt so much - pain, frustration, anger...and I still loved her. 

Also some great ones from Sazed

Belief isn't simply a thing for fair times and bright days, I think. What is belief - what is faith - if you don't continue in it after failure?

Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope.

The right belief is like a good cloak, I think. If it fits you well, it keeps you warm and safe. The wrong fit, however, can suffocate.

Sometimes we just have to wait long enough, then we find out why exactly it was that we kept believing.

Anyone can believe in someone, or something, that always succeeds. But failure...ah, now that is hard to believe in, certainly and truly. Difficult enough to have value.

And one last one in slight consideration from Breeze just because it's amazing. 

Work is like fertilizer in that I'm glad that it exists, I just don't ever want to get stuck in it.

I worry a bit if some of these quotes are too long, as I vaguely remember there being a word count limit for the signature. Also while I found all of these quotes under "Final Empire" quotes on Goodreads, some of Sazed's seem like they were from future books, though it's been well over a year since I read them. 

9 hours ago, Radiant Returned said:

And one last one in slight consideration from Breeze just because it's amazing. 

Work is like fertilizer in that I'm glad that it exists, I just don't ever want to get stuck in it.

Doesn't Lightsong say this in Warbreaker?

Tbh my favorite ones are on WoA and Hero of Ages like the "I am unfortunately the hero of ages" part.

I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope - Kelsier

Yeah this one is pretty good but my personal favorite is this

Do you stop loving someone just because they betray you? I don't think so. That's what makes the betrayal hurt so much - pain, frustration, anger...and I still loved her. - Kelsier

"'O'There is always another secret' rightfully belongs to Secret History. I actually really like the one about silk and ash. 

Two from Alendi: "Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am." And "When they see me, do they see a liar?" Both fit this book very well; understandably as they are respectively the first and last lines in the prolouge's epigraph.

Also from the prologue: “New days are coming. Survive a little longer, and you just might see great happenings in the Final Empire." Considering what follows... 

And this: “That wasn’t foolhardy—that was just a small diversion. You should see some of the things I’m planning to do!” If only Dox knew just what Kell meant... could you imagine his reaction?

The following has huge spoilers, so be warned.

Spoiler

'Hey Dox, I'm planning to inspire the first major Skaa revolt by starting a religion around me, becoming a martyr, then cheating death, recruiting a God, conning a bunch of people from another planet in order to become a God, ascending to Goodwood, conning a different God, then wrapping it all up by coming back to life, and taking charge of a civilization we didn't even know existed. Oh, and I'm just getting started... My story has a long way to go yet.' Just picture the look on poor Dox's face... (The last line is paraphrased from the Suvudu cage match.)

12 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The following has huge spoilers, so be warned.

Hide contents

'Hey Dox, I'm planning to inspire the first major Skaa revolt by starting a religion around me, becoming a martyr, then cheating death, recruiting a God, conning a bunch of people from another planet in order to become a God, ascending to Goodwood, conning a different God, then wrapping it all up by coming back to life, and taking charge of a civilization we didn't even know existed. Oh, and I'm just getting started... My story has a long way to go yet.' Just picture the look on poor Dox's face... (The last line is paraphrased from the Suvudu cage match.)

This was awesome.

I can't find definitively who says "Men rarely see their own actions as unjustified", it's either Kelsier or Sazed. Anyone know?

3 hours ago, Radiant Returned said:

This was awesome.

I can't find definitively who says "Men rarely see their own actions as unjustified", it's either Kelsier or Sazed. Anyone know?

Lucky for you, I am bored at work and own the Kindle version. That quote it is from Kelsier; it is an inner monologue musing. Full paragraph:

"Though, it would be best not to trust his narrative too closely, Kelsier thought, running his fingers across the page. Men rarely see their own actions as unjustified."

This is HoA, but it's still the best :)

“Elend smiled. "Oh, come on. You have to admit that you're unusual, Vin. You're like some strange mixture of a noblewoman, a street urchin, and a cat. Plus, you've mangaged - in our short three years together - to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick.”

On 8/9/2016 at 6:25 PM, CaptainRyan said:

Lucky for you, I am bored at work and own the Kindle version. That quote it is from Kelsier; it is an inner monologue musing. Full paragraph:

"Though, it would be best not to trust his narrative too closely, Kelsier thought, running his fingers across the page. Men rarely see their own actions as unjustified."

MVP.jpg

• Chaos locked this topic