Question on WoK cover art.

RYANHOME

On the paperback cover of WoK there are two warriors. I'm guessing the farthest one is a alethi spearman. Does anyone know the affiliation of the closest warrior? He/she seems to be wearing shardplate and holding a shardblade.  

4 hours ago, RYANHOME said:

If that is dalinar shouldn't the Cape and standard be blue with his glyphs on them?

Augh! I totally thought the same thing, which is why I didn't think it was Dalinar either.  I mean, it makes sense if it IS Dalinar, but the coloring threw me off.  Interesting....

I'm absolutely not into the who's who of cover art, but I remember reading that artist is very well known and it was Brandon's dream to have him one day paint the cover for a book of his. So my guess is his instructions just weren't clear enough, and he's too famous for arguing with him about it afterwards.

I think it's kaladen in the background and eshonia in the fore ground. If I look hard enough I swear the spearman is wearing a blue coat. But what interests me the most is the sigil on the Cape. Is it a made up creature or symbol of a faction or race that haven't been introduced?

I always thought it was the scene where Dalinar killed the Parshendi archers aiming at Kaladin (during one of the bridge runs).

The bacground figure's holding a spear and has a shield strapped on their back, which IIRC was Kal's get-up when he was distracting the archers.

11 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

I always thought it was the scene where Dalinar killed the Parshendi archers aiming at Kaladin (during one of the bridge runs).

The bacground figure's holding a spear and has a shield strapped on their back, which IIRC was Kal's get-up when he was distracting the archers.

That would make sense to me. And didn't Dalinar hold out his sword that way in some sort of salute too?

On 7/23/2016 at 3:26 PM, Patrick Star said:

Kaladin definitely did not have a spear while using the Parshendi bones as armor. There is no way a bridgeman would have been allowed to be armed.

On 7/28/2016 at 3:33 PM, CaptainRyan said:

Kaladin definitely did not have a spear while using the Parshendi bones as armor. There is no way a bridgeman would have been allowed to be armed.

Sorry for not specifying, I was referring specifically to the shield, not the spear.  I don't see any reason for Eshonai to be holding either.

On 7/29/2016 at 7:12 PM, CaptainRyan said:

The answer can be found in this earlier thread from 2014:

I found this thread by googling the question "who is on the way of kings cover art"

tl;dr It is Dalinar in the foreground and Eshonai in the background.

Thanks CaptinRyan

• Chaos locked this topic