D&D- Desolations and Dustbringers

Assassin in Burgundy

Just now, Master Elodin said:

Cool. What exactly would a Lightwever be able to do by the way.

Well...

Their Surges are Illumination and Transformation. For the first you'd be able to create illusions that, depending on how intelligent whatever you're facing is, may or may not distract the creature or whatever. Transformation, or Soulcasting, would enable you to disentigrate solid matter, like a sword or armor or something.

Lightweavers aren't the best for combat; they're more of a support. 

(Oh, and kinda random, Brandon's mentioned that Lightweavers may

Spoiler

Learn how to shoot lasers in later books.

Thought you might like to know.)

2 hours ago, Elenion said:

Can I join as a Dustbringer?

Yeah, you're welcome to. 

Unfortunately, I'm gonna be going to a summer camp on Sunday for the next week, so this is kinda going to be put on hold for that. Sorry about that. 

Edited by Assassin in Burgundy
Bad grammering.

1 hour ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Yeah, you're welcome to. 

Unfortunately, I'm gonna be going to a summer camp on Sunday for the next week, so this is kinda going to be put on hold for that. Sorry about that. 

Great, and I'm totally cool with the delay. Should I write up a character now or wait to flesh them out until the game begins?

2 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Great, and I'm totally cool with the delay. Should I write up a character now or wait to flesh them out until the game begins?

I'm fine with it either way. I'll release weapons, armor and general equipment purchases probably once I get back.

needed to add something

It was twenty years ago when Norshon was born: the pampered son of a local ruler. Educated from his youth in the ways of court intrigue, he was brought up to become a noble. But the deeds he would go on to do would be far from noble.

When he was only ten, Norshon met her, the daughter of the town merchant. She was beautiful, intelligent, rich. She became his world, his everything. Even after barely meeting her, Norshon knew they were destined to be together. The only problem was: she never thought the same way.

At the age of sixteen, Norshon endured the agony of watching her court another man, the son of a rival ruler from a neighboring fiefdom. Norshon knew what was going to happen, but when the news of the upcoming marriage came, it did not hurt any less. Norshon's grief overcame him, shaped him. It was then that Norshon taught himself to burn. He kept his ability, and the other he discovered months later, secret. Norshon turned seventeen, and the wedding day drew near. He couldn't stand it, couldn't take the pressure of watching the woman he loved so desperately be married off to another man.

That night, there was a terrible fire.

The groom was killed, the night before the wedding. Norshon was never suspected. The next few weeks were a blur. Norshon was now the best candidate to marry her, and she even appeared to love him. He had everything, until the Darkness took it all. The Midnight Essence killed everyone he knew. Norshon tried to save her, but all he could do was to save himself.

I will find the things that came that night. I will find the things that took her from me. And when I do, I will watch them burn.

Just now, Elenion said:

It was twenty years ago when Norshon was born: the pampered son of a local ruler. Educated from his youth in the ways of court intrigue, he was brought up to become a noble. But the deeds he would go on to do would be far from noble.

When he was only ten, Norshon met her, the daughter of the town merchant. She was beautiful, intelligent, rich. She became his world, his everything. Even after barely meeting her, Norshon knew they were destined to be together. The only problem was: she never thought the same way.

At the age of sixteen, Norshon endured the agony of watching her court another man, the son of a rival ruler from a neighboring fiefdom. Norshon knew what was going to happen, but when the news of the upcoming marriage came, it did not hurt any less. Norshon's grief overcame him, shaped him. It was then that Norshon taught himself to burn. He kept his ability, and the other he discovered months later, secret. Norshon turned seventeen, and the wedding day drew near. He couldn't stand it, couldn't take the pressure of watching the woman he loved so desperately be married off to another man.

That night, there was a terrible fire.

The groom was killed, the night before the wedding. Norshon was never suspected. The next few weeks were a blur. Norshon was now the best candidate to marry her, and she even appeared to love him. He had everything, until the Darkness took it all. The Midnight Essence killed everyone he knew. Norshon tried to save her, but all he could do was to save himself.

I will find the things that came that night. I will find the things that took her from me. And when I do, I will watch them burn.

DUUUUDE!!!!! UPVOTES GALORE!!!!

7 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Thanks! I almost always role-play characters with sub-moral motivations, and I've always wanted to try out the vengeful lover archetype.

Seriously, you should have posted that sentence by sentence so I could up vote them all.

10 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

I will find the things that came that night. I will find the things that took her from me. And when I do, I will watch them burn

That ending though... Reminds me of Steelheart.

Just now, Assassin in Burgundy said:

That ending though... Reminds me of Steelheart.

Never read any Reckoners yet, so I can't help you there.

Just now, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Seriously, you should have posted that sentence by sentence so I could up vote them all.

Thanks! I'm not much for writing stories, but when it comes to one-post backstories I love doing that. Have another one, this one from LG24 (give me a second to find it):

Ashkelon kept his hood up, obscuring his face. Although his Dula features wouldn't have appeared too out-of-place, he concealed them in an attempt to look as imposing as possible, in order to keep any would-be bandits away. He couldn't be robbed... not today, not while he still carried It over his shoulder. He turned and looked at the duffel, making sure that it was still there, even though its sizable weight was assurance enough.

He searched for reputable housing: pick something too rich and he'd make himself a target; pick something too poor and those at the inn might become suspicious if he couldn't act the part. And he couldn't act poor very well: he had lived his life in elegance on a Dula Senator's salary, up until he had traded his previous life for It.

He eventually rejected his previous logic and chose an inn that conspicuously was in monochrome: something that made it stand out from the multicolored street outside. My enemies wouldn't possibly suspect that I'm in the most-easily-found place around, he thought, even though the reasoning exacerbated his headache. He could reason when he wanted to, but he was tired from his travel, especially with It in the bag weighing him down, and the fatigue from the journey had given him a headache.

He walked into the inn, and noted that the inside was as conspicuous as the outside. Reaching into his pocket, he deposited enough coins for exactly one week. He could have paid more, of course, but he decided that it was better for it to be assumed that he didn't have that kind of money. He also didn't leave a tip, that was for personal reasons: he hated the idea of giving someone else more of his money than necessary. He found the idea of tips especially abhorrent.

He lugged his single duffel upstairs and into the room he had been assigned. He immediately pulled down the drapes: an uncovered window was an invitation for thieves, and thieves he hated even more than tips. They were the two T's that he hated: thieves and tips, symbols of corruption, anarchy, and generosity, all of which he hated with a vengeance.

Ashkelon wondered for a second: What will happen to my company? The moneylenders don't know that I've sold out to the syndicate. But he didn't think of that too much: empathy led to generosity, and generosity led to tips and thieves.

He opened the duffel, taking out the few things he'd brought with him. He took out each, examined them, and set them aside. The ledgers of his moneylenders came out first, taken so they would have no proof that there was once anything in the vault. Next was the money from the vault itself, because even though he sold the business to the syndicate, he didn't really count last month's profits as part of that. Third out was a gold-plated crossbow. While it was not very effective, anyone who crossed him didn't know that. Last came It.

He had got It from the syndicate in exchange for selling his business. He had carried the briefcase inside his duffel for most of the trip, and it was It that had made him so paranoid about robbers. He opened one clasp, then another, then a third. He had sold his entire enterprise for It, against the wishes of the stockholders, directors, and the employees themselves.

He opened the briefcase and leaned back as he smelled the money inside.

@Assassin in Burgundy

Edited by Elenion

I'm just doing this for fun; this won't probably be used as a backstory. Inspired by you, @Elenion

He was only two months old when he was taken. The bandits came in the night, looking for easy money. They found him, fast asleep in the crib, and he woke. They took him, and decided to train him as one of their own.

He was never treated well. No one else his age lived in their camp, and the only person he knew was a drill master, who would beat him whenever he dropped his guard. 

Despite the poor treatment, he endured. He became proficient with the sword, more so than most of the others. They hated him for that, and hurt him even more. 

But he had a spark within him. It burned bright, and for every spark, there is a bonfire to come. 

He lay waste to the camp, burning it to cinders. For every light cast, there is a shadow to follow. And that night, he burned bright, but the shadow grew darker. 

He was finished, and headed home to the place he barely remembered. Yet when he returned, it was a wasteland. Strange creatures prowled the nights, and rumor was the Desolations were returning. 

And then he found her body. He barely recognized her face, but he knew it was his mother. And he would have his vengeance, in this life or the next. 

I am the light against the shadows. I am the hand in the gloom. And there are flames not even the Darkness can extinguish.

This is optional, but I think it'd be pretty cool if everyone made something like what Elenion's done. Again, completely optional. 

Added stuff

Lorien was just a child when his parents died by a shard bearer, he was found and the shard bearer killed. He was one of the High Princes, so, the king took him as his son, but he was third youngest and he'd never inherit the throne. Lorien was loved by his family and loved them back very much, but he had a deep hatred for shard bearers and vowed that no other innocent person would be killed by them.

A month later he found out about his power . . . and his shard blade. At first he thought he was cursed, but relized it was a blessing because how else is he going to fight shard bearers? Then he learned and said " Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." He was able to do more things with his power and he learned to Fall. He loved his spren as well, she looked like a young woman in a simple gown and she continued to learn and remember things, that are of our world. 

Hows that?:D

8 hours ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Good job. You don't have to, but could you do like a little personal vendetta against something in italics like how we've done? This is nitpicking, and it's totally optional.

But that would make Norshon less unique. :P  @Conquestor please ignore AiB's request.

On 8/13/2016 at 4:04 PM, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Okaaaay...;) Listen to the Balrog slayer. May his helmets be ever pointy :ph34r:

Ecthelion was actually the one who killed the Balrog, so it's my brother that you should be concerned about. My name's based off of Ereinion Gil-Galad.

Three years ago...

Norshon looked up at Bargo inquisitively. The flamespren hovered with his legs folded, as usual, his closed eyes giving no indication that he had heard what Norshon had asked. One would expect a fiery spren with a handlebar mustache to have been more--well--angry, but Bargo was content to spend most of his time meditating.

At length, his eyes opened, and Bargo spoke is his usual bass voice, "I do not like it. There is too much potential for failure."

"But if we don't do it now I'll never be able to see her again!" Norshon interjected, eyes blazing like Bargo's body.

"You are rash and unwise. You do not yet know the full extent of your abilities."

"How am I supposed to learn more without doing something? Sliding down corridors, climbing a few walls, and burning a few sticks at night isn't much of a practice."

"You would kill for love, not out of love to kill. An honorable motive, but one they will not understand. Even if you succeed, they will hunt you."

"I will do whatever it takes for her. I do not fear to kill."

Bargo looked Norshon up and down, then said, "We will go, as long as you understand the risks."