Thor's hammer with Fabrials

Stormgate

So, I was thinking, and with the Surges of Gravitation and Cohesion, one could potentially make a hammer that acts like Thor's does, only being able to be lifted by someone who's "worthy". I'm thinking maybe using bindspren or something to get the immovability, maybe with a gravityspren for added stubbornness, and something to deactivate the fabrial.

I'm not sure how to do Cap's Shield yet. Maybe half-shards, or something?

On July 6, 2016 at 11:11 PM, asterion137 said:

maybe an honorspren to determine worthiness too

I thought about that, I really did. But since sentient spren only come into the physical realm of their own volition, it's unlikely they would allow themselves to be trapped inside a fabrial gemstone. The closest thing to it is when dead spren bond with a Shardbearer via gemstone in the hilt.

Then again, maybe, somehow. It's another question to ask Sanderson.

On 7/6/2016 at 11:28 PM, Stormgate said:

So, I was thinking, and with the Surges of Gravitation and Cohesion, one could potentially make a hammer that acts like Thor's does, only being able to be lifted by someone who's "worthy". I'm thinking maybe using bindspren or something to get the immovability, maybe with a gravityspren for added stubbornness, and something to deactivate the fabrial.

I'm not sure how to do Cap's Shield yet. Maybe half-shards, or something?

Enough augmenter fabrials could definitely make a shield effectively indestructible, but the real power of Captain America's shield lies in its ability to dampen impacts and vibrations when struck (which is why the holder's arms don't go numb when they use it to block a stream of bullets from a machine gun...).  (I think they've taken to calling the material it's made out of "Vibranium" or something similar in the new movies; not sure if this is consistent with older stories or not)

By a happy coincidence, Shardplate already does this to an extent (which is why falling off a roof and landing on his head repeatedly doesn't give Renarin a traumatic brain injury; if you tried that feat in plate mail, or even normal magical indestructible wizard-armor, you'd still be hurt.

I propose the use of Diminisher fabrials!  Considering that Augmenters can be used to increase thermal energy, which is literally inducing vibrations in surrounding atoms, I would posit to you all that a Diminisher ought to be capable of dampening vibration, perhaps even absorbing an impact entirely.  This would absolutely violate the law of conservation of momentum (as well as the first and second laws of thermodynamics and probably all of the laws of motion...) but...shardplate already does it...so there's no reason the phenomenon couldn't be replicated.

Well, Shardblades can't be replicated by fabrials. The closest thing to an artificial Shardblade is Nightblood.

On the other hand, great idea for fabrial use.

Edited by Stormgate

• Chaos locked this topic