Booooks!

Bluest

Hi, I love books. so I was wondering how many people have finished 4 books this summer, not including audio books.

P.S. I have.:P

Edited by frost
i had to put an emoji in

Well, in the US, summer only officially started on June 20th so if you have read four books already then bravo! ;) 

In the last month or so, I have read the Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Elantris 10th Anniversary edition, the Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron and a Sanderson short (Firstborn). What did you read? Any non-Sanderson recommendations?

Also, just a heads up because it seems like you might be new here, but this forum (Introductions) is used for people to, well, introduce themselves. A topic like this might better placed in the "General Discussion" forum. It is not a huge deal but I thought I would let you know so you can start becoming accustomed to the forum policies. :) 

Marginally better. Conceptually I should've loved them - much of what I liked about Malazan had to with the depth of the world, and much of what I disliked had to do with how vague so many things were; so a series where so many of the mysteries are revealed should've been one I loved. But it's not because it's so incredibly difficult to read. I don't think I've read more than 20 pages in a single sitting. 

17 minutes ago, Argent said:

Marginally better. Conceptually I should've loved them - much of what I liked about Malazan had to with the depth of the world, and much of what I disliked had to do with how vague so many things were; so a series where so many of the mysteries are revealed should've been one I loved. But it's not because it's so incredibly difficult to read. I don't think I've read more than 20 pages in a single sitting. 

@Argent, I had similar reservations about Malazan - I just could not get in to it with how vague and confusing things were. I might give the first book of this series you posted a try; I have a $3 Amazon ebook credit at the moment haha. Oh, speaking of that credit, do you have any books you would suggest? I am a big sci-fi and fantasy fan.

If you have not read "the Lies of Locke Lamora" then may I humbly suggest giving that a try? It has strong language and a few gritty fight scenes but it also has wonderful characters and a great story. If you do read it then may I also humbly suggest pretending that it is a standalone book? The sequels are all hot garbage.

I actually like all of the Gentleman Bastard books, so no concern there.

As for recommendations... this is not the best thread for this, but my go to series for Brandon fans usually include

• Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
  • Lightbringer by Brent Weeks
  • Powder Mage by Brian McClellan
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
  • Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Staveley

29 minutes ago, Argent said:

I actually like all of the Gentleman Bastard books, so no concern there.

As for recommendations... this is not the best thread for this, but my go to series for Brandon fans usually include

• Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
  • Lightbringer by Brent Weeks
  • Powder Mage by Brian McClellan
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
  • Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Staveley

Well, the title of the thread is "Booooks!" haha.

Sadly, I have literally read all of those! I guess it shows we have similar taste in books eh? Ah well, I think the original Mistborn trilogy is due for a re-re-re-re-read. ;) 

Well having reread existing Kingkiller Chronicle books I reread Stormlight Archive and I am now beginning to reread first Mistborn trilogy. 

I notice above people have mentioned the Gentlemen Bastard sequence, I read The Lies of Loch Lamora a couple of months ago and I definitely want to pick up the rest of the books in the series but I got distracted with Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy which I am loving- that man understands characterisation, all of the characters in First Law are such assholes that I cannot help but take a shine to. :)

I tried reading The Vorrh at the beginning of this month but I have a feeling it will sit on my shelf for a while, I couldn't get into the writing style or the tone. I have a habit of dropping books when I'm not in the right frame of mind to read them, then picking them back up months or even years later and absolutely loving them, so we'll see how it goes with this one.

I made the mistake of reading the first two Dresden Files books after I first read Kingkiller Chronicle, I was craving some urban fantasy and had heard so much about them I thought I'd dip my toesies in. However, I felt like the books lacked so much depth or substance having come off epic fantasy that I feel like I didn't really appreciate Dresden Files' offerings. I have been advised by numerous readers that the first books in the series are okay and to keep reading as the series gets so damnation good, but I really struggled with the quick pacing of the books after Rothfuss' languished storytelling, I felt like the books were all action and plot, and I wanted more character development and world building. This is probably why I prefer epic stories because I just love spending time in other worlds hanging out with characters.

Edited by lady_radiant
spelling, grammar, etc

Since summer vacation started I've read Words of Rafiance, Warbreaker, Short stories (that are Sixth of the dusk, the eleventh metal, and the Hope of Elantris), Trials of Apollo, Seeds of Rebellion, and just finished White Sand :D 

• 2 weeks later...